Short shift thrower install cost

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
So my local shop just gave me a quote on a MGW with install, lately they seem high in costs compared to other shops I have talked to, they quoted me 1005.00 and that’s if I pay cash. Opinions? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
So my local shop just gave me a quote on a MGW with install, lately they seem high in costs compared to other shops I have talked to, they quoted me 1005.00 and that’s if I pay cash. Opinions? Thanks

Shifter is 400.00+ Mechanics hourly rate range is 85.00 - 125.00 depends where you go. With a lift 4-5 hours to install. Imo it's a little high.

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
So $600 to install a $400 shifter? What's their shop rate? $100 per hour, so four hours of labor? They have a lift, should be able to knock it out under 2 hours. I'd look elsewhere.

131.00 a hr originally back in Dec they quoted me 200, I told them that today and they said that was incorrect that they made a error, I’ve given this place alot of money since I got the car so I’m not happy

enormous

Established Member
Back in the day about 7 years ago I was quoted $500.00 cdn to install my supplied Barton shifter. To much me thinks....

So, I did some research and went to my local Rent a Bay with several lifts that also supplied tools for $35 hr.

I brought a friend to assist because I'm not a mechanic , just a factory worker with common sense.
With my friend looking over my shoulder my first time shifter install took 1hr 35min. I suppose I could do it in one hour if I had to do it again with the experience I gained the first time.

I would expect an experienced mechanic to do the job faster the way I see it.

On vacation in Vegas on year earlier I talked to the mechanic at SHELBY during my tour who gave ne a quick walk through regarding the shifter swap. He installs shifters in 30 to 35 min day in day out he said.

Hope that helps.

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
Back in the day about 7 years ago I was quoted $500.00 cdn to install my supplied Barton shifter. To much me thinks....

So, I did some research and went to my local Rent a Bay with several lifts that also supplied tools for $35 hr.

I brought a friend to assist because I'm not a mechanic , just a factory worker with common sense.
With my friend looking over my shoulder my first time shifter install took 1hr 35min. I suppose I could do it in one hour if I had to do it again with the experience I gained the first time.

On vacation in Vegas on year earlier I talked to the mechanic at SHELBY during my tour who gave ne a quick walk through regarding the shifter swap. He installs shifters in 30 to 35 min day in day out he said.

Hope that helps.

Thanks much!

SCALILOU

Established Member
It's not difficult to do with Jack stands even, just a little time consuming. Put on some classic rock, and grab a few beers. Barton, MGW all have YouTube install videos. It will be a good learning experience and simple to do, not many parts involved and can be done with simple hand tools.

Best part? No labor cost! AND did I mention beer?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Hope that helps.
This is really the best way to do it, IF you can find a rental lift. And a friend to help is really smart. That's what I did when I installed a ported Eaton on my old '03 Cobra. I could have done it myself without a hassle, but haven't an extra set of eyes and hands was an asset. The banter back and forth made the work more fun.

enormous

Established Member
There isn't anything hard about the shifter install but the trickiest part for me was flipping up the R and L side attachment levers which has to be done by feel because you can't get a visual.
Kinda need fingers like a raccoon the way I see it.

MG0h3

Established Member
I thought you could do a standard T56 all from the top? What do you need to get under the car for?

The magnum has a six bolt shifter and the only way to get to the front two is to lower the tail shaft of the trans which requires unhooking the car back and dropping the trans crossmember.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
2hr shop time with a lift. Maybe 3hr time if DIY with a lift. Closer to 5hr DIY on your back. :) Basic tools needed and your time. Lots of I depth YouTube videos step x step instructions.

Ft Mill, SC....place called Pro Dyno
I'm originally from Wisconsin. Get out while you can. The south east likes car folks
Midwest is tough enough with winter let alone good shops :( there’s stuff I’d do myself (rather not) because of this void here.
Paul can knock out an MGW install while the customer grabs lunch.
Boss status

bg302

Established Member
I did an MGW on a lift on my 2010 in about 2 hours. Could probably do it in an hour now. it's doable on jack stands but may take a little longer. Basic hand tools are all that's needed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@bg302, if will definitely take a lot longer if the car is on jack stands vs. being on a lift, especially if it's the first time he's done it.

Users who are viewing this thread