should I be worried? - metal dust/shavings in fresh oil

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Don't, just drive it. Like my previous posts ... Most people just don't normally take the time to scrutinize the oil coming out of the pan, likewise ... This thread would blow up if people did. Yours looks a touch concerning to me, but it no noise, no smoke, good oil psi (checked with a mechanical gauge), and a compression test all check out good ... Drive it and stop worrying, nothing you can do to stop it (my opinion, you're one of the few that looks at this stuff). Unless you want to pull engine and spend 4-6k dollars (us).

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
UPDATE

Possibly bad news, I bought one of those magnetic pens and only a part of the dust that has settled on the bottom of my drain pan is ferrous. It seems the finest particals are not moved by the magnet.

I've run 7qts on mine for about 65k. Recently started going with 6.5qts.

I do a Used oil Analysis every 10k - 15k to see what's going on inside the motor.

I would not panic until doing a UOA.

I run Amsoil though. I don't run inferior oils and I have no problem using their stuff beyond 7k.

OP you have such a low mileage Cobra that I would not rush to judgment.

Invest in a UOA from Amsoil...you'll have a better idea if those 'shavings' are cause for concern.

Btw, I have over 101k on my Termi.

SlowSVT

Established Member
UPDATE

Possibly bad news, I bought one of those magnetic pens and only a part of the dust that has settled on the bottom of my drain pan is ferrous. It seems the finest particals are not moved by the magnet.

Doesn't really matter whether it's Farris or not. An engine with miles on it should show almost no signs of even fine metal filings.

Put the car in storage and get back to it when you return.

Users who are viewing this thread