Smart Kid Gives Teacher a Piece of His Mind

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
That's exactly why I don't believe we need to continue to dump money into our public education system and worthless teachers. I'm tired of hearing of teachers being unpaid, until you hold them accountable they will continue to do just this.

How about they let me hold the kids accountable when they dont do work, study, pay attention, or jack shit causing me to slow down everything for those few dumbasses?

I also love our governments plans: your school is failing, heres budget cuts. Bigger classes, less individual time, fewer aids to help with reading (because you know every parent is so involved these days), leading to lower scores, more cuts, and so on.

That said, I believe there is a buttload of 'teachers' who should be out on their asses since they recieved tenure and are just skating along doing nothing. Theres so many ways you can teach without packets and books- Hell, my class reinacted Monty Python to show the medieval class society and the hierachy within it.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
While I agree with this, back in the day when kids respected their elders it was because their elders had earned that respect.

You don't get respect simply by being born before somebody else. It's earned based on your actions and your character. That doesn't look to be the case here.

Well said. :beer:

MNCobra

Established Member
While I agree with this, back in the day when kids respected their elders it was because their elders had earned that respect.

You don't get respect simply by being born before somebody else. It's earned based on your actions and your character. That doesn't look to be the case here.

+1 This....i had a math teacher way back in high school that was a complete idiot...i remember most of my good teachers...the ones that actually taught and didn't just make you feel like your wasting their time by asking questions or didn't take offense if you challenged them when they only teach you their views on life...

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My younger brother did too. He says the curriculum in some classes consisted of watching movies. :nonono:

Ah, my senior year of high school. We had to pick 2 english classes from a list of like 10. EVERYONE knew to take usage and grammar! It was taught by a coach of some sport. Now I want to a private grade school which was ahead of public schools. However, this Usage and Grammar class was honestly 2-3rd grade material. He would hand out books, talk for 5 minutes about what an adverb is, give us 20 minutes to copy 20 sentences, give us 10 minutes to circle all the adverbs, exchange with a neighbor who would grade them as he read the answers out loud, and then pass the papers to the front of the classroom. After 4-6 class days of stuff like that, we would spend 2-4 days watching a movie. Remember the Titans, Braveheart, Shawshank Redemption, etc. I think the movie was actually "study time" if we wanted, and then we had a quiz(over adverbs not the movie) once the movie was done. 4th grade me could have taught that class.

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member
I had some good teachers in elementary school in the late 80s/early 90s.. but after that it went downhill.. even my old high school-graduated in 1999... has declined along with the type of rift raff that goes there now and the enormously large classes...
I graduated with 136 kids, my brother in 2003 with 300 something, now theyre 500+ in some grades :/

Teachers there suck, i honestly believe my kids will go to a private school for much of their years, which i would never have done in the past.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
I had a teacher in high school that walked into class opened a binder, sat in his chair and just read his binder word for word for 50 minutes while the class tried to keep and type everything he said. I learned NOTHING! I studied "the notes" to squeak by passing his three quarterly tests. Learning and studying for a test is pointless and you get nothing out of it. I can still remember word for word great lectures and lessons teachers taught. I don't remember one class or "lecture" from that teacher. What a waste of time....

this. Nobody really learns in school, they just learned how to pass standardized tests and exams. Once I got the notes for class I just made sure to pass the tests I didnt really care to learn anything since the school system only cared about having great grades for the NYS Regents exams

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I strongly believe that I received a better education going to a private Catholic grade school and high school than I would have gotten at any public school.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member

Well said

Supernova

Established Member
I think teaching is much like other professions in which you have some good, some bad, and a lot of average. The extremes always stick out more than the norm. I had plenty of good teachers in public school, and I know several personally now. There's always going to be some bad apples...

this. Nobody really learns in school, they just learned how to pass standardized tests and exams. Once I got the notes for class I just made sure to pass the tests I didnt really care to learn anything since the school system only cared about having great grades for the NYS Regents exams
You have to take accountability for your own education. I learned plenty in school, but I also applied myself and tried to do as well as I could. I graduated from a large public school in a class of roughly 700 or so.

Personally, I feel that a lot of the current problems with schools deals with lack of parental involvement in their child's life.

bigdave03svt

Established Member
When you keep cutting money from the public school system, freeze teachers pay for years on end, and don't pay them jack shit to begin with...this is what you get for teachers.If teaching was looked at and paid the way it should be , you'd have the more qualified people there and more aspiring to be a teacher..who the hell wants to be a teacher these days?kids are so disrespectful and poorly raised its not even funny

My wife is a teacher and the stories she tells me every day is unbelievable and never happend when i was in school. and that wasnt that long ago.she left the city of fredericksburg schools and went to stafford county and its a world better but still not great.She never gives homework and all her classes are hands on participation with everyone including her involved. the students love her and she's been awarded teacher of the year too. dude in the video is 100% right if the teachers get involved and at least act like they care about the students, they will respond 100% better. Though you will always have a bad apple student here and there that no one can reach.

Also , this thing called SOL's (Standards of Learning) bind alot of teachers to teach certain things certain ways in order to keep test scores up, and it sucks . They can't go at their own pace anymore and make sure the students actually learn. It's do this do that aaannnnd test.

Last edited:

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member

AMEN! I am very old school in many of my ways, but I don't respect elders simply because they are older. I respect those who earn it. That kid was obviously fed up and for good reason, good for him for standing up for what he believes.

And that hair.....:rockon:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
Well I did take responsibilty for my education and I did learn a lot. Graduated in the honor key and near the top of my class and was on dean's list and presidents lists in college.

I agree that nowadays parents may be to busy to sit down and go over everything with their children but it doesn't help when schools in NY have to take standardized tests that other states do not have to take and it maked the learning time very short since a lot of materials have to be covered in a school year. Not saying I never learned anything because I did. I went to one of the top Public schools in NY but Im speaking in generalities.

Coiled03

Established Member
You have to take accountability for your own education. I learned plenty in school, but I also applied myself and tried to do as well as I could. I graduated from a large public school in a class of roughly 700 or so.

Personally, I feel that a lot of the current problems with schools deals with lack of parental involvement in their child's life.

THIS X a million.

Tired of listening to people whine about how they didn't get an education when they couldn't be bothered to actually pay attention in class, or apply themselves.

I went to public schools all the way through high school. They weren't the best, nor were they the worst. I learned enough to score well enough on entrance exams to get into one of the best private engineering schools in the country. It's all about what you make of it.

Parents need to make it abundantly clear to their children that school is their first priority.....always.

gamebred26

Established Member
crazy thing is all the kids in that class with be working for him someday!

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I'm wondering if politicians regard the cutting of education budgets as 'easy pickings' because the negative effects of such cuts manifest long after their terms in office end.

Then again, with respect to funding, this is probably how politics are guided in general.

I can't think of a more effective way to pull the rug out from under the success of future generations than to borrow funding from education.

These days, if you want to know the sum of angle degrees in a triangle on a plane, you need to ask a European math student. It's not hard to remember that it's 360.

:)

Coiled03

Established Member
I'm wondering if politicians regard the cutting of education budgets as 'easy pickings' because the negative effects of such cuts manifest long after their terms in office end.

Then again, with respect to funding, this is probably how politics are guided in general.

I can't think of a more effective way to pull the rug out from under the success of future generations than to borrow funding from education.

These days, if you want to know the sum of angle degrees in a triangle on a plane, you need to ask a European math student. It's not hard to remember that it's 360.

:)

:dw:

So, what's the sum of angle degrees of a 45-45-90 triangle, again?

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
These days, if you want to know the sum of angle degrees in a triangle on a plane, you need to ask a European math student. It's not hard to remember that it's 360..

:dw:

So, what's the sum of angle degrees of a 45-45-90 triangle, again?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

First things first, shut down the Department of Education.
Second, as an aspiring calculus teacher, I can say that not every one is like that. Just like with cops, one bad apple...

Users who are viewing this thread