Shop quote trippled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach1033

Established Member
Who did you use, and how was the motor $14,000!?!?

Kogan motorsports. The motor build cost me 11k. Then while on the dyno the timing chain snapped. So I had to have my motor removed and sent back to him for repair which he did. Then I go back on the dyno and the motor fails again. He doesn't really have a clue as to what he is doing. So now I have to have it removed again to bring it to someone else for another rebuild. So with labor of removal, tolls which added up quick, fuel for my truck and trailer it cost me another 3k. I paid for all new rotating assembly, billet gear oil pump,stage 3 ported heads, custom cams, all arp hardware, black wrinke powder coated valve covers and timing cover. He also jet coated my headers.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I'd kind of like to hear the shops point of view as well. For all we know he agreed to some of said work (not all) and he is not telling us. There have been cases of this where the OP (not this thread) has not given all of the information.

Pretty sure the OP stated in this thread that he "ok'd" a $2,000 increase over the original estimate.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Update!

UPDATE!
Sat down with the shop owner today and my legal counsel.

As it stands now, the owner is unwilling to budge and I will be taking this to legal mediation. He does this while admitting wrongful work was done on the car, that the engine had been in and out 5 times and that the mechanic who worked on the car was laid off after the job. He also mentioned that I COULD have had custom headers made for $2500 and that the "extra" work done on the vehicle was to modify mine to fit, using mild steel.

I am going to stop posting on here until things are resolved and will follow through with the final verdict after mediation. I will not disclose the shop name as of yet, as again I am waiting to see how things turn out and whether or not they do the right thing.

I strongly suggest that if you're planning on having work done on your vehicle to only continue to go to shops you know and trust and get everything in writing, as I have, before the job begins. Document everything.

Kind regards all,

Wish me luck.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Pretty sure the OP stated in this thread that he "ok'd" a $2,000 increase over the original estimate.

"THEY SAID IF THEY NEEDED TO REMAKE AN ENTIRE SIDE OF THE HEADERS it would be 1K dollars. I didn't have an answer for them, as they claimed they didn't even want to do that. I told them I would consider my options and get in touch with them. I called to speak with the owner and found out WITHOUT ANYTHING IN WRITING, they started the next day."

From a few pages back. IN NO WAY DID I OK ANYTHING.

They took it upon themselves to spend my money. Besides that they re-made ONLY SECTIONS of 3-4 Primaries.

Last edited:

wildman97

Established Member
Well that's some good looking out for your fellow SVTP members SVtmonster! You're getting ****ed real good and you still won't post this shops name? Do you really think they will do the right thing? NO! Good luck with your car and in the meantime another Member here could possibly be getting ****ed just like you.

96 cobra

Established Member
Well that's some good looking out for your fellow SVTP members SVtmonster! You're getting ****ed real good and you still won't post this shops name? Do you really think they will do the right thing? NO! Good luck with your car and in the meantime another Member here could possibly be getting ****ed just like you.

:nonono:

He's stated multiple times "I will not disclose the shop name as of yet, as again I am waiting to see how things turn out and whether or not they do the right thing" ...

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Good luck, the shop owner has no case whatsoever, so this should be a fairly quick matter for the courts to resolve.

That shop and shop owner sound extremely disorganized and desperate if hes laying off employees and doing this to customers. Make sure you factor in your legal costs and time your spending on this in your claim, make this jagoff pay for that too.

ademily87

Established Member
Don't forget to make him pay you for wasted time as well. Time is money.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

wildman97

Established Member
:nonono:

He's stated multiple times "I will not disclose the shop name as of yet, as again I am waiting to see how things turn out and whether or not they do the right thing" ...

:??: I agree that he has stated that many times. Here is a quote from him just incase you missed it..."the owner is unwilling to budge and I will be taking this to legal mediation" I think this says it's time to let the cat outta the bag. This will do two things, 1. Let others know DON'T use this shop. 2. Get other members that have been screwed by this place to join in and help his legal case. :beer:

OneManWolfpack

Established Member

For real, get the **** out of here. You live in Commifornia, not NY. I can see how it would pertain to people that live in and/or around in NY, but it doesn't pertain to you.

Soo, gtfo. :beer: :lol1:

wildman97

Established Member
^^^ Your're right i dont live in NY! but there are Members that do smart ass! So **** them too right?

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
^^^ Your're right i dont live in NY! but there are Members that do smart ass! So **** them too right?

If you reread my post, I said I realize that there are people that may/may not live in NY that could use the shop. But for the OP's sake, I can see why he would not want to name the shop.

He said he's not going to until the matter is over with; end of story.

MGC

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/889401-question-about-engine-swap-price.html

Swapping a 5.4 based 4V in my Cobra. Doing a complete fuel system. Have a new K member and tranny going in with the new engine.

Originally quoted 1400 for the engine install and 600 to install the fuel system. Cool.
$2000 for the swap plus the tune

Dropped off my car and most of my parts. Price has changed. ~$5000 for the swap with the $500 tune. :fm:

I am being charged: (as per the quick books file I was shown),
1. To install the new engine. $2400
2. To install the tranny. $600
3. To bolt on my intake, timing cover, valve covers and front accessories. $400
4. To install the fuel system. $700
5. To install the K member. $300
6. For the tune $500.00
7. For shop towels, Wd-40, anti-seize, and lubricant $50
8. Fill the engine with oil $80
9. Oil change after the dyno $120

No work has been done. Should I pull my car?!

Couple quick notes:

My k member was made for me specifically for this swap. My engine is dropped a 1/2 inch and as such there are no clearance issues and i've made this swap easier.

My K member is already assembled with a-arms.

My old setup is being removed as engine/tranny/kmember and is never being dissembled. I plan to sell it that way. Isn't this shop saving a lot of time not having to swap K members,

My engine is practically complete said for covers and bolting on the accessory drive.

My fuel system is a complete setup from glenns performance with every bag/fitting/piece labeled and ready to rock. No guess work and my lines are already the right length.

My engine is being dropped as; engine/k-member/tranny and staying together. Isn't the shop saving a ton of time by just bolting on my new parts and not having to remove my engine from it's K member and tranny?

Also I forgot to mention this very IMPORTANT detail. When I came to the shop the owner kept asking about a buddies car. He was doing a 5.4 swap as well and was planning on maybe using this shop, although the owner didn't have a place for him until my car was done.

So he keeps asking "So whens your buddy doing his car?". My response "I am not certain". And he keeps asking about his car at what seemed like a ploy to pry information out of me. So the conversation ends and I ask to see my invoice so I can approve it, give a deposit and get things moving. He pulls up the quickbooks file and says "Ok, This is the price BECAUSE I ALREADY KNOW YOUR BUDDY WENT TO (insert shop here), so I changed the labor rate from $95 an hour to $115-125 an hour." IN OTHER WORDS, HE HAD PREPARED THIS INVOICE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF A FRIEND OF MINE GETTING WORK DONE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

So let me get this straight. A buddy of mine, not my brother, no a family member or girlfriend, whatever, didn't choose his shop and he is taking it out on me?

Then says "I was giving a deal because you were bringing me work, and I was expecting to do both cars."

...There was no agreement and who am I to tell my buddy where to go?

So is this the same shop you asked about 4 months ago and everyone told you to stay away from?

MGC

Established Member
I understand maybe a whack or two to make the headers clear the steering shaft... but there are dents on every single primary, two of them being almost crushed in completely. There are also gouges in the metal and although I have yet to blow some air though, I am almost certain air will evacuate from them. :nonono:

It looks like, as some have said earlier, that the car was in an accident and this guy parted out the car in hopes to recoup some money. I think he felt that by selling them for so cheap, he would get a buyer who would be okay with a pair of beat to crap headers. Although, the issue, is that this guy didn't do the research on the price. If he had, he would have seen that the SHM headers have sold on several forums prior, for between 400-600 dollars. Making his price in the ballpark of other shm headers that were in great shape, albeit VERY old (10+ years). All of these headers, I am sure, have tons of cosmetic issues, they're old. Some may even have a dent or two... However, these... I assure you, are scrap metal. I couldn't even fit a finger between where they are crushed the worst. :fm:

If anything, I was sold a blue print. I can take these to someone who can look at the bends and welds and fab me up a new set. It WILL COST ME a ton...but what other option do I have. Oh that's right. Off the shelf Kooks or ARH with a little finessing of the primary by the steering shaft. :beer:

It's not even worth sectioning parts out. Almost every single section of each primary has damage. :nonono:

For Sale Long Tube 4.6 SHM headers(coated) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

AND GOT THIS

20120916_132659.jpg

20120916_132648.jpg

20120916_132631-1.jpg

20120916_154007.jpg

and the box for reference:
20120916_135643.jpg

shows no signs of exterior damage...

HIS response...
Capture23.png

Hmmm read that thread again...
"SHM step headers 1.750 to 1.875 with locking header bolts(jet coated) they have 3" collectors."
NO mention of damage... and bolts weren't included? Really?

I AM PISSED!

Should I be?:beer:

Were they these headers? I'm just trying to understand, hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread