Should I Be Getting the Boss Manifold?

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Ok, I'm driving myself CRAZY trying to figure out if I should purchase the Boss 302 Manifold. I was about to click the Checkout button and started to wonder if I should get it.

The way I look at it, the Intake would finish my car off nicely. The only thing I don't like is splicing wires even after purchasing the install kit. I've seen the $10 kit, but I really want to keep everything as high-end as possible. The car only has 5K miles on it! lol

Somebody tell me why I should/shouldn't get the Intake.

Thanks!:poke:

S1N1ST3R

Established Member
Had it on my black 2011 gt/cs looks great with blue coil covers and with a steeda intake. i had that set up with headers and put down 436 or so to the rear with a tune. Sounds good and yes their is a couple wires you have to splice but just buy some of that wire holder tube stuff (lol tired andd cant think of the name lol) you sacrific torque up top but damn did it look good. hope this helped a little.

SCalla1384

Established Member
With 3.73's definitely. Your car will benefit big time from it. I know the low end loss in torque sucks, but after 1st gear your in your fat part of your powerband the whole time.

You can always splice, solder, and shrink tube wires yourself. Then wrap them in that loom shit. It'll look factory, and no one would even be able to tell.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I LOVE my BOSS manifold, very good mod. I used the $10 install kit and didn't have to splice any wires, your wasting money if you buy the $150 dollar kit, its not worth it.

Ratchet

Established Member
I LOVE my BOSS manifold, very good mod. I used the $10 install kit and didn't have to splice any wires, your wasting money if you buy the $150 dollar kit, its not worth it.

Agreed, I just got a couple clamps and the hose and made a bracket at work so it's not just hanging there. I would probably say I love it, but i haven't gone WOT yet... Does look pretty awesome in there tho. :beer:

Mrplow

Established Member
I also would like to install one on my '11 GT. There is a local ad that a guy has one new in box with install kit for $550. Figured that sounds like a pretty good deal and I better go get it. After reading this though, I better have him clarify if it is the cheap kit or the $150 install kit.
Also, and most importantly, does the factory "GT" strut tower brace still fit over the BOSS intake??? And what are your thoughts of reusing the factory TB? OR should I plan this install in combination with a Accufab 90mm TB?

mycroft

Established Member
Don't. You'll make more usable power on the street with the stock manifold. The Boss intake is a waste on anything but an 8000 RPM track car. So is a throttle body, you're looking at like 3 horsepower tops.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Thanks for the replys!

I agree it looks great, but I want the most out of this motor before going with a S/C.

Now, I've read up on the $10 install kit and I had seen something talking about relocating the purge valve causing a check engine light.

I've also read that the power created by the intake is made after 5000rpm's, which is fine with me. I'm smoking the tires in first anyway, and as stated before, with my 3.73's I'm always in the thick of the powerband. I want to know who's running over 8,000rpm's! :eek:

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
The new cobra jet intake is a lot better than the boss from what I've heard.

Jsmorley81

Established Member
I put one on my 11 gt 5.0. It makes a world of difference if you have some mods to go with it. Gears, intake, etc. I did not order a install kit at all. All you have to do is go to your local auto parts store and buy about 2.5 ft of 3/8 rubber hose and two hose clamps. Just extend the valve hose to the other side of intake. Then take a small metric bolt with some washers and attach it to the block between the intake and your block. It is very simple to do and only takes about 2 hours to install. There is a very detailed right up on the installation with step by step procedure on mustangevolution.com
If you get the intake you will not have any regrets. I promise it was one of the best mods that I've put on my stang. And I've done a lot to it. Best bang for the buck. With the added tune of course. It will not run right without the updated tune.

burke985

Established Member
TB is a waste of money and I found out on back to back dyno runs of my car and my brothers. You gain nothing with a TB with these cars. The boss intake is a nice upgrade especially if you have 3.73's they work well with each other. Get the 10 dollar kit your wasting more money if you buy the other . I lost 10wtq with the Boss over the stock manifold and its not enough to feel any difference especially with the 3.73

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
TB is a waste of money and I found out on back to back dyno runs of my car and my brothers. You gain nothing with a TB with these cars. The boss intake is a nice upgrade especially if you have 3.73's they work well with each other. Get the 10 dollar kit your wasting more money if you buy the other . I lost 10wtq with the Boss over the stock manifold and its not enough to feel any difference especially with the 3.73

Thanks!

Well, if the TB doesn't make any difference, I'll be sending that back. And after some extra research I've been doing, I think the Intake will be ordered in a few hours.

burke985

Established Member
Thanks!

Well, if the TB doesn't make any difference, I'll be sending that back. And after some extra research I've been doing, I think the Intake will be ordered in a few hours.

My car with the stock TB actually made 3 more hp than his and our cars are setup exactly the same

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
My car with the stock TB actually made 3 more hp than his and our cars are setup exactly the same

Hmm, go figure. I could see that though. You could have a 100mm TB but if the car isn't using it, what's the point. I guess I was going off of the 10-15hp gain that was stated.

Oh well, 302 Intake it is. Now, where'd I put that debit card? :burnout:

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Just wanted to say thank you for all of the help!

I have the Boss 302 Intake and a Barton SS on the way!

Using the "Non-Ford" install kit. ;-)

byeofcr

Established Member
I used a piece of flat stock as a bracket. Vised it and twisted it to mount the purge valve flat under the TB. No CEL added maybe 10 minutes to the total install (mostly due to drilling metal with a shit cordless drill)
C45CE3FC-E063-4318-8A12-03F51CE3A2D4-3335-000002939F5B4973.jpg

Mine also had one of the nipples break off from shipping had to run to lowes to get a brass fitting..
7A0B0F7A-8797-4F5C-BDA2-A5A631D17D7F-3098-00000278BDBA9D2B.jpg

817B8226-2943-4C6C-B30F-3561C8EE4974-3098-00000283A2B8595B.jpg

I love this mod. The tq loss is negligible i thought it was gunna be super drastic but it isnt.. On the flip side it isnt the "like a hit of nitrous!" Some say it is.. It pulls harder up top but its not that over the top.
Do it.. Dont look back

Last edited by a moderator:

BREMBO12

Established Member
I used a piece of flat stock as a bracket. Vised it and twisted it to mount the purge valve flat under the TB. No CEL added maybe 10 minutes to the total install (mostly due to drilling metal with a shit cordless drill)
C45CE3FC-E063-4318-8A12-03F51CE3A2D4-3335-000002939F5B4973.jpg

Mine also had one of the nipples break off from shipping had to run to lowes to get a brass fitting..
7A0B0F7A-8797-4F5C-BDA2-A5A631D17D7F-3098-00000278BDBA9D2B.jpg

817B8226-2943-4C6C-B30F-3561C8EE4974-3098-00000283A2B8595B.jpg

I love this mod. The tq loss is negligible i thought it was gunna be super drastic but it isnt.. On the flip side it isnt the "like a hit of nitrous!" Some say it is.. It pulls harder up top but its not that over the top.
Do it.. Dont look back

thanks for the write up....to hell with the naysayers...... :rockon:

BREMBO12

Established Member

What part number are you guys referring to? 10.00 dollar what? Thanks... :beer:

Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9G297-A, Hose (1 pc.) 49.92
Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9G290-B, Bracket (1 pc.) 7.89
Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9J280-A, Fuel Lines (1 pc.)74.69
Ford Service Part # : W506974-S437, Screw M6x16mm (1 pc.) .55
Ford Service Part # : CR3Z-9B659-B, Air Inlet Tube (1 pc.) N/A using STEEDA BOSS 302 cold air intake

Users who are viewing this thread