Slow trap speed for a 750HP car?

khaos

Established Member
Hey guys,

I went to the track last week, 1st time with the new setup. Last time I was at the track was about 3 years ago so I know my shifting is horrible.

Anyway the car makes around 750HP and I only trapped a 130.8 was expecting to be in the high 130's. I was running a 28" tall Hoosier slick and was cutting around a 1.55 60 foot.
Best run was a 10.4.

I wasn't to concerned with ET, I was hoping to hit 135 MPH +. Anyone with similar setups and similar traps? To me it seems like the car is down on power or the clutch is slipping - I installed a new RXT clutch about a year ago so hope that's not the issue.

I'm probably going to put it on the dyno again this week to make sure there are no issues and all the power is there, anything else to check?

Thanks

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Horrible 60 foot, for starters. That run looks all around horrible for that power, so I'd venture to say you just need some seat time. Also, just because your car made 750 on someone's dyno meams next to nothing. The track is the true test. That power level puts 4500 lbs trucks in the 9's at mid 130's, so you either aren't actually making the power, or you just need some time.

Who tuned the car? Is the tuner also the dyno owner/operator?

khaos

Established Member
Humm,

I thought cutting a 1.5 was pretty good for an IRS car.

The car was tuned by Pete at performance dyno and made 760HP - about a week later I brought it to another dyno and the car made 768HP.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like seat time.

Were you spinning at the 1-2 or 2-3 shift?

mkb116

Established Member
1.5 is not a horrible 60'

My car is about 750 and I trapped 137 as my best trap speed with a. 1.4 60' but my best time is 10.51 as well. And I know I shift slow as well.

You definitely need seat time.

I'm running 28" slicks with 3.73 gears.

Last edited:

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
It does seem low for 750 rwhp.... you should be closer to the high 130's like mkb116 trapped. What's your blower/boost/timing/fuel setup? Do you know what your IAT2 temps were during the run?

KEVINS

Established Member
Unless it's been dyno'd it's probably not making that much power. Was it dyno'd previously with this combo?

ks

Last edited:

khaos

Established Member
Yes it was dyno'd twice in its current config.

When I was at the track I didn't data log anything - I was just focused on driving. Boost should be around 25LBS and I run MS109 race gas, timing is at 19 I believe.

I'm going to Dyno it this Thurs and capture, timing, boost, IATs etc.

khaos

Established Member
KB 3.2 mammoth, Fore fuel system with ID1000's, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes and an RXT clutch - that's about it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I am also tuned by Pete, I made 694 on his dyno. I just ran 127 MPH on 26" hoosiers on IRS. You are cutting a good 60', but your MPH does seem a little low. My buddy makes 702 on Pete's dyno and was trapping 142 on 28" hoosier with 3.73's non irs car.

Sounds like you need more seat time.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
What is your cooling system? What are your IAT2/downstream temps? What was the DA? They can easily scrub off quite a few mph on the top end while not changing the ET all that much.

1.5 is fine assuming you didn't bog down, it's a non-issue in relation to your low traps.

Last edited:

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Horrible 60 foot, for starters. That run looks all around horrible for that power, so I'd venture to say you just need some seat time. Also, just because your car made 750 on someone's dyno meams next to nothing. The track is the true test. That power level puts 4500 lbs trucks in the 9's at mid 130's, so you either aren't actually making the power, or you just need some time.

It's a 6 speed IRS car. Your post is honestly, and as nicely as I can say this, irrelevant.

khaos

Established Member
I have a Killer Chiller on the car - it was about 65 out nice day....

I'm going to dyno it this week and get IATs, boost etc. Also someone mentioned that the IC pump might be out (can pull timing) so I'll check that as well.

thanks

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
It's a 6 speed IRS car. Your post is honestly, and as nicely as I can say this, irrelevant.

That entire thread is full of 6 speed IRS cars.. do some reading and make yourself relevant. He's .15-.2 off of most of the posters, some with far less power (eatons). He's also 8-9 mph low. He very easily could have other issues (IAT's as you noted), but the 60' tells the tale. OR, as I eluded to, the car isn't actually making the power. I suppose a third option could be that the timing isn't ramped appropriately, and it leaves very soft. 750hp should be low 10's at mid-upper 130's. 60' obviously plays a big part in that.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

Horrible 60? Calm down man don't need to bash the guy.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

The baddast IRS guys back in the day were Broke7,Cobrastuck,Hiss and 96StangGT whose IRS was bone stock with not even a brace. On that link you provided your the one that needs to research, Ibite was SRA,rtusnake was 9" SRA,sprayed daily was SRA,mpe was SRA,F8LSNAKE was SRA. IRS halfshafts can't withstand the shock of a high rpm launch with stiff sidewalled drag radials. 1.5 is a very good 60 not HORRIBLE like you seem to think.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
The baddast IRS guys back in the day were Broke7,Cobrastuck,Hiss and 96StangGT whose IRS was bone stock with not even a brace. On that link you provided your the one that needs to research, Ibite was SRA,rtusnake was 9" SRA,sprayed daily was SRA,mpe was SRA,F8LSNAKE was SRA. IRS halfshafts can't withstand the shock of a high rpm launch with stiff sidewalled drag radials. 1.5 is a very good 60 not HORRIBLE like you seem to think.

Read it again.. somehow found the same posts I found the first time. He's also not on a drag radial, so that point is moot.

Know there's a few folks that have hit 1.3's with an SRA. But only 3 guys have hit 1.3's with a 6 speed and IRS that I know of. Cobrastruck discribed his experience above. Antex also hit a 1.38 (see vid below), and Hissssnsvt hit 1.39 on three seperate occasions. I raced with the last two guys on several occasions and their approach was 1) removal of weight off the front end to assist with weight transfer (tubular K's, battery in trunk or downsized, sway bar removal, skinnies, etc....), 2) Proper setting of adjustable struts/shocks (QA1's in the rear, Strange Eng in the front), and 3) Slicks with correct air pressure. They were both running 28' tall slicks.

The weight of the IRS really helps alot with weight transfer. One thing that has helped the SRA guys is removal of the engine bay intercooler reservoir and putting a tank in the trunk. This gets the weight off the front end and puts it over the rear tires. Removal of the heat exchanger for track use will take 12.4 lbs off the extreme front end as well and the HE's don't really do much at the strip anyway.

I saw SprayedDaily hit a 1.38 with his Eaton/nitrous setup, but he was running a Solid rear. His video is below as well.

Antex's 1.38 60' Launch:
[ame="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/antex/?action=view¤t=Antex-Launch.flv"]Launch 1.38 60ft video by antex - Photobucket[/ame]

Sprayed Daily's 10.31 @ 135.89 @ MIR- 1.38 60'
[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/04-Eaton-Cobra-goes-1031_96804.htm"]04 Eaton Cobra goes 10.31 @ 135- Video[/ame]

However, I'll concede somewhat... 1.55 isn't HORRIBLE like I originally stated, but it's not where he should be as some of you would let him to believe. It wasn't hard to find several low 1.4's and 1.3's, so quit blowing smoke already and actually help the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread