should I be worried? - metal dust/shavings in fresh oil

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Agreed, I'm not talking about "shavings" but rather ultra fine particulates here and there. Use a clean pan and a strong flashlight and swish it around with your face in your drain pan (not too many people do that, lol). Like I said, I think some will be surprised at findings. I'll pass on my OCD to you guys yet. :)

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
BUT, until I loose oil psi, hear a audible noise, etc ..... I don't worry. Engines, transmissions, brakes, most machinery (from a engineering perspective) "wear" is the theory of operation. None of the stuff I aforementioned will last forever.

O.P. ... Run it. Check oil psi with a mechanical gauge for peace of mind if you wish. Just keep a eye on things, use your head.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Scrutinizing the 2nd and 3rd picture would make me suspicious too. Usually what I see is: smaller, less in quantity, and silver. The size and color (gold ?) I see in yours would defiantly raise a little concern to me.

LOL. This is how I can be also.... Take car out and beat the living hell out of it, or strap it down to a dyno. I'd rather have something let go on my terms. If it survives (likely will), re-scrutinize the oil. Remember to use some sheet metal shears to open up a oil filter. Cutting them defeats the purpose (makes a mess of "dust".

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Agree also, 6.8q WILL NOT hurt engine. These pans can actually hold 8-9 quarts. Ford Racing says to use 6.5. I run between 6.5-7quarts.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
LOL, one more thing. Like "Jimmysidecarr" said: put a magnet on the filter, run it, and see what happens from there. Probably exactly what I would do if I was you. Black stone tests are great, but a seasoned mechanic has a good eye.

Good Luck

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I run magnetic oil plugs in most my vehicles and you'd be amazed at the normal metallic "dust" that collects on them between oil changes.

cobracide

Established Member
On my 2001 aluminum block, got specs of metal in the oil all the time in small amounts. Haven't noticed anything like that with the iron block 2003.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
right, update:

Changed the oil yesterday and put a new filter in. Drove 20 miles and checked about a coffee cup worth from the pan this morning. Again, full of glitter.
You know what I think? I think it's the sump plug creating these metal flakes when I tighten and release it. The little bit of oil that comes pouring out over the plug takes them with it into my drainpan.

I can not for the life of me imagine this engine creating all that metal dust in 20 miles of driving, without sounding unhealthy. It would also explain why I can't find large quantities of metal in the rest of the oil that was all changed out in one big go. It seems to be most present when I just take a small cup from the pan.

I poured all 6qt's from the 'suspected oil' from my big drainpan into a small black one a qt at the time to check the oil and couldn't find any concerning amounts of metal. Also cut the filter open and it was clean as a whistle.

Anyone with me on that?

Last edited:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
When I did my first oil change in the Cobra I saw some metal filings in the pan and thought the same things you did. My car was 100% stock at the time. Having some metals filings in used oil is not totally unexpected.

Last edited:

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
When I did my first oil change in the Cobra I saw some metal filings in the pan and thought the same things you did. My car was 100% stock at the time. Having some metals filings in used oil is not totally unexpected.

Used oil maybe, but this was 30 mile old oil, and again in 20 mile old oil.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Unless you're seeing something more than what's in the pics, I wouldn't be worried about it. My personal opinion is your just being paranoid and driving yourself nuts for no reason.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Unless you're seeing something more than what's in the pics, I wouldn't be worried about it. My personal opinion is your just being paranoid and driving yourself nuts for no reason.

What he needs to be paranoid of is advice like this :dw:

If this was an aircraft the AP would "red tag" (ground) the entire plane and chances are the engine would get yanked and broken down until the problem was identified and corrected. Hopefully this is minor but if metal filing continually emerge with the oil means something is being worn away inside the engine. When that parts fails it will set-off a chain reaction and we all know that means :nonono:

It's been my experience unless you find the source of a mysterious problem it will find "you!"

SlowSVT

Established Member
Used oil maybe, but this was 30 mile old oil, and again in 20 mile old oil.

Keep up your practice of checking the oil after 20-30 miles (use cheap oil it won't hurt anything). If it stops I would keep driving the car with my fingers crossed for a while. If you keep getting filings with the oil and it doesn't stop I would start pulling oil pans and timing chain covers. My guess is your oil pump has already taken a hit ingesting some of this stuff.

A magnetic drain plug is a useful item. I install one in all my engines.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Like I said, I think it's the drain plug that is the problem. I think it's creating the filing and the oil is taking them with it into my drain pan.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Like I said, I think it's the drain plug that is the problem. I think it's creating the filing and the oil is taking them with it into my drain pan.

That would mean the threads on the drain plug are stripping. Is that a correct statement?

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Could be, I haven't really been able to check it over properly after this idea because I don't want to drain the oil for the 3rd time, and its in storage now too sadly.

I did notice it's a 13mm bolt, while I remember the ones on my '94 and '96 were bigger. It doesn't use a copper washer either, it's a different metal. So this leads me to believe that it's not the original or correct drainplug.

ps. I took a little stronger magnet to the dust/shavings in the last oil sample I saved in my drainpan and it's def magnetic and more silver than gold looking.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The drain plug is not your problem. If it was you would know by how shitty it would thread into the pan.

Keep checking your oil.

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
Sadly, I can't drive or check the oil till march, the car is in winter storage. I do still have one drainpan with a little oil that I drained the last time.

The particals are definitly attrackted by a magnet, I thought bearing material wasn't magnetic?

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
I've contacted blackstone labs to see if they work internationally too... Still having sleepless nights over this crap.

Users who are viewing this thread