So I bought a 98' Contour SVT......

Avenger

Established Member
Yeah, for some reason, people piss on CSVT but in 98, that frickin' car was almost as quick as a Mustang GT while braking and handling better.

Bought mine a few months ago. I replaced the controls arms (bushings were shot) and both rod ends and this thing actually handles pretty well. I love it.

TOZOVR

Established Member
if your sho isnt all rusted...i'd think about it:)

Never seen a winter until this year, Aluminum Subframe bushings, poly engine and tranny mounts...96+ brake upgrade (from 10.2" to 11.6) Etc etc.

90k on the Engine with all services and seals done 10k ago. 109k on the body.

RJ

TOZOVR

Established Member
How is it "Much faster"? CSVT>SHO

I was being funny, and my '89 isn't stock...but if you're serious, I think you're wrong. :D The SHO's have shown stock 1/4 mile times in the high 14's...

Then again, the reason I really love the CSVT is because of it's Mondeo roots on the race track.

TOZOVR

Established Member
14s in a taurus?
ive only heard of 15s 16s & 17s from stock

Gen 1's and manual Gen 2's see high 14's no probelm with a good driver.

The 1/4 isn't really where the SHO kills it...on the highway from 90 on up is SHO territory. Just hold on and let the dog hunt.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Very nice! Congrats. :beer: To the haters: Yes, the SVT Contour will eat a stock Terminator's dust and if you're used to the exotic levels of performance that a 600+ HP modded Terminator puts out then yeah, the SVTC will seem slow by comparison.

With that said, this is the car that inspired Car and Driver to write "If you want to throw away your license in about a week, this is the car for the job." Last July I found that this car is tantamount to owning a 540 6-speed. I just wish mine were in the same great shape as SVTF150's (with 50% more miles). :nonono:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Yeah, for some reason, people piss on CSVT but in 98, that frickin' car was almost as quick as a Mustang GT while braking and handling better.

Bought mine a few months ago. I replaced the controls arms (bushings were shot) and both rod ends and this thing actually handles pretty well. I love it.

Just so you know a 98' Mustang GT isn't fast either.......

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Gen 1's and manual Gen 2's see high 14's no probelm with a good driver.

The 1/4 isn't really where the SHO kills it...on the highway from 90 on up is SHO territory. Just hold on and let the dog hunt.
Then there not must be many good drivers. Unless things have changed in the last few years only a hand few have broken into the 14s stock. Otherwise, they et about the same (15.1-15.5) with the trap speed being the difference.

TOZOVR

Established Member
Then there not must be many good drivers. Unless things have changed in the last few years only a hand few have broken into the 14s stock. Otherwise, they et about the same (15.1-15.5) with the trap speed being the difference.

Look over at SHOforum in the 1/4 mile forum...plenty of guys with slips to show. Also remember, finding an SHO in good mechanical shape these days isn't very easy so that may be the reason you're seeing a small difference in the ET. My old '89 ran 15.2 at 93 bone stock, but with bad plugs/wires and in dire need of a valve adjustment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating, but a stock MTX SHO will take a stock CSVT. Doesn't make me want an SVT countour any less. It's about the only car I'd swap for my clean '89. It's not all about going fast in a straight line or even going fast. I have 2 kids as well, that factors in. SVT did an incredible job on the CSVT. I want one.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Look over at SHOforum in the 1/4 mile forum...plenty of guys with slips to show. Also remember, finding an SHO in good mechanical shape these days isn't very easy so that may be the reason you're seeing a small difference in the ET. My old '89 ran 15.2 at 93 bone stock, but with bad plugs/wires and in dire need of a valve adjustment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating, but a stock MTX SHO will take a stock CSVT. Doesn't make me want an SVT countour any less. It's about the only car I'd swap for my clean '89. It's not all about going fast in a straight line or even going fast. I have 2 kids as well, that factors in. SVT did an incredible job on the CSVT. I want one.
I'm quite familiar with SHOforum, hell I remember when it was launched and we were on topica. My point is that the majority of SHOs are comparable to the CSVT in the 1/4. It is far and few between that a stock SHO is going to break into the 14s. Yeah yeah, there are guys on SHO forum. I've gotten into this debate numerous times over the last 7 years (when I got my previous CSVT) about the SHO v CSVT and it turns out like the one we are having now.....

TOZOVR

Established Member
I'm quite familiar with SHOforum, hell I remember when it was launched and we were on topica. My point is that the majority of SHOs are comparable to the CSVT in the 1/4. It is far and few between that a stock SHO is going to break into the 14s. Yeah yeah, there are guys on SHO forum. I've gotten into this debate numerous times over the last 7 years (when I got my previous CSVT) about the SHO v CSVT and it turns out like the one we are having now.....

I'd be happy to host a Drag night up here at New England dragway so we could just put to rest the whole thing LOL. Not sure how many stock CSVT's or SHO's we could get together but it would be fun for everyone, no doubt LOL.

Seriously though, Not trying to start a debate or rehash an old one. Fact remains that equally prepared SHO's and CSVT's will be equally close....until the twisties, where I feel the CSVT's smaller size and euro heritage will let it take the lead.

RJ

Last edited:

crazyj0n

Established Member
slightly off topic, anyone heard of the NEW SHO?
will they go through with it?:rockon:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
How much do you want for it?

How much do I want for my car>??? It isn't really "for sale" but I would sell it if someone made me a good offer on it. I really like the car, it is a great daily driver and gets good fuel mileage. Feel free to make me an offer, I still haven't fixed 3rd yet(it grinds). -Mat-

Users who are viewing this thread