Slight coolant smell. 2013 Shelby GT500

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
lol at some of the responses. My people!

Phone Lidio and get an appointment setup. He may be backed up

I do a general house cleaning on anything I buy.

Fuel Filter, Oil Change, Spark plugs, Air Filter, a basic deep clean
In addition a tune and revision. (This also allows the tuner to verify the tune was safe to begin with). Now's your chance to change or upgrade stuff. If you don't like the throttle body or the car is "hitching" at 2300rpms (not saying it is), that can be fixed in the tune.

My garage smells like hot rubber after being out.

OPEN ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD

What color is the coolant in your tank? Dip a piece of white paper towel in the tank, smell it and confirm thats what you are smelling after having the car out and than parking it.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
lol at some of the responses. My people!

Phone Lidio and get an appointment setup. He may be backed up

I do a general house cleaning on anything I buy.

Fuel Filter, Oil Change, Spark plugs, Air Filter, a basic deep clean
In addition a tune and revision. (This also allows the tuner to verify the tune was safe to begin with). Now's your chance to change or upgrade stuff. If you don't like the throttle body or the car is "hitching" at 2300rpms (not saying it is), that can be fixed in the tune.

My garage smells like hot rubber after being out.

OPEN ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COLD

What color is the coolant in your tank? Dip a piece of white paper towel in the tank, smell it and confirm thats what you are smelling after having the car out and than parking it.

I do the same. I would also like to parrot having Lidio check it out/tune revise if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks everyone. So don't take it to a Ford dealer?

Dealers are hit and miss. To have them check for a coolant leak, it would probably be ok.

I forgot, MGW II shifter and drain transmission fluid. Replace with Amsoil ATF fluid are a good thing on that initial shop visit with your tuner

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Dealers are hit and miss. To have them check for a coolant leak, it would probably be ok.

I forgot, MGW II shifter and drain transmission fluid. Replace with Amsoil ATF fluid are a good thing on that initial shop visit with your tuner
Great, thanks.

I'll take it to the dealer and have them check it out for the coolant leak and then take it to Lidio.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Great, thanks.

I'll take it to the dealer and have them check it out for the coolant leak and then take it to Lidio.
As you guys can tell, I'm new to the Shelby and not mechanically inclined, to say the least. I used to do simple things on my 70 Mach1 but that was a far simpler engine and all I did was change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs. Simple stuff.

Anyway, I don't know if this is anything, but the car fires right up and idles like a kitten purring. It also pulls like a freight train, so hopefully good signs that it's not anything major?

BTW, I called the dealer and he said to get it checked out and said he would "work with me" on the expense. He didn't say how much, but said to get it fixed and let him know and he would help out.

I'm not sure how accurate Google reviews are but he has a 5 star rating on dozens of reviews with how honest he is etc.

These cars are almost like kids. I can't even concentrate on work while this is going on, LOL!

Kevinbonds

Established Member
There could be a few reasons for that smell. I noticed you have aftermarket caps on your coolant tanks, could have had one of them bubble over on a hot day. Other issue could be that previous owner did a coolant flush and spilled some in the engine bay? I had the ford dealer drain and refill my coolant a while back, and for a few cycles if smelled like coolant, then went away.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
There could be a few reasons for that smell. I noticed you have aftermarket caps on your coolant tanks, could have had one of them bubble over on a hot day. Other issue could be that previous owner did a coolant flush and spilled some in the engine bay? I had the ford dealer drain and refill my coolant a while back, and for a few cycles if smelled like coolant, then went away.
Thank you for the information. I'm going to check with the dealer where I bought it and see if he did a drain and refill.

LS WUT

Established Member
Car is for a fact tuned, you can’t have an intake, throttle body and such without one. I mean you could, but I’d assume there would be engine lights and such on it. I think it could also be a cap or something stupid. Sometimes after a hot day, or even after a few runs I smell something similar to coolant. Could just be residual from when I changed the hose and such.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Car is for a fact tuned, you can’t have an intake, throttle body and such without one. I mean you could, but I’d assume there would be engine lights and such on it. I think it could also be a cap or something stupid. Sometimes after a hot day, or even after a few runs I smell something similar to coolant. Could just be residual from when I changed the hose and such.
Thank you. I appreciate all the information.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Forgot to mention that's why I'm hoping it's nothing major with the coolant. Your engine light comment made me remember my 2106 Silverado that had coolant leaking internally and the check engine light would come on and it would run like crap.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i dont think id bother with the dealer about anything. A guy like Lidio could probably diagnose a coolant issue as well or better than a run of the mill Ford tech who hasnt seen one of these cars in 5years or more (if ever). I wouldn't jump the gun on that smell, put some easy-ish miles on the car and see if your levels drop.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
i dont think id bother with the dealer about anything. A guy like Lidio could probably diagnose a coolant issue as well or better than a run of the mill Ford tech who hasnt seen one of these cars in 5years or more (if ever). I wouldn't jump the gun on that smell, put some easy-ish miles on the car and see if your levels drop.

I reached out to Lidio and he said he wouldn’t want to deal with it until the coolant issue is resolved. He said once it’s “healthy” he’d be happy to work with me.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I reached out to Lidio and he said he wouldn’t want to deal with it until the coolant issue is resolved. He said once it’s “healthy” he’d be happy to work with me.

Well then… I’d just keep an eye on that for a bit and see if you actually even have an issue

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
Thanks.

Marked both tanks. Going out for a drive now to show the car to my Dad and maybe take him for a ride. Going to take it nice and easy.

A what I believe to be a great update. Took the Mustang out Thursday evening for a nice easy drive. Drove about 25 miles or so and when I came back, it didn't seem like I smelled any coolant. MAYBE a slight hint.

Marked the reservoir and the fluid level didn't change at all.

This evening took it out again. Got on it a bit, not a lot but enough to break the tires loose. Got back to the garage and I don't smell any coolant.

So, as another poster said perhaps some had spilled during a coolant change and it's now burned off? Not sure but I'm super happy I didn't smell anything.

Still going to take it to the Ford dealer and have them do a pressure check to be sure. Also have a fog light out, which kind of pisses me off. I'll definitely be calling back the dealer once I get it replaced to have him help out on the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread