Should I get gears?

Solo500

Established Member
I know this is one of the most talked about subjects on the board but there's a few reasons why I haven't changed my 3.27s. I like being able to go 160 in fourth, I like the way my car pulls from 100 on, and 5th gear is overdrive so being in fifth at high speeds puts a huge load on the engine.

My questions. Will having gears make my car pull any slower up high and what will the load be like by changing gears?

Tremor

NO MERCY
I know this is one of the most talked about subjects on the board but there's a few reasons why I haven't changed my 3.27s. I like being able to go 160 in fourth, I like the way my car pulls from 100 on, and 5th gear is overdrive so being in fifth at high speeds puts a huge load on the engine.

My questions. Will having gears make my car pull any slower up high and what will the load be like by changing gears?

Well if you like 160mph pulls in 4th.

Then No !

For everyone else Yes

-Jose

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I just did my 4.10 in my cobra and i absolutely love them!!!! Loosing Traction in 1 and 2 nd gear is great, plus the car rev's instantly! :rockon:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Well if you like 160mph pulls in 4th.

Then No !

For everyone else Yes

-Jose

I'm going to disagree with you on this... I bet my car gets to 160mph faster than a 3.27 geared car (with similar mods of course). Unless you're going turbo or something crazy, definitely get some gears.

matt87

Established Member
so you like being in 5th on the highway and having to downshift to 2nd to pass!? j/k! anyway if highway speed driving is your main deal then stick with the stockers as anything less than a 4.10 is a waste of money.

VtekII

Established Member
4.10s here and i love them gets going a lot quicker, i thought my car was a dog, then i drove a similar car with stock gears and it wasnt even close. do it!

Tremor

NO MERCY
I'm going to disagree with you on this... I bet my car gets to 160mph faster than a 3.27 geared car (with similar mods of course). Unless you're going turbo or something crazy, definitely get some gears.

Un4GivN

You disagreed with me noooooooo.... j/k

Just felt op didnt really want to move up in gear or mod.

His post sounds like he's happy with his setup, and was just curious to see if it would be worth it.

Usally people ask which gears to move up to. I wasnt getting that feeling with Op :burnout:

-Jose

99slowbra

SVT FREAK
Established Member
I just put in 4.30s and couldn't be happier...until I get onto the highway. 80mph at 3k in 5th gear sucks. Stock gears are nice for the highway I loved 5th

Solo500

Established Member
I basically want to know if its worth it becing that I don't want to loose any top end and I don't want the engine to have too much load.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I basically want to know if its worth it becing that I don't want to loose any top end and I don't want the engine to have too much load.

In all reality, you have a higher top speed with 4.30/4.56 gears than you do with 3.27's. Your 3.27 gear will run out of ass and quit pulling before the shorter gear will. Of course you will be in 5th instead of 4th.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'd say it would be close to impossible for a 4.56's geared Cobra to have more top end MPH in 5th than a 3.27. Let's say you throw a single stage wet NOS Kit on both of these cars and kick it on at 4K rpms in fifth and run it to redline, which speedo is gonna read higher?? haha!!

Sny714

Established Member
Honestly how often do you travel at 160mph?:dw:

With 4.10s my 4th gear pulls very hard to 125 even from as little as 80.

I was messing around with an M6 on the local highway that is usually empty and it was the only time I maxed out 4th gear and put it in 5th and kept accelerating. Fifth pulled much better than I thought it would. I was impressed and I only have 4.10's. 4.30's or 4.56s must pull very hard in 5th above 120mph.

On another note, I just realized I must've matured since my last mustang bc that notch used to see 120+ often and it was only a high 13 sec car.

I would do the gears, the car will feel completely different and you will wonder why you ever questioned it.

sleepermobile

Established Member
I just did 4 10s and it might not be enough gear. The car seemed fast on the hwy with stock gears in it. I figured I would lose that top end speed, I was wrong big time. I dont care how fast your going with 3 27s, 4 10s will take right off on it. With 4 10s the car will still go very high speeds, much quicker. If you catch 5th just right, its scary fast. Get the gears and wake that car up.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I love my 4.30s because, with stock gears, my T45 would spit out of 5th when cruising at about 2200 RPMs. Now when I'm on the highway, I'm a bit higher in the revs so it don't spit 5th no more.

I love my 4.30s, but I don't think I've ever even taken my car over 110! You must me nuts with your 160 mph pulls lol

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I'd say it would be close to impossible for a 4.56's geared Cobra to have more top end MPH in 5th than a 3.27. Let's say you throw a single stage wet NOS Kit on both of these cars and kick it on at 4K rpms in fifth and run it to redline, which speedo is gonna read higher?? haha!!

See, that's where thinking gets you in trouble. The car simply doesn't have enough ass to pull in 5th gear with 3.27's. A car with a much lower rear end will pull much harder in 5th gear which is what makes my statement true. Not to mention it will get to that speed much quicker. Read below for further assurance. Btw, spraying your car in 5th gear is a big no no and a wonderful way to blow your engine up.

With 4.10s my 4th gear pulls very hard to 125 even from as little as 80.

I was messing around with an M6 on the local highway that is usually empty and it was the only time I maxed out 4th gear and put it in 5th and kept accelerating. Fifth pulled much better than I thought it would. I was impressed and I only have 4.10's. 4.30's or 4.56s must pull very hard in 5th above 120mph.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
See, that's where thinking gets you in trouble. The car simply doesn't have enough ass to pull in 5th gear with 3.27's. A car with a much lower rear end will pull much harder in 5th gear which is what makes my statement true. Not to mention it will get to that speed much quicker. Read below for further assurance. Btw, spraying your car in 5th gear is a big no no and a wonderful way to blow your engine up.

How is using NOS in overdrive 5th gonna blow the motor if you kick it on from 4K to Redline? I have AT LEAST 200 dragstrip passes with squeeze, granted I never used 5th gear but I'd take 4th to Redline!
So your saying with 3.27's in 5th it isn't gonna gonna tach out? What it's just gonna stop accelerating and die? I really don't get it? I simply said a 3.27 car is gonna have a higher top end speed that a 4.56, especially with the 5th gear ratio of the T-45! Sure it's gonna take longer to get there!! I can't see a 4.56 getting much more than 125 with a 3.27 maybe 150!:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread