Should I get gears?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
4.10/4.30 will allow you to pull in 5th much much easier.

And yes with gears the top speed will be higher.
As said before,
With 3.27s the motor can't pull the car to its top speed.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
How is using NOS in overdrive 5th gonna blow the motor if you kick it on from 4K to Redline? I have AT LEAST 200 dragstrip passes with squeeze, granted I never used 5th gear but I'd take 4th to Redline!
So your saying with 3.27's in 5th it isn't gonna gonna tach out? What it's just gonna stop accelerating and die? I really don't get it? I simply said a 3.27 car is gonna have a higher top end speed that a 4.56, especially with the 5th gear ratio of the T-45! Sure it's gonna take longer to get there!! I can't see a 4.56 getting much more than 125 with a 3.27 maybe 150!:shrug:

Spraying your car in overdrive goes along the same principles at the terminator guys doing top speed pulls in 5th/6th gear. Load severely increases, oil pressure doesn't. Same cooling problems as the terminator guys as well. You're gonna melt some pistons by doing so. If you don't believe me, have at it and let me know the outcome.

We're really beating the dead horse here about this gear discussion. Again, if you don't believe me, use the search function; it tells all.

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
If you like doing highway pulls to those speeds do not do 4.10's. A perfect example is my buddies 05 GT. He could get a fender to half car on me from a roll with his stock 3.55's. He did nothing else but put 4.10's in the car and it is the same race, from a 40mph 2nd gear roll to 120 he pulls a fender. we have raced over a dozen times both ways and it is the same, the 4.10's did nothing for him for roll racing. And shifting to 5th at 120 during a race is pretty much a waste of time because the motor drops down below the powerband.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
If you like doing highway pulls to those speeds do not do 4.10's. A perfect example is my buddies 05 GT. He could get a fender to half car on me from a roll with his stock 3.55's. He did nothing else but put 4.10's in the car and it is the same race, from a 40mph 2nd gear roll to 120 he pulls a fender. we have raced over a dozen times both ways and it is the same, the 4.10's did nothing for him for roll racing. And shifting to 5th at 120 during a race is pretty much a waste of time because the motor drops down below the powerband.

It's a good thing we're talking about 4v cars eh?

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
i would go with 4:30 thats what i ran in my car when i was N/A and Loved them. I could still go around 125mph in 4th. And i also have a set with 5k miles FS for $80 shipped if your interested.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Spraying your car in overdrive goes along the same principles at the terminator guys doing top speed pulls in 5th/6th gear. Load severely increases, oil pressure doesn't. Same cooling problems as the terminator guys as well. You're gonna melt some pistons by doing so. If you don't believe me, have at it and let me know the outcome.

We're really beating the dead horse here about this gear discussion. Again, if you don't believe me, use the search function; it tells all.
I agree it's beating a dead horse, but I guess I need to inform all those guys that do high speed NOS runs on the salt flats to buy some extra sets of pistons and head gaskets!:thumbsup:
And Stampede the 99 Cobra CAN'T reach its Top Speed with 3.27 gears?
I've never heard this before?

sleepermobile

Established Member

I switched from 3 27s to 4 10s and its not even close to the same. I used to race a guy with a saturn redline and it was a very close race every time. I had the 4 10s installed and I jump 4-5 cars ahead instantly and keep pulling away. I would hit 5th with 3 27s and the car would mellow out big time and just cruz. Now if im around 6500 in 4th and shift into 5th, it pulls like 4th. It wont drop rpms anything like your saying!!! This car is way way quicker from 40- 140 so im not buying what your saying. Just my opinion for the OP:beer:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I agree it's beating a dead horse, but I guess I need to inform all those guys that do high speed NOS runs on the salt flats to buy some extra sets of pistons and head gaskets!:thumbsup:

I'm going to assume you're referring to a purpose built high speed car on the salt flats with nitrous and not new edge cobra making your point irrelevant.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
at LEAST 4.30 in a NA car bro. if you have balls go with 4.56!!! The only way I would consider staying NA is with 4.56 gears

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I

Yea It can reach its top speed of ~160 or so then aero will not let the motor pull it any faster in 5th.

Put in 4.30s and it will pull 5th up to redline which is ~180-185

Of course the theroretical top speed is higher with 3.27s but it will never get there.
It will get to its top speed with gears.

So the actual top speed the car can reach is higher with gears even though it seems it would be lower.

This of course is with a bolt on NA car.

More power will let it pull the 3.27s higher.

Tremor

NO MERCY
4.10's

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6eQ2GwJhPA&feature=related"]YouTube - 99 Cobra 0-120 mph[/ame]

4.30's

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ET7nbs5Qk0"]YouTube - 99 Cobra test run[/ame]

Someone page Naz, he was running 4.56 NA

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
I listened to both of those videos 1st gear pulls about 5 times, and couldn't really notice a difference. lol

But I plan on doing 4.30's.

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
It's a good thing we're talking about 4v cars eh?

Why because a bolt on n/a cobra makes so much more top end than a bolt on 3v? I don't care if you have your rev limiter raised and can rev it to 7000, power stops at 6400 on 99/01's with bolt on's, same as a bolt on 3v.

Sny714

Established Member
Yea It can reach its top speed of ~160 or so then aero will not let the motor pull it any faster in 5th.

Put in 4.30s and it will pull 5th up to redline which is ~180-185

Of course the theroretical top speed is higher with 3.27s but it will never get there.
It will get to its top speed with gears.

So the actual top speed the car can reach is higher with gears even though it seems it would be lower.

This of course is with a bolt on NA car.

More power will let it pull the 3.27s higher.

x10000000000!!

Some people just dont get it. 3.27s on paper will have a higher top speed than 4.30/4.56 but the 3.27 wont even put 5th in the powerband to push it quick enough. If it was a 500rwhp car with 3.27s on the highway compared to the same car with 4.10s thats a different story.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Why because a bolt on n/a cobra makes so much more top end than a bolt on 3v? I don't care if you have your rev limiter raised and can rev it to 7000, power stops at 6400 on 99/01's with bolt on's, same as a bolt on 3v.

You also want to rev ABOVE your peak power so when you shift you're right back in your power band. There's a reason you see TONS of New Edge cobras with 4.10-4.56 gears and most GTs you see have 3.73's/3.90's and the occasional 4.10.

Solo500

Established Member
How's the condition and does it come with the shims or rebuild kit?

i would go with 4:30 thats what i ran in my car when i was N/A and Loved them. I could still go around 125mph in 4th. And i also have a set with 5k miles FS for $80 shipped if your interested.

Users who are viewing this thread