SN95 chassis stiffening for coups and verts

SlowSVT

Established Member
Something got me thinking, most people who have read my post outlining the chassis reinforcements done to my Terminator while I'm sure most find it interesting are saying to themselves "this is all fine and dandy but how is any of this of benefit to me? Someone bringing up the topic for a 500 mega joule ignition system for a mod motor from my perspective has no basis in reality or perhaps why I should buy a Bugatti Vayron which will never happen. What I will address here are steps you can take in a fairly well equipped shop that go beyond what the aftermarket can offer without going overboard like I did

After what I have been through I know every nook, cranny and sheet metal structure in this car and there are some things you can do to stiffen the chassis in a more practical manner then what has been done on my car. My engineering position has me solving the problems everyday and if I screw-up bad enough in my line of work puts my livelihood in jeopardy and perhaps my employer as well which is the last thing I want. In this business reputation is everything! If I'm not sure of what I'm doing I find someone who “is” and I tell my boss I'm a bit out of my league on this one.

One thing that needs to be said is please forgive me for my writing style. My posts tend to read more like a technical manual which can be very “dry” at times but there is a good reason for that as I want to be as clear as possible with minimal ambiguity. I can't help that I've been programmed to write like that and my employers like it that way as Joe Fridays says “just the facts mam”.

Having said that I will add 2 post on this thread what can be done in a practical manner to improve the stiffness of both an SN95 coup and the other posts will cover the vert. This will go beyond adding sub-frame connectors or strut tower braces. Keep in mind you could do more harm then good if you are not giving careful consideration on the dynamics involved. This will include anti-corrosion steps needed after welding were certain areas will not be accessible after the work is done. What is fine in So Cal won't cut it in Seattle Washington or New England even if you don't drive it on wet roads. Aluminum oxide “sleeps”, iron oxide doesn't according to Neal Young.

Keep this in mind, these are just suggestions on how someone might want to take their SN95 chassis to the next level regarding stiffness but does so at their own risk. I take no responsibility for what others do to their cars. Read this as “reference only” and modify things as you see fit. Even if you have no plans on doing any of this you can still gain a new perspective on the chassis structure which applies to any car not just the Mustang

A few basic ground rules and equipment needed:

Metal: Only use 4130 chromolly steel, no low carbon mild steel with the number “10” in it's alloy designation like 1018 which is in the 30K psi tensile strength range vs. 130K psi for 4130. The reason for this is you can use thinner and lighter stock to achieve the same strength. Aircraft Spruce sells it for a reasonable price vs. most industrial suppliers or McMaster-Carr.

Patterns: Make patterns from cardboard then transfer the shape to the sheet metal using a sharpie. Using this method will result in an oversize part that can be ground with an abrasive wheel or air tool to fit closely to the feature you want to reinforce. Don't worry about gaps as long as they are not too big the welder can fill those in. Label each pattern and include LH and RH designations as required. Lots of the patterns I made worked on both sides. After you transfer the pattern to the sheet metal label it using a bold black sharpie so you know where it goes after it's been cut to shape.

Transferring the pattern to the sheet metal: It's best to get a get a bunch of cardboard patterns made and then arrangement on the sheet metal to maximize the yield while minimizing waste. If you have long straight sections use the outside edge of the sheet which for that piece will save you some cutting time, Always consider how the blade cut will enter the sheet and how you can minimize the cut before the blade reaches the pattern to minimize cutting time. You can drill a hole if you need to start a cut that not close to an edge or to cut an edge that bends to sharp for the blade to negotiate.

Weld type: MIG weld only, plain old arc welding results in a messy oxidized beads, TIG welding won't fill-in the gaps as well and will take twice as long.

Primer: Use “weld thru primer” on the surfaces you won't have access to after your done welding that section like a closed box. I have been very impressed with how well this type of paint holds-up after being exposed to so much heat. You will need to grind off the paint directly where the weld bead is going to be laid. You can get this at most automotive body supply stores

Surface abrasion: Buy a box of coarse (red) 3M Scotch and use brake cleaner on everything before painting and welding.

Metal thickness: plan on using mostly .050 thick 4130, .040 thk is the minimum you can easily MIG weld, .060 starts to get heavy but is useful in higher stressed areas, .090 - .125 where you really need streangth but that gets heavy us it sparingly. Welding thick steel is much easier than thin sheet metal. If you don't have experience welding sheet metal find someone who is or you will make a mess of things. If you have a welder come in a do the job like I did do as much of the fitting a prep work as possible. The welder just wants to attach metal to your car and wants to get in and out with minimal delays. If your brackets are sloppy or not prepped (cleaned , painted and masked) it will slow him down but a good one will make sure the job is done right.

Welding sequence: Weld parts to the chassis in a symmetrical fashion. Chances are the majority of the brackets will have both left and right hand parts. Don't weld-up one side of the car and let it sit there for a week then come back and weld the other side. By then the chassis a cooled, shrunk and taken a “set”. Weld a few parts on the LH side then weld the same RH parts to maintain even geometry on both sides of the chassis

Cooling: Use a wet rag to cool the welded panel immediately after the welder has finished attaching a part to the chassis or half way thru a long bead. Sheet metal is thin in the “Z” plain but it's going to be much longer in the “X” and “Y” plain meaning it will expand in 2 directions way more then the third. Long panes may start to warp and bow if not cooled in a timely manner. This is what happened to my rocker panels but the shop was able to remove most of it. Maximum heat transfer works best when the wet rag is folded in a neat fashion as opposed to having it bunched-up in a ball. Rotate the rag on the hot panel often as the moisture soaks up the heat like a sponge. Towels work best as they can hold a lot of water. The rag should be wet enough but does not drip all over the place. A rag that is merely “moist” won't absorb the heat very well which may result in warping. Have an outside faucet close buy to to cool the rag and replenish it will water as need be, The colder the better.

Avoid quenching the metal while cooling: Be careful placing a cool wet rag too quickly on a red hot surface. You don't want to “quench” the metal making it harder. If there is a red hot panel I will dab it to slow down cooling process once its no longer red hot I will place the rag directly on the panels and cool it down while flipping the rag over once that side is saturated with heat which only takes a few seconds.

Warping: Sheet metal sucks with regard to heat propagation and cools very quickly due to the fact the heat path is very thin in relationship to the surface area exposed to ambient temperature. Just keep in mind that it expands like crazy in the X & Y planes and not the Z which is the thickness.

Ambient temperature: Avoid welding sheet metal in very cool ambient temperatures like in the winter. Ice cold metal will expand at a much greater rate then if welded during the summer and there is more thermal shock involved. August in a good time to do this. Avoid January sheet metal welding which create all sorts of thermal expansion dynamics. If the water used to cool the rag comes out of the tap rather warm just open it up and swing it back and forth even on a hot day evaporation will cool it below ambient.

Bio-metric thermometer: The threshold for thermal pain on the human body is approximately 120° F if you can touch a surface and leave your finger on it without having to yank it away generally means the surface is 120° F or less.

Drain holes: Be mindful of the need for drain holes or sloping features what will allow water to purge itself after a rain storm or car wash. The ability for the structure and vent the moisture away is important

Grinding welds: Don't ground the weld bead flush to the surface of the panels just to make them look good. Leave some excess weld to over lap the joint and avoid over grinding the metal. We welded in some gussets inside the front windshield cavity where the windshield wiper arms are housed under neath the front wind shield. Afterwords I went to to get us both lunch and upon my return to my horror the welder took the initiative and decided to grind the welds flush yet managed to work himself into a trance and ground the beads about .010 below flush. I freaked out what was taking place and stopped him immediately. What he didn't realize he was grinding metal that was only .032” thick meaning it lost whopping 30% of the metal thickness which by that time was about the thickness of fingernail and is now harder to weld without blowing big holes in the metal. I ended up having to place thin strips of steel on both sides of the gusset where it was over ground to prevent the welder from blowing thru the metal. This was an honest mistake but under no circumstances are you to overlook flaws such as this. Can you imagine finishing the car only to find out the welds are cracking because they are too thin allowing rain water to intrude inside the vehicle which will rust out the floor boards and what's involved in correcting it? Mistakes are one thing stupidity is another. He apologized and the problems was corrected. I make mistakes right along with the best of them but its way better to acknowledge them and take corrective action before they turn into big problems.

Plasma cutter a big “no no”:Don't use a hand held plasma cutter to cut out the brackets. They harden the edge of the metal to the point it will turn a metal saw blade to dust just touching the surface.

Jig saw: The best method for cutting the metal is to use a jig saw. The best blades to is are Skill metal jig saw blades. The 18 TPI (med) is best for cutting 4130. The 36 tpi will cut but is too fine, slow and will dull quickly. The 14 TPI will work but is too coarse and will dull quickly as well. Buy lots of blades. Don't over heat the blade. Have 2 pieces of thick flat aluminum close by when cutting the metal. Stop before you “blue” the blade then quickly sandwich it between by squeezing both sides with the aluminum while pulling the blade out from the saw exposing the maximum amount of blade to cool which happens very quickly.
You can also use a band saw but those blades tend to be rather wide and not as good cutting sharper curbs which can over heat the blade

Abrasive cut-off wheel: These are faster then the jig saw when you have straight section to be cut. I buy the 4 1/2” right angle electric grinder from Harbor Freight Tools for $20-30.

Welding wire: Plan on using mostly #30 or #35 wire

Grinding abrasives: The green 3M 2” sanding discs are the best and last a long time. I prefer to by a box of 25 which is about $50. 24 or 36 grit is best for fast cutting. 80-120 are best for surface prep

Hearing protection: Get a set of over-the-ear hearing protection. Sheet metal drums like crazy ans is very loud

Eye protection: I need reading glasses which won't fog up like full coverage goggles will. Use common sense here

Sliver removal: I bought a real sharp precision tweezers from a swap meet and have a jewelers eye piece handy on the shelf all the time. Even if you get the tiniest shard of metal in your finger the eye piece and tweezers will make short work of it.

Fire protection: I needed this a few times as sparks will fly. A dual halon works best and doesn't leave white powder all over the place so there is nothing to clean up. Have it in a hand place where you can get to it quickly and always put it back in the same place so you won't having to think about where it is where you need it in a hurry. Halon just sucks-up the oxygen out of the air and is absolutely brutal on fires you will only need a quick burst to extinguish most fires. Cardboard works pretty good protecting items for the welding splatter. DO NOT USE CLOTH OF ANY KIND I made the mistake of covering the dash pad with a towel when welding in the back of the car and a spark jumped over landing on it. The fine thread burned invisible until I saw the heat plume in the corner of my eye before I yanked it off but by then I was too late. Beware of having paper towel around a welder. A spark land on that stuff will smolder as it consumes the paper often you will smell it before seeing it.

Corrosion protection: Keep in mind exposed bare metal after everything is welded will start to rust. Here the weld-thru primer is your friend if you are welding a flat piece of metal over a flat section of the metal in the chassis like the top of the shock towers paint the underside of the metal before you weld the two together. If your welding to a section like the rocker panels and won't be able to access it to clean and paint you may not want to weld to that area. Living in So. Cal of Arizona is not as much of a concern but if you live in a wet and humid climate you will want to put some thought to were you can weld and where you don't want to weld if you cant clean and paint it. I used a cold zinc galvanizing spray paint from McMaster car in hard to reach places and self etching primer on places I could reach. I there are places of bare metal with surface rust you can apply metal prep which is phospharic acid mixed with water which will turn the rust into an inert substance with will naturalize the corrosion process which can be painted later. I'm a real stickler with corrosion protection and you should be to.
Wire brushes: Have an assortment of wire brushes which can be chucked onto a cordless drill and 1/4” drill extensions of various lengths to clean the welds. A flexible 1/4” drill shaft comes in handy as well. A dremel with a flexible shaft comes in real handy for tight corners as well. Harbor Freight sell a nice assortment of bits dremel for a bargain price of $20 last time I checked.

