Small Block Ford vs Modular Motor Swap

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
So I am starting to plan my build on the Saleen. I am debating either doing an 03/04 cobra swap,a coyote swap or even a gt500 swap. OR have a dart block 331 or 347 stroker built for either a vortech or nitrous. My question is, what are the pros and cons of both? With the correct cam in the sbf can drivabillity like the modular be obtained? I would probably keep the 3:55s and probably have a t56 built. This is more of a discussion thread.
The motor would be for my 1989 Saleen Fox Body

Last edited:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
So I am starting to plan my build on the Saleen. I am debating either doing an 03/04 cobra swap,a coyote swap or even a gt500 swap. OR have a dart block 331 or 347 stroker built for either a vortech or nitrous. My question is, what are the pros and cons of both? With the correct cam in the sbf can drivabillity like the modular be obtained? I would probably keep the 3:55s and probably have a t56 built. This is more of a discussion thread.

well if you have a dart block you can bore it to 363 cubes

now what kind of heads willyou be running? How about intake manifold?

Cam should be an fti ed curtis custom cam.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
well if you have a dart block you can bore it to 363 cubes

now what kind of heads willyou be running? How about intake manifold?

Cam should be an fti ed curtis custom cam.

I was looking at the AFR 195 or 220 heads. I like the trick flow bread box style intake but I am not sure as to what the best choice for the application would be.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I was looking at the AFR 195 or 220 heads. I like the trick flow bread box style intake but I am not sure as to what the best choice for the application would be.

There is no "best" choice.

For example I would go with the TFS heads but thats just me. Matching your heads and intake seems like a good idea. Also since your cam is custom dont worry about it.

These guys have a STELLAR Reputation.

Call the owner Woody he is a good guy and fair on his pricing, he will also help you pick parts

FordStrokers.com 331-347-408-418-427 Custom Built Small Block Ford Engines

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Looking for more power to drift it in your neighborhood again?

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
His neighbors need to mind their own damn business. Anyway, back to the original topic, since it's a classic Saleen, I vote blown SBF. BUT, if you want great drivability (road trips) throw a GT500 drivetrain in and call it done.

Maybe you need to read the whole thread. He needs to stop driving like an asshole through his development putting people at risk. Search his posts, it wasn't the only time he posted about being an idiot behind the wheel.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Maybe you need to read the whole thread. He needs to stop driving like an asshole through his development putting people at risk. Search his posts, it wasn't the only time he posted about being an idiot behind the wheel.

I read the thread. His actions may have been stupid and even dangerous, but if people would mind their own business we'd be better off. That lady that walked onto HIS property is lucky she didn't get shot. Two wrongs don't make a right. Call the cops and let them do their job. Now, can we get back to the topic at hand?

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'd go SBF with a snail.

I love all the mod motor swaps but IMO it's cheaper/easier to go with the old technology.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I see no mention as to how much power and what you plan to do with it so we can better help you.

Well when people tell me who have built cars where they spent most money, rather most wasted. They have a plan for a project then decide they want to go a different route.

There is a member on here that posted his, worlds fastest stick shifted notch. I know he's running. Dart block, AFR205 heads and a viper spec t56. I was quoted 4995 on a short block using a dart block. They said I can do 331,347,363 same price. So figure 3k for the heads. Turbo itself is 2500-3000. Then all the fab time. Another 1-2k on efi. And so on.
All said and done it will easily surpass 20k with the SBF route. That's 363,88mmturbo, faceplated viper spec T56, built rear end. Should make well over 1000.
Lets say I find a totaled out gt500 pick it up for 10-15k. What's it gonna take to make it reliable in the 1000hp+ range.

My plan is to OVER build everything. That way if I get an itch for more someday I can grow. Reliability is huge. Streetablity is also very important.

The car already has good Baer brakes, and I believe a full maximum motorsports suspension.

I just don't want to go stroke out a factory block waste the money getting that done then end up wanting more then the components can supply. I want to do it right the first time.

americansteel

Banned

I know this is an old post but I cant help myself I love ford engines :)
don't waste your time and money on a 302 with a stroker kit especially with a 347 kit.
grab a 351 Windsor, a PR ford can be made with reliability in mind only if you do not exceed a cam lift past 520 and your duration will be dictated by street driving, forced induction like you plan to use and or if you want to race this on the track more than a few times a year. right around 225-236 is nice for a blown or N/A street car. I have come to the conclusion that AFR makes the best heads for any engine next would be trick flow. 185-205 is all you need. a PR engine will not be able to match the reliability of an OHC engine sorry but its not possible and the nice thing with OHC engines is less friction in the valve train and no worries about bending pushrods. even hardened pushrods bend. you can buy a 4.6l port the factory 2v PI heads and put boost on that motor cheaper than a 302 or a 351 based engine. add 1500 for a big bore block which would be the better choice if you want modular power to un shroud those valves. even 4 valve head 4.6l engine's fit inside the bay of a fox body. your gears are fine and I would suggest a build for your transmission. what you want to do with your car will dictate on what components you will buy but the cam shaft or camshafts and heads will be the most you think about. intake manifold? trick flow makes the best period and don't waste your time on a worked carburetor manifold, trick flow makes nice manifolds of course runner length will be considered. since you want boost a forged rotator kit will be needed. you can buy a forged 351 kit for less than a 331 or 347 kit and still make more power with the same heads, cam and amount of boost you use.
I haven't built a boosted PR ford in 4 years but I build quite a few modular motors with blowers. I don't need to tell you what blower would be good for a mod motor im sure you know that but a PR ford when I did build a boosted PR I used vortech superchargers. and don't waste your money on a crate engine have it built to suit your particular needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread