should I get my roommate's kid an xmas gift?

JasonSnake

Established Member
Here's the thing. I moved in a few months ago. At first I wasn't told my roommate had a kid before I came to see the place. Then, the land lady told me the roommate brings her kid for weekend custody. I really didn't have a problem with that. Fast forward, the kid is always talking and having fun with me. I enjoy having her around on the weekends. She is only 6 and she pushes those 'dad' buttons I didn't know I had.

However, consider the following:
*her mom is just a miserable woman in her early 40's - divorced for a few months now. She has a strange personality - she looks like she hates everyone all the time - never gives you any eye contact when talking to you - has never had much to say to me even though I am always outgoing. Maybe every once in a while she'll crack a smile but it looks like the smile from that extended scene in Terminator 2 when Connor tells him to try.

terminator-2-smile-o.gif

Every time I hear her mother talking to the land lady (50-ish y/o), it's always about finding a rich guy to marry and locking him in by getting preggo. :rollseyes She also goes to some kind of psychological therapy weekly (although not sure about what). She's originally from south america and knows not a lick of english even after being in the US for at least 7 years.

*the kid and her dad get along great. He has her during the week. I've met him once and he's a pretty cool guy. He's an x-ray tech. He was also diagnosed with multiple sclerosis unfortunately. Other than that, I don't know much else.

So, if I were to buy a small xmas gift for the kid, would I be offending either of her parents? I'll feel like an ahole if I don't, but also if I do.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
LOL @ all that text. It's a simple question, and I doubt you're speaking of a $500 gift. Buy the little kid something for $20, $40 or whatever you want, and enjoy watching the kid's eyes light up and enjoy a new toy. If either parent says anything, tell them to kindly **** off.

JasonSnake

Established Member
LOL @ all that text. It's a simple question, and I doubt you're speaking of a $500 gift. Buy the little kid something for $20, $40 or whatever you want, and enjoy watching the kid's eyes light up and enjoy a new toy. If either parent says anything, tell them to kindly **** off.

Well reason I said all that is because I don't want to open a can of worms with this woman. We don't fight or anything but I just get a bad vibe from her.

stroked mach

Established Member
yea I don't see them having a problem with it I have a few buds that gets my boy and out two girls stuff from time to time and they get a kick out of it and I think its cool of them, buddy just got my 9month old boy a tractor and it was coolk seeing my buddys face just as much as my boys lol

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I would definitely get her a gift, and if you don't want to chance opening a can of worms, make it From: Santa.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would be very surprised if your roommate would be offended with you buying her daughter a gift. It's not like you're a stranger. Especially since you get along so well with her (the 6 year old girl). As pointed out, you don't have to spend a lot of money. It's the thought that counts. And a lesser cost gift eliminates her thinking you gave more than she did. I think the little girl will be very happy with your gift. Just tell mom that it was something you just wanted to do.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
No.

The kid has already lost one father figure. You don't need her latching on only to have you leave her life which will happen. Mom sounds like a piece of work. On top of everything else, she's allowing her kid to be in the same house with a man that's not the father. That's totally good parenting...

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
No.

The kid has already lost one father figure. You don't need her latching on only to have you leave her life which will happen. Mom sounds like a piece of work. On top of everything else, she's allowing her kid to be in the same house with a man that's not the father. That's totally good parenting...

Wow you bring up a great point!:eek:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It is x-mas man! let your heart decide. as long as you know how to handle the or anticipate the multitude of reactions, I would go for it. you sound mature enough to deal with all sides of it. making a 6 yo smile for x-mas is a sure ticket to heaven, lol!

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Anonymous gift. Will help u feel better knowing you gave her some thing but won't put the spotlight directly on you. Sure it would be nice to be recognized for an act of kindness but that isn't the reason for giving a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread