Shop upgrades.

olympic

Established Member
Finally tackling some shop projects this summer. First on the list was A/C! The building is well insulated but it still gets uncomfortably warm and humid to work inside during the 2 weeks of summer we get up here...lol! I picked up at 2 ton Senville mini-split because A) I have radiant heat and not a central furnace and B) it was cheap and easy to install, I even did the electrical myself. It comes pre-charged with refrigerant so you just have to pull a vacuum to remove the air, open the valves and it's good to go. So far I'm impressed, it's very quiet and can bring the shop down to a comfortable level in about an hour. (3000sq ft and 17' ceilings). It's Wi-fi enabled so I can pre-cool the building before I arrive, if needed. I'll be installing a canopy shortly to keep the sun/rain/snow off of it.

20230810_162044.jpg

The indoor unit.

20230810_162352.jpg

Next up was some security cameras! My shop is a few blocks from my house so I needed a way to keep an eye on it. I bought a Reolink camera system with 4K dome cameras and a DVR. The image quality is amazing and the software is very good as well. It's smart enough to recognize people, cars and animals and I get a notification on my phone if someone walks/drives on the property. Areas like the street, sidewalk, alley etc can be excluded so I don't get false alarms. There are 4 cameras covering the property and the 2TB DVR can store footage for about 8 days. Everything including the router is on a UPS so it can stay running during a power outage.

20230810_162243.jpg

20230810_162138.jpg

Put up a shop TV. Usually just play the security cameras on it cause I prefer to listen to music while working.

20230810_163228.jpg

I have no phone line to the building so I bought a 4G LTE wireless router. It shares data with my cell plan so it basically costs nothing. Since the building is steel and blocks most wireless signals I had to use an external antenna on the roof to pull in a signal. The antenna cable isn't very long so the router had to be mounted half way up the wall..lol.

20230810_163848.jpg

Anyone who has ever owned a cheap parts washer knows the pond pump they put in them doesn't last very long. I decided to repair/upgrade mine with some parts and ideas borrowed from computer water cooling. I have a few Liang D5 pumps laying around so I tossed one into the solvent for a couple days to see if it would survive. The plastic housing came out unscathed but the O-ring swelled up so I bought a chemical resistant replacement on Amazon. The power supply is a standard computer unit and I just use the built-in switch to turn the pump on and off.

20230810_162758.jpg

The filter mount takes the same filters as my Cobra and has a valve on the inlet to make filter changes less messy. The tubing is 3/8" fuel hose. I added a drain with a ball valve to make draining the tank much easier. I still need to track down a few pails of low odor varsol to fill it.

20230810_162825.jpg

The inside remains basically unchanged.

20230810_162944.jpg

The pickup is inside the original pump housing which has a built in strainer. All of the brass fittings I purchased on Amazon.

20230810_163002.jpg

Last edited:

olympic

Established Member
I've had my old Iron Horse 5hp, 11cfm air compressor forever and it's never given me any problems but it struggles to keep up when I use my sandblasting cabinet. As always I prefer the DIY route when upgrading so I shopped around and caught a sale on a Rolair 2-stage 25cfm compressor head from a local store and a 7.5hp 230v motor from Amazon.

20230810_162430.jpg

I also wanted to add an after-cooler because my tank would get really hot during extended use. For that I bought an oil cooler with a fan and -10AN fittings. Everything was plumbed together with -10AN fittings and braided stainless hose I had laying around from other projects. Also pictured is the magnetic starter I added.

20230810_162445.jpg

20230810_162613.jpg

3 stage filter/dryer with regulator

20230810_162515.jpg

Added an easily accessible drain for tank moisture and some wheels to make moving the compressor easier for cleaning and servicing.

20230810_163329.jpg

New pump vs old size comparison.

20230706_180555.jpg

This last project isn't really an upgrade but it'll save a bunch of money! I got tired of paying the city $150/month for a water connection just to wash my hands and flush the toilet a few times per month. Purchased a 120V pressure pump on Amazon and plumbed it to a 50 gallon plastic barrel. Connected the supply line for the building to the pump and it's done. Works perfect, turns on and off automatically whenever I open a tap, even used it with the pressure washer, no problem! When I need more water, I just haul a few 5 gallon jugs from my house and refill it.

20230810_163058.jpg

20230810_163112.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Finally tackling some shop projects this summer. First on the list was A/C! The building is well insulated but it still gets uncomfortably warm and humid to work inside during the 2 weeks of summer we get up here...lol! I picked up at 2 ton Senville mini-split because A) I have radiant heat and not a central furnace and B) it was cheap and easy to install, I even did the electrical myself. It comes pre-charged with refrigerant so you just have to pull a vacuum to remove the air, open the valves and it's good to go. So far I'm impressed, it's very quiet and can bring the shop down to a comfortable level in about an hour. (3000sq ft and 17' ceilings). It's Wi-fi enabled so I can pre-cool the building before I arrive, if needed. I'll be installing a canopy shortly to keep the sun/rain/snow off of it.

View attachment 1804896

The indoor unit.

View attachment 1804897

Next up was some security cameras! My shop is a few blocks from my house so I needed a way to keep an eye on it. I bought a Reolink camera system with 4K dome cameras and a DVR. The image quality is amazing and the software is very good as well. It's smart enough to recognize people, cars and animals and I get a notification on my phone if someone walks/drives on the property. Areas like the street, sidewalk, alley etc can be excluded so I don't get false alarms. There are 4 cameras covering the property and the 2TB DVR can store footage for about 8 days. Everything including the router is on a UPS so it can stay running during a power outage.

View attachment 1804899

View attachment 1804898

Put up a shop TV. Usually just play the security cameras on it cause I prefer to listen to music while working.

View attachment 1804900

I have no phone line to the building so I bought a 4G LTE wireless router. It shares data with my cell plan so it basically costs nothing. Since the building is steel and blocks most wireless signals I had to use an external antenna on the roof to pull in a signal. The antenna cable isn't very long so the router had to be mounted half way up the wall..lol.

View attachment 1804901

Anyone who has ever owned a cheap parts washer knows the pond pump they put in them doesn't last very long. I decided to repair/upgrade mine with some parts and ideas borrowed from computer water cooling. I have a few Liang D5 pumps laying around so I tossed one into the solvent for a couple days to see if it would survive. The plastic housing came out unscathed but the O-ring swelled up so I bought a chemical resistant replacement on Amazon. The power supply is a standard computer unit and I just use the built-in switch to turn the pump on and off.

View attachment 1804902

The filter mount takes the same filters as my Cobra and has a valve on the inlet to make filter changes less messy. The tubing is 3/8" fuel hose. I added a drain with a ball valve to make draining the tank much easier. I still need to track down a few pails of low odor varsol to fill it.

View attachment 1804903

The inside remains basically unchanged.

View attachment 1804904

The pickup is inside the original pump housing which has a built in strainer. All of the brass fittings I purchased on Amazon.

View attachment 1804905
I've had my old Iron Horse 5hp, 11cfm air compressor forever and it's never given me any problems but it struggles to keep up when I use my sandblasting cabinet. As always I prefer the DIY route when upgrading so I shopped around and caught a sale on a Rolair 2-stage 25cfm compressor head from a local store and a 7.5hp 230v motor from Amazon.

View attachment 1804911

I also wanted to add an after-cooler because my tank would get really hot during extended use. For that I bought an oil cooler with a fan and -10AN fittings. Everything was plumbed together with -10AN fittings and braided stainless hose I had laying around from other projects. Also pictured is the magnetic starter I added.

View attachment 1804907

View attachment 1804909

3 stage filter/dryer with regulator

View attachment 1804908

Added an easily accessible drain for tank moisture and some wheels to make moving the compressor easier for cleaning and servicing.

View attachment 1804910

New pump vs old size comparison.

View attachment 1804906

This last project isn't really an upgrade but it'll save a bunch of money! I got tired of paying the city $150/month for a water connection just to wash my hands and flush the toilet a few times per month. Purchased a 120V pressure pump on Amazon and plumbed it to a 50 gallon plastic barrel. Connected the supply line for the building to the pump and it's done. Works perfect, turns on and off automatically whenever I open a tap, even used it with the pressure washer, no problem! When I need more water, I just haul a few 5 gallon jugs from my house and refill it.

View attachment 1804912

View attachment 1804913
Well done DIY work, sir! You saved a lot of cash doing all the upgrades yourself. Nifty! (y)

Users who are viewing this thread