Should I Be Getting the Boss Manifold?

D.T.R

Established Member
My times in sig. Are with the Boss IM. I do have 3.73 gears so I don't feel any torque loss at all.
Noice. I will put it on for a couple of months while on motor... just to try it on and see how it feels.
I'm sure the benefits of a Boss manifold will amplify with the twin turbo setup, especially spinning the engine up to 7500 rpm.

With the new motor and twins, per JPC advice's ... i will spin it to 8000/81000 rpms.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
i think some 4.10s would be good with a boss manifold. my buddy has 4.10 with the stock intake and its a burnout machine (street tires) untill the top of 3rd. a little less tq from the boss + another 700 rpms would be about right IMO

Rdrcr

Established Member
Eventually, I'm gonna get the Boss IM.

I'm aware that there are different 'tunes' for the Boss manifold but, where are they setting the fuel cut at on a stock 5.0? 7,500...7,700?

Mike

86merc

Established Member
Some are in the 11's

Plenty of stock intakes have gone 11. I have been 11.4 so far with a stock intake. I think there is more in it as it sits. I keep leaving harder and going quicker. So once I find the limit I will try the Boss I have sitting in the garage.

In drag racing I think the Boss needs a 3.90 or so gear. Or some change to the gear/tire combo. So I don't know if it would go any faster with out those changes. Maybe come this fall I will find out.

D.T.R

Established Member
While on this topic guy, where is the cheapest place to buy the manifold alone? i don't need the other $150 kit that comes with it.

I'm about to pull the trigger now. Does anyone have the part # also?

4VFTW

Established Member
Eventually, I'm gonna get the Boss IM.

I'm aware that there are different 'tunes' for the Boss manifold but, where are they setting the fuel cut at on a stock 5.0? 7,500...7,700?

Mike
my 3-4 shift is at 7750-7800 right now and no sign of cut out... I will be backing that down to around 7600 though.

byeofcr

Established Member
Thanks! So the purge valve is just releasing into the atmosphere?

Negative, i ran the hose to where its supposed to be i just didnt like way it sat just bolted to the block so i made a bracket and also to hide it a bit

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
First off, a TQ loss isn't any concern because I have 3.73's. I want top-end.

Tq gets you going, HP keeps you going. So, a car with more TQ may leave the line quicker, but the Boss Intake car spinning to 7,600 and making more HP SHOULD be the faster car.

FWIW, mine will have a fuel cut of 7,600rpm's. I'll probably keep the TB just to have it. I'll be going F/I in August.

Anyone have the size of the hose and bolts I'm going to need for the Purge Valve? Or is it easier to order it? I wanted to just swing by Autozone on the way back from Tennessee tomorrow......

Thanks for all the input BTW!:beer:

86merc

Established Member
Tq gets you going, HP keeps you going. So, a car with more TQ may leave the line quicker, but the Boss Intake car spinning to 7,600 and making more HP SHOULD be the faster car.

"Faster" as in mph? Maybe. Especially if you are talking roll racing.

But will it be quicker in a 1/4 mile drag race? Most ET is gained in the first part of the track. So if torque gets the car going....you see what I am saying?

I have seen several people switch to a Boss intake and gain 2-3 mph in the 1/4. But yet the ET was higher. Torque and gearing not in their favor? Maybe.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
"Faster" as in mph? Maybe. Especially if you are talking roll racing.

But will it be quicker in a 1/4 mile drag race? Most ET is gained in the first part of the track. So if torque gets the car going....you see what I am saying?

I have seen several people switch to a Boss intake and gain 2-3 mph in the 1/4. But yet the ET was higher. Torque and gearing not in their favor? Maybe.

Yeah, I see your point. If I had 3.31's, I think it would hurt me. But as of right now, I can blow the tires up leaving the line. I also need the higher RPM power because of the gears. As of right now, I'm banging off of the 7,200rpm fuel cut in 4th. Shifting to 5th at ANY RPM has proved to make slower times.

Plus, it just looks badass! lol :rockon:

86merc

Established Member
With you saying you can blow the tires off and need to shift into 5th I would think you would benefit much more from a 28" slick or drag radial than the intake.

But I can not argue that the Boss intake looks real good on these motors. They do look sweet.

burke985

Established Member
You will not shift into 5th with 3.73's. I just did this a couple days ago ,trapped in 4th at 6800 rpm with a 27" tall street tire

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I have every intention of sticking a DR on this car.
I'm just doing all the bolt-on's and getting her to her fastest street trim first.

What tire and wheel combo for the rear do you guys recommend?

86merc

Established Member
Are the drag radials for track use mainly? Where a lot of heavy rain really isn't a issue? If that is the case you can't go wrong with a Goodyear, Hoosier, M/T or M&H.

Wheels are up to your budget and personal style. A 15x8 will bolt right up. A 15x10 you will need sway bar relocation kit to fit.

Last edited:

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Cool, that's what I've found. Thanks!

I'll just go with a 15x8 and a M&H from American Muscle. I had looked at those a few weeks ago.

Fudge

Established Member
Sorry to wake up an old thread, but I have a auto trans car, and I'm planning on putting the boss intake on just to see what happens (I'm getting a good deal on it and like the look) mostly going on for the look! Since I have 3.15 and an auto trans I'm guessing this will not help much until the car goes FI!
Anyways how do these engines hold being spun to 7500+ rpm? I know the boss can do it but the internals are stronger on the Boss then what we have in the regular 5.0!
Any issues with anyone that went with a Boss intake?

orangastang

Established Member
Sorry to wake up an old thread, but I have a auto trans car, and I'm planning on putting the boss intake on just to see what happens (I'm getting a good deal on it and like the look) mostly going on for the look! Since I have 3.15 and an auto trans I'm guessing this will not help much until the car goes FI!
Anyways how do these engines hold being spun to 7500+ rpm? I know the boss can do it but the internals are stronger on the Boss then what we have in the regular 5.0!
Any issues with anyone that went with a Boss intake?

Been spinning mine to 7600 with both intakes. Mine has 33000 miles on it. ...I can't speak for how the boss will do with the 3.15 and the auto. However my 3.73's and manual thanked me for it:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread