So i bought the CS fog light kit

toomnymods

Established Member
Well I bought the CS fog light kit and am planning to retrofit it to my gt mustang and delete my stock gt foglamps. Is it possible to add in a 55w HID kit with 6k bulbs (main reason i want HID's is because the stock halogens look yellowish and I want pure whitish blue 6k spectrum) and will this be safe for the stock housing? What about wiring harnesses? I prefer not to cut anything, has anyone retrofitted a aftermarket hid kit to the CS light assembly and not had to splice wires?

scott_0

Established Member
I don't recommend a 55w kit in a small housing, 35w will be plenty

trevnut

Established Member
Im planning to do this swap eventually and was planning on using this:

2010 2012 Mustang Fog Light Extensions Set H10 to H11 California Special GT | eBay

It looks like it would work to avoid cutting wires as I know I'd prefer to not cut wires as well.

Those harnesses won't work on a 13-14 with led fog lights per se. The led fog lights have a 4 wire plug. You only use 2 of the wires the CS fog lights. You can just cut the end off and use a deutcsh connector or weather pack connector on the chassis side/harness side and then use the harness above.

scott_0

Established Member
The CS halogen bulbs are 55w already. So why would we want to downsize on the wattage?

haha a 55w halogen does not equate to a 55w hid, trust me a 35w is all that's needed, but do what you choose, it's your car man

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Chris, get a 35W HID kit. It will be plenty bright. Brighter than the halogen H11 bulbs in there now. 55W will be too much for a 2" projector housing. If it were 3" different story, but those projectors don't really have enough venting.

toomnymods

Established Member
Chris, get a 35W HID kit. It will be plenty bright. Brighter than the halogen H11 bulbs in there now. 55W will be too much for a 2" projector housing. If it were 3" different story, but those projectors don't really have enough venting.

So who makes a good 35 watt h 11 retrofit kit ?? I planned on using McCullogh as i have had excellent results with them in the past. Dont think they make 35watt kits

scott_0

Established Member
a lot of people bash them but I've had excellent luck with DDM hid kits, I have their 35w 4500k kit in my CS fogs and they look great, close match to my retrofitted 13 headlights

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
really is hit or miss with ddm. i got so tired of washed out bulbs and ballast not igniting that i went with leds. but that was on my lightning. leds would prolly look decent in the cs fogs but project no light

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
a lot of people bash them but I've had excellent luck with DDM hid kits, I have their 35w 4500k kit in my CS fogs and they look great, close match to my retrofitted 13 headlights
My thoughts on DDM is exactly as 1sweetSVT said. It's hit or miss, and I'd rather just get a more reliable and better produced kit without the potential for headaches.

really is hit or miss with ddm. i got so tired of washed out bulbs and ballast not igniting that i went with leds. but that was on my lightning. leds would prolly look decent in the cs fogs but project no light
Yeah, I don't know why people want to put LEDs in a projector housing. It would be bright to the human eye, but all the light would probably just project back inside the housing. :lol1:

badblackhemi

Established Member
Good thread man, I've been planning on upgrading the bulbs on my CS fogs
Thanks for the link, what specific bulb would you recommend? I just want white, no blue tint. From the looks of it 5000K but I'd rather listen to someone with experience. And since I already have a '11 cs I could just buy new H11 bulbs and be done with it, correct? These? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=4121

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Good thread man, I've been planning on upgrading the bulbs on my CS fogs

Thanks for the link, what specific bulb would you recommend? I just want white, no blue tint. From the looks of it 5000K but I'd rather listen to someone with experience. And since I already have a '11 cs I could just buy new H11 bulbs and be done with it, correct? These? H11: Morimoto 3Five - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc
You will need ballasts and also a relay harness for direct 12V power to the ballasts.

If you want pure white, stick with 4300K, which is the color of the factory HIDs that Mustangs have in the premium lights.

This is everything you need. H11: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

badblackhemi

Established Member

niterydr

Established Member
I've run LED's and HID's in the stock GT/CS foglight housing in mine. The LED's put off NO light at all.

I love my HID's in them. And just like someone else said, 35w HID's are PLENTY bright enough.

Users who are viewing this thread