Should I get another 13-14 GT500 or a GT350 or a?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Started looking for 13-14s, but I think I'm going to stop. I'm just not excited by the prospect. They have a "Been there, done that" kinda feel to me. Plus any of the cars I found that I liked, were, IMHO over priced. And I don't want to start negotiating if I'm not 100% positive I want to pull the trigger on one.

13Cobra was nice enough to offer me a killer deal on a 17 GT350 before he opened it up to the whole forum, but of all the colors, yellow might be my least favorite (please don't flame me, yellow lovers).

I must be bad at searching, I think Chris! and or Snorman may have done a 13-14 vs GT350 write up, I need to find those.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I've got quite a few miles tracking in a few cars. I've tracked my 14 GT500 a couple times. It is stock other than L springs and a panhard bar. It is an acceptable track car stock, pushes like crazy but goes like a bat out of hell down the straights. I bought it as a street cruiser/bruiser and it excels in that area. Torque is addictive on the street.

This past month I instructed a student in a 350R. I went with him for two days and took the car out for one session. Those cars are 100% designed for the track. I was amazed how balanced it was and track ready it was stock. These cars made a bad driver good and a moderate driver really good. They are so forgiving. I was really impressed.

The analogy of a knife vs. a scalpel is right on. If you track a lot, you will love the new 350 just make sure it is a track pack. For me, I wanted a street cruiser I could take to the track if I decided to.

Tom

nxhappy

Established Member
Enlighten me, which is the one to get, and what are the going for these days?

well, if I could afford one, I would get a 5th gen. They run 70k-100k ish. But you don't see them on the road often and the power to weight it amazing.

you could still find an older one though for 40-60k depending on the generation. Gen 2 is pretty sweet because you get forged internals good for 1000whp but the interior is dated (obviously). The viper is a totally different animal. I loved my GT500 (650 WHP) but the Viper is just so much more raw.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
OP,
Not sure if you know about it but one of the best track cars for the money is a camaro ss 1le. Very affordable and drives like a big go kart. It really is something else.

If you are open to non ford brands, I highly suggest that you go and test drive one.

jtfx6552

Established Member
OP,
Not sure if you know about it but one of the best track cars for the money is a camaro ss 1le. Very affordable and drives like a big go kart. It really is something else.

If you are open to non ford brands, I highly suggest that you go and test drive one.

For the first time, after 10 Mustangs, I am open to a Camero. Since I've seen the ZL1 1LE, any other 1LE won't do it for me, lol.

Damn I wish you could buy one now, it would be in the garage.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I've got quite a few miles tracking in a few cars. I've tracked my 14 GT500 a couple times. It is stock other than L springs and a panhard bar. It is an acceptable track car stock, pushes like crazy but goes like a bat out of hell down the straights. I bought it as a street cruiser/bruiser and it excels in that area. Torque is addictive on the street.

This past month I instructed a student in a 350R. I went with him for two days and took the car out for one session. Those cars are 100% designed for the track. I was amazed how balanced it was and track ready it was stock. These cars made a bad driver good and a moderate driver really good. They are so forgiving. I was really impressed.

The analogy of a knife vs. a scalpel is right on. If you track a lot, you will love the new 350 just make sure it is a track pack. For me, I wanted a street cruiser I could take to the track if I decided to.

Tom
Great information, Tom. Rs are still crazy money, lowest one I could find was asking 15K over sticker.

Do you think the non R track pack would be as rewarding on track?

I found a new 16 track pack, for 3K over sticker, but it's still under 60K, in a color I can live with. I'm thinking if I was serious I could probably get it down to MSRP, maybe better.

For used 16s, virtually all of them are non track pack. A lot of them the window stickers won't come up un Fords site, so I'm using the rear spoiler as my determining factor on that, since most dealers are too clueless to put that in the description.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
For the first time, after 10 Mustangs, I am open to a Camero. Since I've seen the ZL1 1LE, any other 1LE won't do it for me, lol.

Damn I wish you could buy one now, it would be in the garage.

Well by all means, if your budget allows, go for the ZL1 1LE. I doubt there will be a better car for anywhere near the price.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Well by all means, if your budget allows, go for the ZL1 1LE. I doubt there will be a better car for anywhere near the price.
What's the scuttlebutt on when one can actually buy one? Then of course, how long will the wait be until you can buy one for a reasonable non ADM price?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What's the scuttlebutt on when one can actually buy one? Then of course, how long will the wait be until you can buy one for a reasonable non ADM price?

Not sure at this point. But that car will be worth the wait.

350s are another great option, just get a track pack car. Had the chance to test drive one and it left me very impressed. The 350 makes our 13/14 500s feel like a bean bag in the handling department. Obviously not as fast in a straight line but faster at the track were you are bound to have tons of fun with it.

As a matter of fact, here is one of the best deals I have seen on a new GT350. I hear the seller is a great guy to deal with:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/last-2017-gt350-up-for-grabs.1136928/

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Do you think the non R track pack would be as rewarding on track?

I found a new 16 track pack, for 3K over sticker, but it's still under 60K, in a color I can live with. I'm thinking if I was serious I could probably get it down to MSRP, maybe better..

Honestly, I would take the track pack over the R. To 99% of the people, they would handle equal IF they had the same tires. The R tires are like glue. The track pack doesn't have the $4,000 per rim carbon fiber rims either. I would be scared to death of damaging one of them.

Get the Track Pack.

Tom

1FASFKR

Established Member
Boss 302 with bolt on power mods at the great used prices available today ?

I'd be tempted to get back into a Boss before another GT500. That car was fun and nimble.

Viper as a DD? BWAAHAHAHAHA. 2 hours in one was enough for me and I'm a young guy.

nxhappy

Established Member
I'd be tempted to get back into a Boss before another GT500. That car was fun and nimble.

Viper as a DD? BWAAHAHAHAHA. 2 hours in one was enough for me and I'm a young guy.
Vipers are comfortable as hell. It's a matter of getting in and out LOL

1FASFKR

Established Member
Vipers are comfortable as hell. It's a matter of getting in and out LOL

Sounds like you can tolerate a road trip in one better than I did. Anyways, I got a HC now and couldn't be happier. The A8 is the eighth wonder of the automotive world. The Shelby was a great car but the HC just offers so much more.

nxhappy

Established Member
Sounds like you can tolerate a road trip in one better than I did. Anyways, I got a HC now and couldn't be happier. The A8 is the eighth wonder of the automotive world. The Shelby was a great car but the HC just offers so much more.
IMO once you are in, it's comfortable all day. But it's a bitch getting in ! Turn the ass, squat down, crunch legs in....LOL

torque124

I own a GT350 , owned a 13' GT500 before. I miss sometimes the pure grunt of the GT500... But I would never go back. The 350 is a better all around car. More comfortable on the street, easier to drive in any conditions, and hands down a better car on the track .
I am still waiting for the new GT500, if ever comes out .... could be best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread