Should I Be Getting the Boss Manifold?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I had the boss MF installed with mods listed below, this car pulls hard as Hell all the way to 7500rpms. For a 302 NA car with no nitrous it's extremely impressive.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I used a piece of flat stock as a bracket. Vised it and twisted it to mount the purge valve flat under the TB. No CEL added maybe 10 minutes to the total install (mostly due to drilling metal with a shit cordless drill)
C45CE3FC-E063-4318-8A12-03F51CE3A2D4-3335-000002939F5B4973.jpg

Mine also had one of the nipples break off from shipping had to run to lowes to get a brass fitting..
7A0B0F7A-8797-4F5C-BDA2-A5A631D17D7F-3098-00000278BDBA9D2B.jpg

817B8226-2943-4C6C-B30F-3561C8EE4974-3098-00000283A2B8595B.jpg

I love this mod. The tq loss is negligible i thought it was gunna be super drastic but it isnt.. On the flip side it isnt the "like a hit of nitrous!" Some say it is.. It pulls harder up top but its not that over the top.
Do it.. Dont look back

Thanks! So the purge valve is just releasing into the atmosphere?

Elwood617

Established Member
I have a great torque curve with this manifold on my car. The HP doesn't fall off at 6500 like the stock manifold. It builds until 7200 and holds pretty steady until red line at 7500. Love the manifold!

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
What part number are you guys referring to? 10.00 dollar what? Thanks... :beer:

Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9G297-A, Hose (1 pc.) 49.92
Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9G290-B, Bracket (1 pc.) 7.89
Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9J280-A, Fuel Lines (1 pc.)74.69
Ford Service Part # : W506974-S437, Screw M6x16mm (1 pc.) .55
Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9B659-B, Air Inlet Tube (1 pc.) N/A using STEEDA BOSS 302 cold air intake

Mustang Boss 302 Intake Installation Kit (11-14) GT 5.0L at LRS - Free Shipping!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Do it! Car pulls really hard above 5k. It's not a lot more peak HP, but look at a stock graph and a graph with a BOSS IM. The stock car starts dying off where as the BOSS IM keeps pulling.

D.T.R

Established Member
I wonder if the boss 302 manifold performs as good on automatic transmission car, with stock gear and just a stall.
I will be getting the manifold regardless due to the twins, but I was wondering if I should put it on for a couple of months before I take the car apart.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I wonder if the boss 302 manifold performs as good on automatic transmission car, with stock gear and just a stall.
I will be getting the manifold regardless due to the twins, but I was wondering if I should put it on for a couple of months before I take the car apart.

If you can... I would.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Auto car with stock gears, it takes forever to get it in the 6500+ rpm range.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Don't. You'll make more usable power on the street with the stock manifold. The Boss intake is a waste on anything but an 8000 RPM track car. So is a throttle body, you're looking at like 3 horsepower tops.

I agree.

I think it comes down to how mods you have done. The less mods you have, the less you can take advantage of the intake. I'm not sure what is everyone's obsession with spinning these motors to 8Krpms is just because "it can". I'm sure part of it is everyone's obsession with roll racing rather than dig racing these days too. lol

The torque loss is very noticeable on minimal modded cars. A friend of mine with the same mods at the time but had the Boss intake made 375tq and I made 412tq. It was VERY noticeable at the track were I was yanking him hard in every gear.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
anyone have this dyno graph on equally modded cars. one with mani and other without?

corysmach1

Established Member
I agree.

I think it comes down to how mods you have done. The less mods you have, the less you can take advantage of the intake. I'm not sure what is everyone's obsession with spinning these motors to 8Krpms is just because "it can". I'm sure part of it is everyone's obsession with roll racing rather than dig racing these days too. lol

The torque loss is very noticeable on minimal modded cars. A friend of mine with the same mods at the time but had the Boss intake made 375tq and I made 412tq. It was VERY noticeable at the track were I was yanking him hard in every gear.

What does your car run? Whats his hp number vs yours? My buddies car makes 432/379 and it runs extremely hard with his Boss intake. If my car runs half as good as his i will be thrilled!!

D.T.R

Established Member
I have the Boss IM, stock converter and stock 3.15 gears....works well, best times in sig.

I'm sold. :rolling:

I'll have a boss 302 manifold, circle D converter and the O/R midpipe here waiting for when the car arrives to the dealership for me to pick it up :banana:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
anyone have this dyno graph on equally modded cars. one with mani and other without?

I do, but not on this computer.

What does your car run? Whats his hp number vs yours? My buddies car makes 432/379 and it runs extremely hard with his Boss intake. If my car runs half as good as his i will be thrilled!!

I've only been to the track once. At the time, he made 425/375 and I made 416/412. On every gear change I was pulling him hard. I ran some 7.9's in the 1/8th, but I missed 4th gear every time so I never got a clean 1/4 run(stock shifter FTL), but my best ET was a 12.55 coasting through the traps. He never broke into the 7s in the 1/8th, he hit all the gears and best run was a 12.52. It was a crappy night for racing anyways with the on and off misting and cold as hell.

In short, it's a close race still it's up to each owner if the intake is worth the money or not. Personally I'm not wasting the money on it because I plan on going with the Roush TVS if I keep the car.

D.T.R

Established Member
I do, but not on this computer.

I've only been to the track once. At the time, he made 425/375 and I made 416/412. On every gear change I was pulling him hard. I ran some 7.9's in the 1/8th, but I missed 4th gear every time so I never got a clean 1/4 run(stock shifter FTL), but my best ET was a 12.55 coasting through the traps. He never broke into the 7s in the 1/8th, he hit all the gears and best run was a 12.52. It was a crappy night for racing anyways with the on and off misting and cold as hell.

In short, it's a close race still it's up to each owner if the intake is worth the money or not. Personally I'm not wasting the money on it because I plan on going with the Roush TVS if I keep the car.

that could have been driver mod for all we know though...
I have seen a couple of local 5.0s pick up whp and ET with the boss302.. but they are manual trans.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I never go to the track and do mostly rolls, so for what I do it's a win win. Frome a 40 roll, I'm already in my powerband where the BOSS IM starts proving its worth. Even better from a 50 roll. With 3.31 gears I'm at exactly 5k from a 50 and 4k from a 40 roll. But I've seen people get really good times with the BOSS IM at the track. Some are in the 11's

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm sold. :rolling:

I'll have a boss 302 manifold, circle D converter and the O/R midpipe here waiting for when the car arrives to the dealership for me to pick it up :banana:

I'm sure the benefits of a Boss manifold will amplify with the twin turbo setup, especially spinning the engine up to 7500 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread