shifts easy when full, on empty not so much

Juruense

Banned
No, there is no way the two things could be related. Change your trans fluid to Mobil1 Synthetic ATF.

Do you have stock shifter, quad, adjuster?

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Come on guys, don't bash him. He's asking a weird question, but it's a legitimate question.

Original poster, I don't think a lot of us have ever payed that much attention to how the car shifts based on how much gas we have in the tank. My only suggestion would be to change the tranny fluid like Kilgore Trout said. Don't know If that would solve your problem, but It's a start.

razzle

Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
Come on guys, don't bash him. He's asking a weird question, but it's a legitimate question.

Original poster, I don't think a lot of us have ever payed that much attention to how the car shifts based on how much gas we have in the tank. My only suggestion would be to change the tranny fluid like Kilgore Trout said. Don't know If that would solve your problem, but It's a start.

Or never drive the car. That would solve the problem of the empty tank and shifting problems. :) j/k bud.....That is bizzaro world shit going on there.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
OK, gonna try to keep an open mind on this and play the goofball scientist devil's advocate :p

have you tried adding weight to trunk (with empty tank) to approximate missing fuel weight ?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With all the quirks that have been posted here, the mind can sometimes play tricks on you. I just don't see how the two could possibly be related, but try what JB suggested. :shrug:

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
My theory is that something isnt lined up right or tight enough wonder if the pressure plate could be loose or the trany could be loose. I know the IRS is tight. Seems like the car sits much different with a full tank of gas. Rear end sticks up noticably higher when empty.

I have oversized tires on the rear and undersized tires on the front.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you had a GT or a Mach 1 I would say..... maybe...:dw:

But feel pretty confidant saying NFW that is possible on a Cobra.

And the winning reason is....

There is ZERO pinion angle change and ZERO drive shaft linear movement with the IRS cars when load is applied to the rear springs...

It will squat but the center diff and therefore the drive shaft also... do not move.

You may be seeing some intermittent clutch disengagement issues.

Users who are viewing this thread