Snow/salt/sand + daily driver = what to do?

cah41

Established Member
So I did a preliminary search under salt and/or snow, and didn't come up with much--but if this has been beaten to death, my apologies...
(I also don't think this is technically the right forum, however, I think my question will be answered in the best and quickest manner possible here, so I'll take my chances.)

To the point: I daily drive my Cobra (my only car); I am an in graduate school, and have a ~10-15 drive to campus every day. It sees rain, snow, etc...it has to. Not my choice--it kills me to drive it when it is shitty out, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I try to offset these offenses to the exterior by washing it (or having it washed) every 2 weeks, max, sometimes more often; I use a car cover (when it's clean overnight), etc.

Recently here we have gotten a bunch of snow (~5-6 inches). During the days alot of it melts, then freezes overnight. This melting during the day, plus the salt/sand mixture that is literally everywhere makes it seem like I am driving through thick mud at times. All of this is splashing up underneath the car, over the sides, the rear bumper...everywhere.

My question: is there anything I should be doing to prevent damage from the salt/sand during the time that this snow is around (I suspect it will be gone, with the salt/sand washed away sometime next week). Also is there anything I should do particularly afterward (besides just get it washed?)?

Thanks

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Red cinder? wtf? lol never heard that one before I guess. The salt melts the ice though.

They salt and sand over here too, sucks big time. You wash your car and it's all covered by the time you get home. Soooo glad my cobra is in a garage under a cover. :D Anyways, hose as much of the crap off as you can before washing so you don't rub the salt/sand into your clearcoat. Then I'd try to get the soap/water mix onto the paint to break down some of the dirt as well. I guess a foam gun would work best, but I don't have one myself. Hose off again. Then wash it, making sure to wash the mit very frequently.

black 10th vert

Established Member
If I were you, I'd go to one of those self service car wash bays, so that you can use the pressure wash gun to clean the undercarriage, as well as the wheelwells. When sand/salt stays in the fender lips, and underneath too long, then it definitely promotes rusting, which you don't want. Other than that, you pretty much just have to wash it as often as possible. If it were me, I would either take public transportation when the weather was bad, of buy a $500 beater, just to get through the winter.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Salt prevents a thin layer of oxide from forming on iron, which slows rust down. Because of this, iron rusts at a much much higher rate than if it had the layer of oxide protecting it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it is one of the worst things - driving through that shit when you are a car enthusiast and you know the damage it does

as others have said all you can really do is try to pressure wash the undercarriage frequently as best you can. but even that will not prevent the eventuality, because chances are that particles get to where you cannot get to them

i used to live in the northeast and would cringe when they salted the roads. but just grin and bear it - it sounds like you are doing the right thing by using this car as a tool for a better future! :beer:

20LethalVenom03

Beaver Hunter
Established Member
I drive a truck year around.........I hate putting any vehicle through the salt, but I could never do it to a terminator....you should buy a 1k dollar subaru or something for winters........

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Like they said, take it to a wash bay, and power wash the under carriage. I unfortunately had to drive my Mach through the snow storm like 3-4 weeks ago driving it to my garage down in va, and i was dying. So i did my prep for winter storage or any time i put the car in the garage for more than a week. I cleaned it throughly, wash/was, take the wheels off, clean them--the wheel tire, everything, then try and wipe down the wheel wells while im washing tha car, and then take a hand cloth with some car detailer, and wipe the wheel wells, and anyplace i can reach., and Clean the engine bay it gets in there too!

cah41

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I mean I have thought about forgoing around 500 bucks in mods and just buying a piece of crap car...but then again that might be more trouble (insurance, title/tags, maintenance, etc) than its worth. I say that because I am in central north carolina...so as far as I know, I really only have to deal with solid snow possibilities for around a months time, between mid january and mid February. I feel like, if I can just get through that bad month, month and half or so with minimal damage, I can drive it for the next 10.5 months of the year with no problems at all really.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Yea good call at looking at the cost ratio, When ever i have to mistreat my Mach, like this thread talks about with unfortunate weather, i always, always baby her afterwards haha

MANbearPIG11

super cereal
Established Member
a local place that does tint, detailing, ect does an undercarrage special where they put it on a lift and cleans every nook and cranny and then puts a layer of some sort of wax on it, i know several people that do this and have had good results

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
a local place that does tint, detailing, ect does an undercarrage special where they put it on a lift and cleans every nook and cranny and then puts a layer of some sort of wax on it, i know several people that do this and have had good results

Could you get more info please? Im interested in knowing more, thanks.

xenodragon

Established Member

Its called rust proofing isnt it, and i thought this could really only be done when the car was new.

Also, living in MN i see salt like all year round. Salt doesnt activate below a certain temperature...so if its really cold where you are...the salt isnt going to do anything..I dont remember the exact temperature but it has to be above i think 20-25 degrees.

I got a monthly unlimted car was pass, and I take it to the gas station drive through car wash on my way home from work daily...had the car for almost 3 years, and almost no rust underneath

Users who are viewing this thread