Single turbo or Vortech

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
Pound for pound, based off JPC's website...It is alot cheaper to make 1100hp via Vortech Kit. I was being partially sarcastic in my above post. I still know I am better off with the Paxton kit. You can make 1000hp with a centri or twin turbo kit, yes the twins look very BADASS when you pop the hood, but I still like the fact of being close to $2500 cheaper by doing so with a centri.

actually, it is pretty easy

1) Loosen S/C Bolt
2) Loosen Idler bolt
3) Lift tensioner and remove idler
4) Let down tensioner, slide off s/c pulley
5) Reinstall s/c pulley, lift tensioner
6) reinstall idler pulley, lower tensioner
7) tighten bolts

we can swap in about 3 minutes at this point

Took me 30 mins to swap out a 6 rib pulley a couple of days ago. That included opening the garage, making a trip or two to my tool box and etc...Now I just have to play the waiting game with the tuner to get back me with a new tune...lol

Last edited:

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
Have you never seen justin? He looks like a stick figure. Hes quick at those pulley swaps. However 10 mins is a bit far fetched

Im not doubting it...I didnt want anyone thinking I can change a pulley that quick. I was just sourcing my reference.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Pound for pound, based off JPC's website...It is alot cheaper to make 1100hp via Vortech Kit. I was being partially sarcastic in my above post. I still know I am better off with the Paxton kit. You can make 1000hp with a centri or twin turbo kit, yes the twins look very BADASS when you pop the hood, but I still like the fact of being close to $2500 cheaper by doing so with a centri.

Took me 30 mins to swap out a 6 rib pulley a couple of days ago. That included opening the garage, making a trip or two to my tool box and etc...

removing the idler is the trick, it took us a while to come up with the idea,

we used to take longer too

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
Bwaaa, lol

A pic from the foot brake street car class that I run in? LOL

You can run the class too, oh wait, you can't

1) Race Transmission, not OEM
2) Under the weight requirement
3) Slicks

Oh well.....

Throw some weight back in it, put some street tires on it, and we'll line em up ;)

And this is how the car looks right now the way I daily drive it when not doing the nmra series, not a sticker anywhere to be found!

2011gt70.jpg

Same way as in my 9.03 run in full street trim :)

Team Beefcake Racing Daily Driven 2011 Mustang GT 9.03 Pass on 275's! - YouTube

Hey beefcake show them the back with the chute!! haha couldnt help myself!:rolling:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
snap, just picked up on this.

OK lets settle this now....
we are running the Paxton for a few reasons.... we teamed up with Paxton in 2010 to help test their kit for them. So that's what we did. Since then yes we have developed a turbo kit and no its not on our car because we wanted to be the 1 and only stick shift 5.0 in the 8's. If you have ever driven a Stick Turbo car (which you may have) you should understand the complications with trying to run 8's with a stick/turbo in this chassis. Once we are done playing with the magnum and we decide to to put the "automagic" in our car with OUR turbo kit you can pretty much clear the record books cause we are going to be the fastest 2011 on slicks/Radials/street tires or what ever other records that is out there like car color, day of the week, rim ect :) :burnout:

Thanks

But wait..... You are not running the paxton kit, as is stated here!

*Cough*

Worlds quickest Vortech powered coyote -

JPC - YSI Powered JPC 2011 Mustang goes 9.006 - YouTube

Just wanted to clarify some things. It also had a 6 speed manual transmission.

It was also running the YSI on that pass.

So, looks like we have info coming from different angles.

Basically, your saying you want to have the only stick shift in the '8's. But, by your own admission. It can't be done with a stick car...

So, for the stick guy wanting to run big numbers, the centrifical is, by your own admission, the better choice?

Thats also obvious by the fact that aaron pointed out you guys are quicker with a vortech than me.

So, you finished testing the paxton, wanted to run a number, and instead of switching to a turbo, you opted for......

An even bigger Centrifugal!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it!!!!!!

Centri 1 Turbo 0, lol :)

Last edited:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Referencing a previous post in this thread...why not put a waste gate on a Paxton, put a smaller pulley on and run what boost you prefer? I.e. stock bottom end, goal is 600whp, use ~12# pulley and waste gate set at 9#(stock pulley power, but ramps quicker)? Is this setup not reliable?

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Referencing a previous post in this thread...why not put a waste gate on a Paxton, put a smaller pulley on and run what boost you prefer? I.e. stock bottom end, goal is 600whp, use ~12# pulley and waste gate set at 9#(stock pulley power, but ramps quicker)? Is this setup not reliable?

you could do that just as easily if you choose to,

a lot of guys have

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Wastegating it won't be a magical end all. You'll fight the parasitic drag of it being pullied to 18(et al) psi even when on "6" psi (on the wastegate) for street driving. You will feel tons more low end because it will reach 6psi in no time, but then the drag will take at least 75+hp at higher rpm to spin the blower that fast. In short, you will lose peak power unless you run more boost to offset the drag base.

Also, waste gating centrifugals is strain on the motor as the engine will always be spinning the blower hard and affectively taxed until the pulley configuration is changed which effects longevity.

If I had a wastegate on a centri, I'd pulley it for 10psi, then set the gate 1lbs of boost more than I previously had it (6psi going up to 7psi) at so that power would come in much sooner, but the problem is now the motor is taxed with 33% more drag at high rpm, and the internals are subject to 7psi of boost vs the original 6, plus all the new found torque because of reaching 6psi sooner in the rev range will eat at durability of the rotating assembly as well.

I mention this as I've seen a perfectly fine stock 2v gt modular blow up from overdoing the wastegate exploit on a centri, practice caution and good luck.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
I ran out of popcorn already. Had to swap to pork skins.. BBQ flavor to be exact. I'm torn between a blower or turbo myself. This thread provides some good info guys

Users who are viewing this thread