Shocks advice?

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I have a '11 SVTPP that rode somewhat harsh but not too bad. Then I decided to put some Eibach Pro Kit springs and they made the car look much better. But as expected the ride is a little harsher.

I was ok with it until I rode in my buddy's slammed E46 M3 which I expected to ride rougher or the same but rode like a dream. So now I'm looking for some shocks to substantially improve the ride.

Any recommendations?

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Is your buddy using air bags? That might be why. Ford Racing sells some shocks they recommend for lowered cars. Tousley carries them on the Ford Racing Parts site. Other than that i cant see a way to improve ride without either changing springs or using bags.

11gtcs50

Established Member
Highly interested in hearing the results on whatever you decide to do! I did the pro kit on my 12' svtpp car and it rides beyond terrible. Is yours hitting the bumpstops constantly op?

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Highly interested in hearing the results on whatever you decide to do! I did the pro kit on my 12' svtpp car and it rides beyond terrible. Is yours hitting the bumpstops constantly op?

It doesn't feel like its hitting the bump stops but it is one harsh ride. I think the shocks have a lot to do with it. My buddy has a 2011 GT (5.0) and his rides awesome with the Pro Kit with the stock GT shocks, but you can tell the shocks are operating beyond the range and have accelerated their wear and they're starting to show signs.

My buddy's M3 isn't on bags, I believe he's just running some shocks valved appropriately for his springs.

I've had good luck with the Tokico 5-way on my 03 Cobra, that may be the best way on these cars too. But I would prefer going on user experiences rather than taking a stab at it. A lot of money and time can be wasted by throwing darts at a board for solutions.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have Eibach Pro Kit springs and Tokico D-Specs and couldn't be happier. They're a good, all around jack of all trades master of none, shock. Set to their firmest setting, they are pretty solid and ride just a tad harsher than factory SVTPP shocks. They are rock solid in turns and for my driving skill level when it comes to road race type driving, they are far better than me.
At full soft, they transfer weight very well and settle in descent distance down the track. The drag strip is far more my cup of tea and where my driving skills shine. If I didn't drive this car on the street, I'd probably prefer a more drag specific valving, but for a shock that is capible of firming up quite a bit, the softer end is more than adequit.
Set in the middle, the ride is sporty but comfortable and if you want it a little more cushy, you can go one turn soft from the middle and it makes a noticable difference without killing the car in the turns.

ETA: I almost forgot, you do need to either shave the bump stops down or get the shorter FRPP stops. Mine were rubbing like crazy, even on very minor bumps. I shaved the top nipple off of them and haven't had an issue. They don't hit unless I seriously bottom out the suspension and that's VERY rare.

Last edited:

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
PistolWhip is dead on with the D-specs. I did FRPP springs, likely not quite as low as you, with no issues and big improvement in handling.

Van@RevanRacing

D-Specs are hard to find new. I just got one set from a distibutor and they will all be gone soon. Some legal crap with Tokico and their NA distributor agreement.

If you can find them get them if it is what you want.

NotaHybrid

Established Member
I've got Koni yellows on bmr springs rides softer than stock when I want and pretty dang stiff when I want. The Koni str-t's are just like the yellows on full soft, but are not adjustable. I've heard good things about the d-specs as well.

shelby2

Established Member
Got the frpp adjustable struts and shocks when I got the track pack suspension. They are amazing. Made my 09 handle like my BMW. Night and day. If I knew, I would have done when I bought my car

Users who are viewing this thread