Should I get another 13-14 GT500 or a GT350 or a?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Nice weather has me itching to get back on road courses. I know the GT350 is supposed to be tailor made for that purpose, but I find it hard to buy a car down 130 to 187 HP to the current competition. Road course car or not, the occasional stop light grand prix always pops up. Even if it doesn't, or I can manage to control myself if one does, having 662HP on tap at all times seems a lot more fun than 520.

Both my GT500s while maybe not the absolute quickest, were a darn lot of fun, and never hiccuped on track. I was bummed at how fast they ate the edges off the front tires, but maybe that could be cured with some caster camber plates?

So my question, are the latest GT350s really that much better daily drivers? Are they better DDs at all?

I am seriously considering the ZL1 1LE, but it appears they won't be out for awhile.

Vettes are out because I need a back seat for my boys.

It seems likely to me a used GT500 will probably lose a lot less value than a GT350 if I decide to sell in a year or two for the new GT500 or the ZL1 1 LE.

Thoughts?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd get a GT350 and add power mod.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Famine

Established Member
My thoughts are you have been down that road and werent satisfied. I would move on to something else. Best of luck.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If you really are a road course guy, 350 all the way... You will get to finally operate with scalpel instead of a Rambo knife.

Just make sure that you get a track pack option car.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Wait for the 2018 GT500.

If there was a firm date for one, maybe, but I really don't want to sit out a whole year.

If the 18 or 19 GT500 will be out in a year or two. If I buy a short term car until I can get the 18-19 GT500 I think the GT350 will taker a bigger hit in it's brand new to a year or two old depreciation, vs buying a 3 or 4 year old GT500 and selling it at 5 or 6 years old. Is the GT350 enough better for road courses to pay for that?

Last edited:

keystonemedical

Established Member
I was in a similar situation a few months back. I had a bunch of money in my 2012 SS Camaro and was at the crossroads with where I wanted to take the car to get more h.p. out of it. That bieng said, I decided to look into what car gave me the most performance in its stock form from the big three. Obviously, you had the Hellcat or the 13-14 GT500s. I just couldnt bring myself to buying a Dodge, so I found a nice low miles 2013 GT500. I love this car and regret nothing about the purchase. I looked at a couple of local GT350s that dealers had and both were in the high 50s pricewise and I did have the fear that the value would start to drop on them. Im a horsepower guy so, I went with the older car with the higher ponies. Im sure if I was a track guy I would of bought the 350 or maybe even the Z28 but, I just like to drive. My thinking is by the time Ford decides when there going to release the GT500 again, Ill wait a year or two and trade my 13 in on it. I believe even by that point that my 13 will hold its value well enough to get a good trade in on the new GT500.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I'd go dedicated. It doesn't have to be a Gt500 or GT350 or anything new. I'd get a cheap body fox car and do a complete road race suspension..plus gut the car..keep/rebuild the 302 or get fancy and do a budget (but dependable) 331 n/a. For the money saved from purchasing a new car I would put that into big brakes and tires(and maybe some more road race schools). Keep the GT500 as a dd and use that as a stoplight contest contender. I was in a similar situation as you, but the wife talked some sense into me and I realized that my driving skills levels at the track did not match the hp/tq of my cars....lol.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I have been down this road too and I just believe that nothing compares to a 13/14 GT500. I have tracked a Roush Trak Pak and a 997S and I have been on track with my 14 GT500 and could not be happier. Stainless brake lines are a must and they are not perfect but pretty darn close. The balance to me is nice and the power never gets old. Camber plates would help but chances are the front is gonna slide some anyhow. A GT350 that is not track pack equipped is not a road course car and there are documented cases of big engine problems on the ones that are. I dont believe that they will hold the hearts of Road Course only people the way the Boss 302 has., and in daily life having to be at the upper range of the rpm band to feel like you have power is no where near as fun as the grunt of a Trinity.

I will track once a year or so and I love it, but it will not be the total point of my Mustang experience. As an occasional Road Course car, I think you cannot go wrong with a 13/14 GT500.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm on my 2nd 13/14 GT500. I can't see myself owning anything else. I absolutely love the 13/14s. The GT350 is cool but not for me, and you wouldn't catch me dead in ZL1 lol.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
I track my 14 500. I put a a Cortex racing watts link, it stabilizes the rear end very effectively. IRS becomes a moot point. Makes the GT 350R (cool car though) advantage kinda not a big deal. High RPMs or not.
It is a hand full with that torque, but a fun ride. Would I get another 13/14?

Maybe just keep mine and try another model. Maybe the ZL1/!LE, or wait on the 2018 500.

Or just wait for the V6 Alpha Romeo Giulia to take one year to work it's bugs out and try one of those. It put down a better time than the350 R at the
Nurburgring. Whatever that would mean. But it did.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You seem to be pretty happy with the '13-'14 GT-500, so I'd recommend another one. Like you said, you can sell it when the new one comes out. As a daily you'll probably be happier with it than the GT-350. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread