Show me your coilover setup!

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Does that mean you're changing the shocks/struts or ditching the coilovers?
I honestly don't know, i need to do some research. My first thought is changing the spring rate. I'm going to start a thread and ask for some advice..:shrug:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I honestly don't know, i need to do some research. My first thought is changing the spring rate. I'm going to start a thread and ask for some advice..:shrug:

Do you have the stock struts/shocks on the car?

350 or 325 on the front and 525 in the back will feel better on the stock struts/shocks.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Do you have the stock struts/shocks on the car?

350 or 325 on the front and 525 in the back will feel better on the stock struts/shocks.
Hey Ashley,
I've been doing some research across a bunch of different forums and mostly every suspension thread has you posting something insightful. I was thinking about cutting out the middle man and just sending you a PM.:shrug:

I think the shocks / struts are stock but i'm not positive, they say blisten.. I bought the car used with coilovers on it.. I'm not opposed to changing out the shocks and struts if it'll substantially improve the ride comfort..

Here are a couple of pics of the struts..
7.jpg

6.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Hey,

They look stock. Did you install the coilovers or were they on the car when you bought it? I'd just get some softer springs and you would probably be happy. The coilovers ride much better than the conventional spring setup.

You may want to go to a coupe rear shock as it is stiffer and will hold up better. You may already have them, as MM recommends coupe rear shocks for coilovers generally.

Last edited:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Hey,

They look stock. Did you install the coilovers or were they on the car when you bought it? I'd just get some softer springs and you would probably be happy. The coilovers ride much better than the conventional spring setup.

You may want to go to a coupe rear shock as it is stiffer and will hold up better. You may already have them, as MM recommends coupe rear shocks for coilovers generally.
They were on the car when i bought it. Do you know if i can tell from looking at the shocks / struts, is there some sort of model number of something?

What spring rates would you recommend? assuming i have the stock shocks / struts
Thanks,

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
They were on the car when i bought it. Do you know if i can tell from looking at the shocks / struts, is there some sort of model number of something?

What spring rates would you recommend? assuming i have the stock shocks / struts
Thanks,

325 front 525 rear should soften it up nicely with either rear shock setup.

My OEM rear shocks had a sticker on them that said Coupe. It was towards the bottom, near the eyelet. If you can get under the rear and look at the bottom of the shock, see if there is a sticker with ID or a part number. You might be able to figure it out that way.

04torchred

Established Member
325/525 is what I have and its similar to stock just feels way tighter. A bit firmer, but not bad at all. I would try that or even a 300 front and 500-525 rear.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
Sorry to raise the dead, but im thinking of getting coil-overs for the front of my 03 coupe. I was wondering if i can run a 325 in the front with the stock bilstein. Would this be a problem and/or is it going to cause an issue? Would it be stiff?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Sorry to raise the dead, but im thinking of getting coil-overs for the front of my 03 coupe. I was wondering if i can run a 325 in the front with the stock bilstein. Would this be a problem and/or is it going to cause an issue? Would it be stiff?

Nope, 325# would be just fine. Its probably a good rate to be a little stiffer than stock, but still have a good ride.

As for me, I've got 400# up front and I'll probably buy some 450# springs soon. I need less body roll.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I'm actually getting the Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers for the rear (coming with the built solid I'm getting) and I'm not sure about which setup I'm going with for the front. Any advice?

Here's a picture of the Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers.
EIB4020711.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Thanks, Ashley. :beer:

Which would you say are the better coilovers? The Eibach's or the Maximum Motorsport's?

No problem

Can you adjust the damping on the Eibach? What spring rates are on them?

If you replace the rear with MM you will need new rear shock and coilover kit. Im sure the Eibachs are decent, I have no experience with them though.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I believe that Maximum has a lot more options for both spring rates and dampers.

Plus Maximum definitely has more experience with Mustang suspension setups than Eibach. :read:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I believe that Maximum has a lot more options for both spring rates and dampers.

Plus Maximum definitely has more experience with Mustang suspension setups than Eibach. :read:

Ya never know, Eibach is a pretty big company and has been around for years. They are involved in all sorts of racing leagues and probably have more suspension experience than any other company.

stradt03

Established Member

I've got 325s on my front MM coilovers and I really like the ride. It's still firm enough to take corners way too fast but not so firm that my kidneys hurt.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've got 325s on my front MM coilovers and I really like the ride. It's still firm enough to take corners way too fast but not so firm that my kidneys hurt.

375/575 here with the Maximum S1 Bilsteins. Love the ride and the handling on the street, can't wait to try it on the track :rockon:

tfe_man

Established Member
i dont mean to jack anyones thread but why start a new one but anyways i have a stock front suspension with MM caster camber i would like to go coilovers up front if i go with the mm coilover does that use my excisting front bilstien shock and spring or does it come with all new stuff i know this sounds bad but i know nothin about this stuff and really appreciate all your help if i dont go with mm who else makes a good streetable coilover that is ajustable thank you very much

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
i dont mean to jack anyones thread but why start a new one but anyways i have a stock front suspension with MM caster camber i would like to go coilovers up front if i go with the mm coilover does that use my excisting front bilstien shock and spring or does it come with all new stuff i know this sounds bad but i know nothin about this stuff and really appreciate all your help if i dont go with mm who else makes a good streetable coilover that is ajustable thank you very much

You can use your existing Struts depending on what Spring Rate you get for the coil overs. The factory spring will have to go however.

I would call Maximum and tell them what you are looking for in your car, they will advise you as to the best combo of Spring Rates and Shocks/Struts :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread