Shop/Auto Vacuum Recommendations

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I am looking for a good multi role vacuum for the garage.

I need something to do interior detailing on the vehicles, handle sucking up shit when I take the Mach 1 down to metal on the interior, and can clean up around the garage.

I’d like to not get to crazy price wise but if that is the only way to get what I want, I will.

So, thoughts/THOTs?

Does two women scissoring sound like an armpit farting contest?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have this one which might fall short of all your needs. But it does a great job and is portable and battery operated.

This is a hardcore one and we use these at work....at Bosch.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had my 16 gal Craftsman for 20 years or so. Been a good unit. Used it both wet and dry. What ever unit you get make sure you get filter made for water.

Blown 89

Established Member
I had the biggest Rigid shop vac that home depot sold and was happy with it. In for recommendations for professional quality vacs though.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Ridged with the HEPA inner filter and bag filter is the best bang for the buck. Likely to big for detail work. I have three different Milwaukee vacs that are ideal for that kind of work. Plus you can get detail attachments for the Milwaukee. If money is no object get a Festool I've had one that's probably nearing 20 years old, and works fantastic HEpA also. HEPA IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I've had my 16 gal Craftsman for 20 years or so. Been a good unit. Used it both wet and dry. What ever unit you get make sure you get filter made for water.
I think mine might be at least 35 years old. It's been put into pellet grill service. I now have a cheap stanley for the vehicles.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Ridged with the HEPA inner filter and bag filter is the best bang for the buck. Likely to big for detail work. I have three different Milwaukee vacs that are ideal for that kind of work. Plus you can get detail attachments for the Milwaukee. If money is no object get a Festool I've had one that's probably nearing 20 years old, and works fantastic HEpA also. HEPA IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
+1 for the Rigid, had mine years, damn near bulllet proof

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I think mine might be at least 35 years old. It's been put into pellet grill service. I now have a cheap stanley for the vehicles.
Got it in the late 90s sometime for me. It got a little re fresh a few years ago. Was missing some attachments. Went to Sears and scrounged up some new hoses and attachments. Got a few extra filters. The key is to keep the wing nut with the original style filters. Now they try to sell one that 'fits' all craftsman shopvacs. The pice of shit will fall off when you are cleaning your fireplace, and shoot the ash in your living room! Oh, uh so I hear!

And holy shit the old Craftsman are workhorses, but loud as a jet! They even make a muffler for them.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
For garage use only? Get a high quality wall mount vac w/long hose.

We've got a 22 y.o. Beam central vac that's located in the garage. So it's used for the house and garage.

It is NOT wet/dry though.

Can that catches the dust/crap snaps on the bottom. It's got a permanent filter you never replace.

Been fantastic. Located in the garage, it's run in all temps too. Summer +100F, winter -10F. We don't even think twice when we start it in the house.

Only repair I've ever done is replace the manual on/off toggle switch on the unit itself last year.

I just plug in the 25'-30' hose to vacuum the garage, vehicles, a/c unit outside the service door, etc.

An example of dedicated garage vac:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Got it in the late 90s sometime for me. It got a little re fresh a few years ago. Was missing some attachments. Went to Sears and scrounged up some new hoses and attachments. Got a few extra filters. The key is to keep the wing nut with the original style filters. Now they try to sell one that 'fits' all craftsman shopvacs. The pice of shit will fall off when you are cleaning your fireplace, and shoot the ash in your living room! Oh, uh so I hear!

And holy shit the old Craftsman are workhorses, but loud as a jet! They even make a muffler for them.
Yeah, I get the replacement filters on Amazon that use that one sided wing nut and retaining plate. Mine has a muffler, but it was all a foam like deal that has since rotted away. It's a big SOB, that's why I keep it on my lanai to vac out the pellet grill when I clean it.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have a 16 gallon ridgid that was used to suck up a lot of water and I didn't realize it. It's absolutely packed full of black mold, and being that it doesn't tuck away anywhere nicely in the garage I think I'll probably just replace it.

This guy is on my list, it's small enough to fit under the shelving, I've never actually needed a huge amount of capacity and I really like the idea of the sweeper.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Both my dad's and my shop vac's filter fell apart after it getting wet a few times. Now we just run no filter and hope for the best. It still works well cleaning vehicles. We do not use it on leather seats to the attachments potentially scratching the leather. I also recommend a long hose but the standard one is fine for us. The vac is on wheels anyway.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 16 gallon ridgid that was used to suck up a lot of water and I didn't realize it. It's absolutely packed full of black mold, and being that it doesn't tuck away anywhere nicely in the garage I think I'll probably just replace it.

This guy is on my list, it's small enough to fit under the shelving, I've never actually needed a huge amount of capacity and I really like the idea of the sweeper.

I have the 16 gallon rigid too. It does everything i need it to, but is so dang big. But after owning it for a bit now, wish I would of got something smaller like the one you suggest. Or this one with wheels.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have the 16 gallon rigid too. It does everything i need it to, but is so dang big. But after owning it for a bit now, wish I would of got something smaller like the one you suggest. Or this one with wheels.

I considered that one as well, they were on clearance at HD for like $69 a while back and I almost pulled the trigger. I have almost all ridgid power tools, and my general rule of thumb is to buy what you have batteries for.

But being that there aren't any batteries I decided to pass on that one and do some looking around at other options. Turns out I still want a ridgid, just a more expensive one lol.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I considered that one as well, they were on clearance at HD for like $69 a while back and I almost pulled the trigger. I have almost all ridgid power tools, and my general rule of thumb is to buy what you have batteries for.

But being that there aren't any batteries I decided to pass on that one and do some looking around at other options. Turns out I still want a ridgid, just a more expensive one lol.
I hear ya. I am the same way with my cordless dewalt tools and what not. But from what I hear their vacuums aren’t very good. Also when I needed the vac I wanted the best for the money, which now is overkill. But alI need now is a lot bigger garage for it. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread