Should I build a DOHC 5.8 or Buy a Coyote?

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
When it comes time for the build I am not cutting any corners. Only the best quality and parts will go into it.

Next question its off topic but is there anyone who knows where I can find carbon fiber fenders? I can find the hood and trunk I want but I can't find fenders. Also how well do painted carbon fiber exterior hold up?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So do most engine builders. No real hidden voodoo behind these cams at this point.

I beg to differ on the specs for a 358 that is going to stay below 7000. I would guess that most people would not get the close to what is needed to make good power with this combo. The duration is relatively easy, the LCs on the other hand are where most don't get it right.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
I just found a Ford GT block for sale for a good price. I am thinking about buying it for my build unless anyone can think of why not too.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I just found a Ford GT block for sale for a good price. I am thinking about buying it for my build unless anyone can think of why not too.

Arent the FORD GT blocks dry sump??

I know FRPP offered a similar block for wetsump applications.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I'm definately going with the 5.8 route. Now to play the waiting game with getting back from the desert and getting the pieces for this puzzle.

Good for you man, I can't wait to hear the details and see how it does!

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
The GT blocks are dry sump. The big advantage from what I read on dry sump systems is the ability to mount the car lower due to the external oil reservoir which will improve the center of gravity. I can also mount that reservoir any where I want to improve the weight distribution.

I can't wait to get back from the "vacation" and stationed back in the US so I can get this thing going. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the GT block next month. I'd like to bore the GT block to 5.8 like the 2013 GT500. If anyone knows what the best route for internals would be please let me know.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Do not do a dry sump on a street car. The block can easily be modified for an oil pump which will rsuce cost and make the swap a lot easier.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Do not do a dry sump on a street car. The block can easily be modified for an oil pump which will rsuce cost and make the swap a lot easier.

Would it even be worth getting the FGT block if I am not using it for the dry sump system?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The advantage of the block is that it's aluminum. The fact that it's a dry sump means little. I'd be interested in it if you pass in getting it.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Man after reading all this op I'm wondering why not just go with what you know works. The coyote engine is a beast, and if you buy the aluminator 5.0 it's forged and ready to go with whatever you have in mind. Don't get me wrong I like your 5.8'idea but just seems like a lot more work and the power gains over the 5.0 is well unknown to an extent.
Id say forged 5.0 cams/ported heads/cobra jet intake/ long tubes on e85 will net you over 500whp

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Meh, if you're trying to make a N/A 5.8 I wouldn't.. the Coyote has better heads for N/A imo.

Mystick has the right idea. Build a N/A 302 500rwhp screamer!

Z06's are dry sump from the factory... :shrug:

I have never heard of dry sump systems being a issue on a street car.

Last edited:

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
The coyote is definately an easier route to go since it is plug in play, but the idea of having a 5.8 DOHC is such an appealing idea. From what I have read and heard from some engine builders I can make more with the 5.8 combo and do it cheaper than doing a coyote swap. My brother works at a performance shop and I can get the labor on my engine done for the cost of a couple cases of beer. Also the cobra jet intake, throttle body and instal hardware will run me an arm and a leg alone.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Yes one of the Aussie Boss intakes. They can be a tad difficult to come by but I have nothing but time to wait for the right deal.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Are you going to modify it for an oval TB on the pass side? I was looking into this intake before and using the Yella Terra upper plenum for it. It's such a nice looking piece but pricey and hard to obtain since they are a company based down under.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
I am going to swap it to the passenger side but stick with the circular TB. They are pretty pricey sometimes but well worth the money. I am also trying to keep a semi stock look to the car and this intake fits the bill for it.

Right now I am trying to decide on what internals I want to run. If anyone has any inputs please let me know.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yes one of the Aussie Boss intakes. They can be a tad difficult to come by but I have nothing but time to wait for the right deal.

The Aussie boss intake will choke a 5.8 and cannot be used with GT heads. The Cobra R and Sullivan are the only options for a GT headed 5.4 based engine.

Users who are viewing this thread