Should I change the 5 year old oil in my DD???

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
OK, waiting for results. The oil in my car has been in there 3 years come August, with maybe 2K miles on it. Oil is, RP 5w30.

Swervedriver

Established Member
I used to change the Cobra oil (RP) about once a year because the car only saw about 2k miles a year. Now that I've pulled the rod & main bearings out I feel it needs to be changed more often than that. There were some odd spots on the bearings that looked almost like corrosion spots. I suspect that since the engine sat for long periods in a very humid garage, a lot of condensation was watering down the oil. It being a high boost engine, there was already fuel dilution going on so between those two things I feel it should be changed every 6 months or so.
brngs002.jpg

With that said, the spots didn't seen to cause any problems and may have burned off after a few oil changes and extended heat cycles.

My car now lives in a climate controlled garage and I've decided to run a cheaper oil and change it a lot more frequently. I've been using 10-30 Rotella synth blend in the silver bottle and have been changing it a lot more often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread