Shifter?? Which one?

termcobra281

Established Member
Simply put which shifter for my t56 a hurst, or mgm? I am considering a hurst because I seen 'that dude in blue" drive a cobra with the hurst and said he loved it and that it put you in a good spot for shifting gears.... thoughts???

SVT-04

Established Member
I've never used a Hurst shifter although I'm sure they're great ones as Hurst has been around forever. I installed a Steeda Tri-ax on my cobra last weekend and really like it. I installed one on my last mustang and loved it so I stayed with the same one for the cobra.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I have to admit that I am a Steeda fan. There are several Steeda parts on my car. I have my eye on a few more (at the rate I'm going I deserve a Steeda plaque and registration), but I cannot part with the quality that MGW offers though. It is truly impressive.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Since you're a Steeda fan as am I have you ever researched the Tri-Ax?

I have. I could be biased a bit because George (MGW) is in my back yard. However, I love the ease of interchanging handles, and the option to position the shifter in just about any way I want.

While I was on a hunt for my 02 GT I drove a lot of cars. I had the opportunity to use Barton, MGW, Steeda, and a Hurst. None of the shifters felt bad. They are all an improvement over the OEM part. I just have a personal MGW preference. Everything is machined to perfection, and MGW has yet to let me down in customer service or with their product.

Last edited:

termcobra281

Established Member
Good deal, and how does the MGM feel shifting and does it put you in a good spot so you dont have to reach so much for the gears? I am a short guy and I find myself reaching for the shifter alot...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Good deal, and how does the MGM feel shifting and does it put you in a good spot so you dont have to reach so much for the gears? I am a short guy and I find myself reaching for the shifter alot...
Since you cant seem to get MGW right, maybe you should stick with the hurst.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I think that MGW is the best I have seen. Very well designed and manufactured.

Also impressive is that the company is the only retailer - you can only purchase the product from them directly. Or at least that's my understanding. I don't believe I have ever seen them advertise either.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
MGW from an engineering standpoint is tops and is the only one with a unique design. That said, there are a lot of folks who are using Pro 5.0, TriAx, Hurst and love what they're using. I used a TriAx and loved it. I saw no reason to switch to MGW. So the bottom line is buy what you think you'll like and like what you buy. Like someone said, anything is an improvement over the stock shifter as far as crispness and reach.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
MGW makes a comfort shift lever to that allows a shorted throw, while being positioned toward you better than a conventional shaft handle.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I prefer the MGW. I have had an issue where the shifter broke. I called and they told me the wrong grade of bolt was used by accident. The bolt sheered and left me with a broken car at a track day. To get me through the rest of the weekend, I made temporary fix that destroyed the rest of the shifter (except the base). They replaced everything no questions ask, even the parts that I ruined. Goes to show every company is prone to issues, but that is the chance a company has to show their true character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Shifters are all personal preference, and one that is "Best" for one may not be the same for another.

That being said, the Hurst still rocks. Its pivot point is raised (and higher than the MGW from what I recall), so the throw is extremenly short. The center section is composite so there is virtually no noise transmitted from the tail shaft through the shifter body. Additionaly, the bias springs are a spring-inside-a-spring so you can put more bias towards one side or another. The inner boot it comes with is also another nice touch to keep it clean. Can't say enough good things about it.

With the OE handle and stainless bushings to mount it, the shifts are as crisp as can be.

Lots of details and pictures of it apart:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/drivetrain.htm#Hurst_shifter

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
There is a lot of truth in the statement, "Shifters are a personal choice".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
thanks for all the input guys.. i may just pick the coolest looking shift at this point
Don’t do this, you will likely regret it. In all seriousness the best thing to do is go to a couple car meets / shows. Look around at what other people have, explain that you are trying to decide on a short throw and politely ask if you can sit in their car to get an idea of how the shifter feels. As if you can row through the gears, and if they say ok, then be sure to put the seat back where you find it and leave the shifter in the same gear where it started. I found when I was trying to do this that a good conversation ensued, no one denied me, and a couple allowed me to do a quick test drive with them in the passenger seat. I checked out a hurst, pro5.0 and a couple others.

I settled on the pro5.0 in my 95 and by the time I bought one for my 04 MGWs were out and I bought one of those. Personally the two are my favorite shifters with the MGW have the edge in a heads up comparison

termcobra281

Established Member
Good input RDJ, wonder if I could buy one try it out a week and return it and do it over again with another company until i find the perfect one..... hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread