Should I build a DOHC 5.8 or Buy a Coyote?

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Once I get back from deployment I am going to completely rebuild my 98 Cobra from the ground up. I am trying to get a list of stuff that I need before the time comes to start the build. I am stuck on what route to go on my engine. I am stuck between doing a 5.4 punched out to 5.8 with 03/04 C heads with and an Aussie intake, or just buying a 5.0 Coyote. Let me know what you guy and gals think.

V/R

Connor Hamilton

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Some GT or GT500 heads would compliment a 5.8L much better. Coyote is proven to make good power though with the stock rotating assembly. I think AED has their n/a coyote north of 500hp on bolt ons with comp cams.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If you're wanting 500rw or less and don't want huge tq the coyote is the best option. On the other hand, if you're looking for big low and midrange power a 5.8 is the best choice. The 5.8 has its drawbacks as adds quite a bit of weight and requires custom headers which will cost a bunch.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
If you're wanting 500rw or less and don't want huge tq the coyote is the best option. On the other hand, if you're looking for big low and midrange power a 5.8 is the best choice. The 5.8 has its drawbacks as adds quite a bit of weight and requires custom headers which will cost a bunch.

I was hoping you would chime in NA SVT. I will go with an aluminum block if I go the 5.8 route. I have the hook up on Ford parts. I can get a 2013 Gt500 block 20% off. I can also get the Coyote under dealer employee price. My goal is to be over 450 rwhp and over 450rwtq. I don't plan on dragging the car a whole lot but I do enjoy spirited driving. I would also like to be able to suprise my buddies cammed 2010 SS and be able to enjoy my car on windy back roads and road courses.

Also would a 5.8 be streetable

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
If high tq is the goal the 5.8 is the best option. With the right cams you would be able to make 500/450 all while keeping the RPMs to 7000.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
The 5.8 idea is starting to sound better and better. Are the 03/04 heads still the best idea or should I go with a Gt500/Ford Gt head?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
03/04 heads will make be sufficient for your goal. The gt heads are expensive and will require a cobra r intake.

Shaunk

Established Member
Depends where you get them from. Mark at bullet does a great job with them as does cam motion. I use a ton of Mark's grinds and so do a lot of top name builders.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I priced a Coyote swap before buying the Vortech...was going to come out around to 10-12k all said and done. And that's with me doing all the labor. Not cheap.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
I'm definately going with the 5.8 route. Now to play the waiting game with getting back from the desert and getting the pieces for this puzzle.

Users who are viewing this thread