Ball peen hammer: The welder will need this to hammer some of the panels to shape.

Access to a bend or box brake: This will be needed to put folds in some places where you might needed it. I often will bend a 90° lip in an edge which makes it super stiff. 4130 can be a real tough is the bend is too long or the metal too thick. When that happens I use my 20 ton arbor press and one of the bending dies off my brake. Here you will learn just how tough chromolly steel is. I use a 36” Harbor Freight bend brake from Harbor Freight which comes in real handy around the shop

Masking tape: 3M 1” and 3” wide used to tape patterns and cut finished brackets to the car, to protect surfaces from the grinder and to use for long straight guidelines you can easily see for cutting with the abrasive wheel.

Repainting to factory finish: Keep in mind you are going to want to repaint the visible areas you will see where the paint has been ground-off or burned away. This will primarily be in the engine compartment. The area in the fender wells, interior, undercarriage and the trunk won't be visible and won't require accurate color matching.

Patients: if you don't have much of this it may not be something you want to do depending on the extent of work you plan on doing. Don't start something you can't finish you better off leaving well enough alone

If this hasn't scared you off by now then that is a good start. Keep in mind this gets addicting once you see the progress being made you are going to start looking downstream of where you welded and want to do more. You need to resist this and stick to your plan. You will start to look at the chassis structure in a different way. When I'm in a shop I look at how the various car manufactures piece there cars together looking at details most others don't notice. Being a mechanical engineer helps but it's certainly not a requirement if you know the fundamental principals of geometry, loads and how they interact. It will change the way you think about this kind of stuff and will learn a great deal about chassis structures but it's a lot of hard work getting there. If you keep your goals simple and within reason you can make improvements to the chassis where no others have without cutting up the car and adding a multi-point roll cage that more or less renders the car useless of the street, will be hidden from view, will tighten-up the cars handling, reduce raddling and reduce chassis structure fatigue and in an extreme case such as mine will transmit more hp to the real wheel not having the engine to twist and hold the chassis in torsion like a rod of rubber.

As stated I will break this up into two categories one to address the SN95 coup and another for the vert but will be a much simpler and practical version of what been done with my car but will use that for a basis of discussion.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Nice writeup very detailed... Kenny would disagree with not grinding the weld though, he's a perfectionist.

Thanks for the props man. I think after reading this I have sufficiently scared anyone off who was contemplating taking this route which for some is not necessarily a bad thing. But I'll follow through with it none-the-less. The coilover reinforcement is worth doing and not too difficult for anyone who whats them. Reducing the torsional flex is a different story

If Kenny flush ground the welds in my car he would still be at it and would have lost all feelings in his hands by now.

I kinda like'N your build as well. Part of me would be satisfied just looking at it in the shop. I wouldn't want to get it dirty.............if only Claude Monet had that kind of talent :nonono:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Thanks for the props man.

If Kenny flush ground the welds in my car he would still be at it and would have lost all feelings in his hands by now.
I kinda like'N your build as well. Part of me would be satisfied just looking at it in the shop. I wouldn't want to get it dirty.............if only Claude Monet had that kind of talent :nonono:
Trust me he spent months building the Pro-Mod chassis and flush ground all his welds BUT the big gobs that you see in amateurs work isn't happening there, haha.. I'll be at the shop tomorrow I'll take some new pics..

SlowSVT

Established Member
Trust me he spent months building the Pro-Mod chassis and flush ground all his welds BUT the big gobs that you see in amateurs work isn't happening there, haha.. I'll be at the shop tomorrow I'll take some new pics..

Not sure if his time was spent primarily working on tube chassis but there are literally 100's of feet of seam welds applied to thin sheet metal I spent 3 weeks doing nothing but grinds on this thing and that doesn't include all the pre-grinding before hand (add 3 more weeks).

Russs%20Cobra%20after%20weld%20grinding%201_zpshfuvrlf0.gif

I wish I knew Kenny before hand, I would have rolled the chassis into his shop late one evening and left it there. I figure perhaps staring at this long enough would drive him nuts and would finally break down and put his magic grinder to it but something tells me he would be wearing a straight jacket before it was finished. Don't laugh that almost happened to me :nonono:

In this case the overlap is probably a good thing as it stiffens the joint where the 3 panels intersect (yes there are gussets buried under a majority of the seal welds). Triangulated boxes galore!

SN95%20chassis%20reinforcement%20B-piller%201_zpsqknjkpwl.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
OK now that we got the logistics out of the way the first topic I will cover are reinforcing the shock towers for coilovers. If you don't plan on running them and there are good reasons not to, I would skip this post because these mods are not necessary running the conventional K-member/A-arm springs in front and rear A-arm spring pockets out back. This job is actually not too bad and the welding can be done in one day depending how well the brackets has been fitted to the chassis before hand. Remember I said welding and not fabricating, that may require a weekends worth of work depending how proficient you are with fabricating the brackets. Plus it's easy to paint the finished bracing to prevent corrosion with perhaps exception of the shock towers depending how well you want it to match the factory engine compartment paint.

Bracing for coilovers is what started me on my odyssey before I decided to take it a step further ………. then further still until I was involved in a full blown chassis reinforcement effort. After this for most people you can stop and install your coilovers and have fun with your car again. It's likely you will want to take it to the next step after this and that can quickly become a slippery slope like it did in my case. Once you get the bug there is no telling how far you will go so set strict limits for yourself and stick to that plan. For others you may want to go further but it will require removing lots of stuff and before you know it your knee deep in a major project and a lengthy and costly downtime.

The reason for doing this is the shock towers were never designed to carry the weigh of the car, they just need to absorb the damping action of the dampers and locate the upper potion of the struts to maintain the correct suspension geometry. With the stock suspension the weight of the engine and ½ the transmission bypass the chassis entirely where it sits on the K-member supported by the springs then the A-arms where the load finally rest on the spindles and wheels. With coilovers the towers carry everything including the K-member and suspension, the load goes from the spindle, up the struts/shock directly to the towers. Without reinforcement the top of the towers assume the whole load and will “oil can” as the car hits bumps with the dampers transitioning from compression to rebound which is where people complain about creaking. From there the load is carried downward to the frame rail and transition to the next panel held on my a few spot weld which is where all the load will converge before propagating out to the next panel which is the frame rail. If you think about that thin sheet metal carrying the weight if the entire car it gets very frightening. It will hold-up the car but is taking a beating in the process I would imagine after many miles the metal will be so fatigued but by that time so has the rest of car before it's retired. What we are going to do here is add a second layer of very strong steel with a brace for added stiffness and seam weld the joint that will largely bypass the spot welds providing a nice even distribution of the load to the frame rail.

Best to take pictures of everything before you start taking things apart prior to starting the job. Be mindful of things that could catch fire near where you will be welding. Protect areas from the welding sparks using cardboard. Have lots of cardboard on hand. I usually go and ask a nearby business for empty boxes before they get thrown out.

VERY IMPORTANT: Look things over well and make sure you account for the factory brackets and fitting can be reinstalled after your finished with the bracing. Don't assume I didn't overlook anything here this is were you start to develop a keen eye for detail and think beyond the bracing and consider assembly, servicing, corrosion prevention, ect ect. The more you do this kind of work the better you will become at planning which makes things much easier and you will start to assume a new mindset. Identifying potential problems before they occur will make you more confident when approaching a problem that would make most people draw a blank, freeze-up and get paralyzed with fear not knowing where to start. This is engineering not some schmuck installing bolt-ons. Not many things phase me anymore but don't get cocky either. I still make mistakes but always managed to dig myself out of the hole I dug. You learn more from you mistakes then from your successes which probably explains how I got to where I am now (that's good right?)

Time to kick the chocks out from the tires and throw some switches!

The picture below is the vertical box section column that will take up a good portion of the load to the frame rail. I added a doubler on the base of the frame rail to stiffen the K-member flange when you tighten the mounting bolts which are now in tension holding up the engine, tranny and K-member rather than compression as the car use to sit on this surface which is now doing the opposite (now everything will be hanging from it :uh oh:).

1. When cutting the cardboard patterns here have the strut and coilover mounted to ensure the springs doesn't interfere with the added braces you intend to weld in place. I ran the column brace as high as possible but make sure the studded bottom plate for the aftermarket CC pate is in place and can be installed and removed after it's all welded.

2. Position the top of the strut on the CC plates pushed inboard as far as they go to ensure you can have full range of motion the CC plates can provide without interfering with the new brace (I like the steel MM 4 hole CC plates I wouldn't do this with the stock OEM which won't have as much travel).

3. Use a sharpie to mark the line where the pattern will be positioned inside the shock tower.

4. Transfer the pattern and cut the metal (I would use .050 thk 4130 here) and grind it to fit snuggley

5. Paint the underside of the frame rail doubler with the K-member mounting holes drilled with weld-thru primer and locate it using the K-member mounting blots and weld it to the top of the frame rail.

6. Seam weld every joint inside the shock tower just remember to keep everything cool periodically with a wet folded towel.

7. Tape the 3 steel vertical brace in place using 3” wide masking tape to the sharpie line and reinstall the strut. Adjust as before and check your clearances. Make you leave some extra clearance for the spring to ensure you don't have interference problems. Tack welded the 2 outer brackets in place, double check the clearance with the springs, then remove the center vertacle bracket and seam weld the outer 2 brackets from the outside.

9. Take a wire brush on a cordless drill and clean the welds and inside the surfaces of the column. If there is rust in there clean that out as well. Afterward spray the inside of the column with weld-thru primer to prevent corrosion.

10. There is a hole on the driver side tower used to mount the brake line distribution block which if I remember correctly uses a stud. Drill a hole in the vertical column face plate big enough to allow access for a socket to pass thru so the nut can be tighten after it's welded. Just make sure it lines up with the stud hole where you intend to drill the column face plate. Use a nominal size (5/8, 3/4, 7/8” inch hole with will accept a plastic hole plug to seal it from rain and debris after you are done). This is not shown in the picture because I'm using manual brakes and won't be using that block. You could also use the factory stud hole as a guide and drill a pilot hole from inside the engine bay if there is no engine then complete the socket clearance hole from the wheel well side after the center panel is welded in place in step 11 but keep in mind that will leave chips inside that can start corrosion.

11. Spray paint the inside of the vertical column center face plate with weld-thru primer and weld in place.

The inside of the shock tower brace is now finished and should look like this :coolman:

SloSVTs%20Fender%20Apron%20cutout_zpsv5cdbgch.jpg

Note: prior to welding the vertical column, seam weld the factory shock tower top reinforcement plate spot welded to the underside of the CC mounting surface. its an up side "down" weld in a very tight place so I hope the guy with the wand has a good sense of humor.

My next installment will be the bracing on the outside of the of the shock towers

SlowSVT

Established Member
My apologies for not updating this threads sooner.

Now we move to the inside of the front shock towers. First thing to do here is cap the top of the tower, I used .050" 4130 or you can use .060" thick.

IMG_0514_zpscr3dcyvg.jpg

Cut the strut hole slightly larger than the existing hole and drill a few 3/8" holes between the large center hole and the edge of the cap that will be plug welded for added stiffness. After all the exposed seams are welded you need to grind the top surface totally flush for the CC plates have a nice flat surface to mount to. Don't forget to spray the under side of the top plate with weld thru primer prior to welding and use the wet rag to keep the metal cool during the process.

Next you want to reinforce the corners as shown here.

Russs%20Mustang%20shock%20tower%20reinforcement%201_zpstzfmbst1.jpg

To get the metal to conform around the corners the welder can tack the out edges then use a ball peen hammer to form the metal around the corners. Best to do this while the metal is hot from welding.

Seam weld all factory seams that join the shock towers to the frame rail.

Word of caution: Stop right hear at this stage! Do not added the extra bracing seen here in these photos with the possible exception of the large rear gusset to the frame rail but that will likely interfere with the AC evap canister. The goal here was to brace the front shock towers for coilovers which has now been achieved. If you start added gussets like I have requires bracing the structure downstream of the firewall under the dash which requires a huge commitment.

Next I will cover beefing up the frame rails and a nice spot to reinforce in the front wheel wells that will distribute the load better to the rocker panels and sub-frame connectors.

SlowSVT

Established Member
My apologies for the delay in posting this installment. It would have been posted much earlier but this is the second time I wrote it. I lost the 1st one when I hit the “submit” button Molliza timed out the cache and I lost the whole thing….. arrgh!

On this post I will cover the front frame rail and the lower cross member to the rocker panels reinforcement.

Again, this can get addicting where you will be tempted to reinforce other areas especially the upper fender apron and fire wall. DO NOT GO THERE! I have used my experience and knowledge of mechanical engineering and came up with bracing that will not concentrate stress on areas you are not likely to reinforce which will cause work hardening and cracking elsewhere. I take no responsibility for what you do to your car and am providing this information as “reference” only.

What is going to be covered here is what can be done to reinforce the front clip to the chassis. Mainly the frame rails to the sub-frames. This applies to both coups and verts and will go a long way in actually “nailing” the front suspension down to the chassis. Again, our biggest villain here is “torsion” and we want to get as much twisting flex out of the chassis as possible. Most people are fat & happy knowing their engines makes 700 ft lbs at the flywheel but are not considering the chassis is seeing 2500 ft lbs. in 1st gear. This constant twisting is what eventually loosens-up the chassis where it starts to creek, rattle and drive like a marshmallow on wheels.

If you drop the K-member and slide under the chassis on a creeper and actually start looking at the front frame in detail you will become angry :( Note where the frame rail miters downward then levels out again. The front frame rails are folded sheet metal and are not connected at these mend points and are merely spot welded to the inner fender wells. The good thing is it's an easy fix but the bad thing is the engine and tranny needs to come out unlike the shock tower reinforcement. Peeling the carpet back from the firewall wouldn't hurt either.

MIG weld with #35 wire all the seams around the frame rails, anywhere you see a gap, join those features and don't forget to cool the bead with a wet towel as you weld to limit how much heat saturates into the chassis. Alternate from LH rail to RH rail and back to even the heat distribution to the chassis which will allow it to expand and contract at an even rate minimizing any distortion to the structure. KEEP IN MIND THE POTENTIAL FOR FIRE AS YOU WELD CLOSE TO THE FIREWALL/FLOOR BOARDS and keep that extinguisher handy just in case. Always have someone keeping an eye on the interior when welding near those areas. There is some real flammable stuff on the inside of the car and you will be in a world of hurt should you burn-up something or perhaps the whole car.

The metal thickness of the frame rails is not overly impressive. I made cardboard patterns following the inside, bottom and outside contours of the frame rail from the beginning of the shock towers back to where they blends-in with the firewall/floor boards then used those to cut .050” thick chromolly sheet metal plates with a few plug weld holes drilled in the middle along the length. Take your time doing this and study the area you intend to reinforce. I find it best to tape the patterns to the chassis and just look at it and think about how this feature is carrying the load. Some of my best ideas have come to me with a Budweiser in my hand reflecting on how best to stiffen the chassis.

After your satisfied with your patters paint the inside surfaces with weld-thru primer and weld the cut plates in place then smooth the rough welds with a grinder. Now you have frame rails that are 5-10 x stiffer then before HOORAH! :rockon:

IMG_0513_zps9mbf3rum.jpg

Russs%20Mustang%20engine%20bay_zpsqjg5g4gj.jpg

The next area we want to turn our attention to is the lower frame rail-to-rocker panel attachment bracket. This is the formed stamping at the bottom the rear of the wheel wells and is made from fairly thick metal. Weld-up all the seams on this part with is what ties the frame to the outer chassis structure. AGAIN be mindful of fire!

As stated earlier in this thread one of the goals is to distribute the load more evenly throughout the chassis and to remove stress risers. One area of opportunity is where the fender well sheet metal meets the firewall. This joint is just a bent flange spot welded to the firewall at a right angle which is pretty nasty since this is a load carrying member. Here I cut out a cardboard pattern and formed a “fillet” for this seam. It may not look like it but this modification is pretty substantial by redirecting and smoothing the transition from the frame rails/inner fender well to the rockers and sub-frame connectors. In a front-end collision this will prevent the frame rails from breaching the firewall and redirect that load outward. Here is a pic of the corner fillet after it was painted.

Monocock%20SN95%2020_zpsbge2sp18.jpg

There are areas on the fender apron and the upper corners of the dash/lower A-pillar that could be reinforced but that will blow this process-up to a big project you would need to gut the interior which would change the whole scope of this effort. What we have done here is reinforced the lower portion of the structure taking stress off the upper portion. This is especially important for convertibles that lack a roof structure where you want the load to stay as low in the chassis as possible since the A-pillar is doing “zero” to stiffen the chassis. If we reinforced the A-pillar column for a coup would require extending the stiffening along the roof line all the way to the C-pillar and beyond! There are to be no gaps in any of the stress paths we reinforce :nono:

If I have not overlooked anything this should cover the front frame rail reinforcement. I would give it a weekend to make all the patterns and to cut and grind the plates to fit. Followed by another weekend to weld them in place and to clean-up the welds. Remember do not grind the welds flush. It is not necessary and may weaken the joint in some places. Always be mindful of corrosion and use the weld-thru primer where you can. The inside of the frame rails has had the factory finished burned off where it was welded, I used a long handled brushes on the inside of the rails to loosen the welding scale and compressed air and blew the debris out the bottom of the frame rail drain hole. Afterwords I sprayed and fogged the inside of the rails with cold zinc galvanizing compound. You will need to repaint the engine bay where you burned the paint off by welding. You don't have to go to crazy here because very little of it will actually be visible after everything is reinstalled.

You may be tempted to extend some of the reinforcement forward of the shock towers. Do not do this! The factory incorporated “crumple points” all along the front end of the car. You can see V-grooves and voids punched into the chassis so in the event the car is in a collision the front end folds and absorbs the impact which you want to maintain. What you can do on the front clip is stiffen the rad support to stiffen the front end to eliminate or reduce cowl shake. I will address this on another post.

My next post will cover the mid-section of the car and how you can make your sub-frames more effective now that it's connected to something more worthy. Just keep in mind as stated, this stuff gets addictive and you can find yourself on a slippery slope and before you know it your in a full blown chassis upgrade which takes 100's of hours so make a plan and stick with it don't bite off more than you can chew. Just the shock tower and lower frame rail reinforcement will take a month worth of weekends and that does not take into account removing stuff and then reinstalling it on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread