Should I change the 5 year old oil in my DD???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A while back I posted this article:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ses-oil-dating-back-nixon-administration.html

I have been running the oil featured in that article since 2/2/13, for a total of about 6,000 miles. Most seem to believe that oil should be changed once per year regardless of mileage, but I feel that may be a bit too often for a quality synthetic. But here's where this gets really tricky, the oil that I put in the Explorer over a year ago was actually bought in 2009. So we're really talking about 5 year old oil here. Add to that the fact that I did a custom supercharger install on that truck a few months back and things really get interesting.

Do you guys think it's time for an oil change? If nothing else it should make for an interesting Blackstone report.

:beer:

BMR Tech

My opinion, you should drain the oil and send it to me, so I can use it in my Cobra. ;)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
6,500 miles on the oil now. I'll keep running it a bit longer, but I may have to sell the truck in a few months. Hopefully I can keep it, but we'll see.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I usually run the oil in my GT350 about 2 years--that's synthetic and maybe 3000 miles. It looks great when I change it.

1hot281

Established Member
As far as I know, the age of oil, new in the bottle, doesn't matter... But once the oil is put in to service, it is best to change it once a year... Keep in mind, I said best. Can you run an oil 18 or even 24 months? Probably. Is it optimal? Probably not. Why? One word: oxidation. The base oil is in a constant fight against oxidation... Regardless of miles. Motor oils have plenty of additives to fight oxidation, but they don't last forever.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/basic-lubrication-design/

That said, in the past I personally have run Amsoil 0w30 18 months/5k miles in my Saleen.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Travis,

Some owners only change their oil every 18 months due to low miles of service, when they are using a top tier synthetic. You'd make a good UOA example from your Explorer, just to see how it's doing. I do not start the time clock on any lubricant until it's poured into the sump. Oil can last 20+ years on the shelf.

4a7191a

Established Member
I do mine 2 times a year, its humid in southeast texas. I could maybe start changing once a year, but I'd prefer to test it afterwards for wear. I've got two 4 qt jugs of rp for my generator from like 2010 still sitting not opened. I think as long as the seal is good and its moisture free things should be fine. :)

1hot281

Established Member
Changed it at 7,500 miles today. Replaced it with 5w30 Pennzoil Ultra. More Blackstone reports coming soon.

This should be a good one.

Injured_player_eating_popcorn.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread