Show me your coilover setup!

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Im thinking I want coil overs but which brand:shrug:and do I want to use the stock springs or do I want to get the aftermarkets:shrug:

Please post some pics and what u have thanks.

BTW what is the big diff between coil overs and just lowering springs

Do I need the catsre/camber plates with coil overs

Last edited:

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
+1 on this thread. I've got some answer for you based on my research but I would rather wait for someone who actually OWNS a set of coilovers to chime in :-D

MVD

Established Member
Im thinking I want coil overs but which brand:shrug:and do I want to use the stock springs or do I want to get the aftermarkets:shrug:

Please post some pics and what u have thanks.

BTW what is the big diff between coil overs and just lowering springs

Not sure what you are asking but the whole point of a coilover kit is that it places a coil spring over the strut......conveniently thus the name "coilover". Not sure why you ask if you should use the stock springs.

The main difference between coilovers and lowering springs is the adjustability. Lowering springs give you one height and your done....coilovers are adjustable. Coilovers also weigh less.

As I said in your other thread, to get a proper alignment whether you are just lowering or doing coilovers you will likely need a set of CC plates.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
As I said in your other thread, to get a proper alignment whether you are just lowering or doing coilovers you will likely need a set of CC plates.

You should also bumpsteer the suspension after final ride height is determined.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

RCMPSVT

Established Member
Not sure what you are asking but the whole point of a coilover kit is that it places a coil spring over the strut......conveniently thus the name "coilover". Not sure why you ask if you should use the stock springs.

The main difference between coilovers and lowering springs is the adjustability. Lowering springs give you one height and your done....coilovers are adjustable. Coilovers also weigh less.

MM offers coilover pkgs with springs and without. So does that mean some people use the stock springs?

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
MM offers coilover pkgs with springs and without. So does that mean some people use the stock springs?

No, it means that you have to go buy your own coil over springs, maybe from UPR or someone other than MM. Just a different cheaper package from MM for people who may have access to their own coil over springs. Once you go with coil overs your stock or aftermarket springs are off the car.

Looks like there is confusion about what coilover are. As stated above, it places a spring over top of the strut or shock in the front or back of the car. Hence the name coilover. Once you put coilovers on you then remove any stock or aftermarket springs you had on the car, they are replaced by the coilover springs.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

Yup they are pretty much mandatory.

After talking to MM, I went with their coil overs with 375/575 spring rates on the stock struts and 00R shocks. After I while I decided to get a better matched set of shocks/struts and ordered up their S1 Valved Bilsteins, much better.

Depending on your spring rates, you will or will not need new struts/shocks. The 375/575s I have are towards the firm side for a street DD, but I love how it rides and handles. One other thing is that if you use Bilstein shocks, you will need the shock body to be 'grooved' to fit the MM hardware. Rather than send in my stockers (DD), I ordered the 00R Bilsteins which were a better match.

Beyond the coil overs, I have their C/C plates and tubular A-arms.

This is how it sits:

002-1.gif

040.gif

041.gif

Edit:

Don't really have any up close shots of the hardware online, I might have some at home

024-2.gif

Last edited:

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
For those of you that had both set ups, springs and coilovers, what was the difference besides the obvious drop height adjustibility. Were coilovers noiser, squeekier over bumps? Will my every day driving be anyway affected by the coilover set up vs HR spring set up?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
For those of you that had both set ups, springs and coilovers, what was the difference besides the obvious drop height adjustibility. Were coilovers noiser, squeekier over bumps? Will my every day driving be anyway affected by the coilover set up vs HR spring set up?

If you have good parts and everything is setup right, no noise at all :rockon:

Daily drove the 03 for 2 years on the coil overs and was nothing short of happy. Your main concern should be getting the right spring rates for what you want.

MVD

Established Member
If you have good parts and everything is setup right, no noise at all :rockon:

Daily drove the 03 for 2 years on the coil overs and was nothing short of happy. Your main concern should be getting the right spring rates for what you want.

+1 on everything said above.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

MM coilovers 375#/600# with 00R rear shocks.

I am going with 400# fronts and revalved struts soon. I have been very happy with the coilovers. They are quiet, and ride better than the stock setup.

ragu1585

Game Over
Established Member
MM has a nice set, thats what i had on my car, now only have them up front. i would also look into eibachs coilover setup too!!!

mrose75

Established Member
I have the MM coilover package like Like LargeOrangeFont. Not sure of the spring rates though. Oh, and minus the '00 R brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
I'll soon be converting over to a full MM coil-over setup with 400# in the front with 650# in the rear. New MM race shocks and struts to go with them. New cobra r Brembo's and new brake pads. Maybe throw in some Nitto NT-01's for the open track stuff. I'm hopeing that will really get my car to turning good and not plow. Gonna do a lil weight reduction too, but nothing too drastic.

Users who are viewing this thread