Shifter notchiness.

Un4Gvn

Established Member
Has anyone found a fix for the huge amount of notchiness in our shifter? I cringe shifting into second gear because it's so apparent. It reminds me of noise associated with shifting with the clutch not completely engaged.

I had hoped upgrading to the Pro 5.0 would help alleviate some of it, but it barely made any difference.

Thanks in advance for the quick reply.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Maybe it's your clutch adjustment. I say to put an aftermarket quadrant with firewall adjuster with stock cable. A poorly adjusted clutch can be problematic.

Chris C

Established Member
I have the same problem as well especially when cold. and i have the triax... I took it into ford and they gave me a new tranny but i still have the problem... also if u move the shifter into the 1st and 2nd slots slowly and move the shifter back and forth in the slot, i can feel it grind, (the clutch pedel is deppressed of course.) Im thinkin its either the triax, or something is wrong with my clutch... Ive even tried to adjust it by putting it in first and pullin up on the pedel. :shrug:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I really liked my T-45 on my 98 after I put in GM Synchromesh. It made it much smoother. I don't know if it's the same in the T-56 or not, but I will probably try it later this year.

akaeric

Established Member
You need to let them warm up a little before pulling off. My 2003 you had to floor the clutch to fully engauge the clutch the 2004 is a little more forgiving and softer. Syinthetic oil helps. I personally like to feel the it go into gear I can't stand a mushy trans.but they are a little stiff in the morning. Everybody says to get on of those firewall clutch adjusters I haven't tried one yet of course I don't need it right now I only have 500miles on the car. I feel a aprovement between last yrs. and this yrs. but it might just be the differants in the two cars or they might be using a better oil this yr. but I allways let my choke drop off before I pull out to let it warm up. The gates are real close in these trans. so they're going to be like that a lttle naturally.

Last edited:

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
I have the Pro 5.0 shifter and my clutch is very rough from first to second and sometimes into third. I have heard alot of good things about getting an aftermarket quadrant. Max. Motor Sports make one that I am going to order in a few weeks. They only run about $40.00. I hope this makes shifing easier! This is my one and only complaint about my car. I have had no other problems in 13 months.:coolman:

Last edited:

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
I agree with SnakeBit, the GM Synchromesh will work wonders with the feel of the tranny. That and a aftermarket shifter will do the trick.

Rick :beer:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
I rebuilt my T56 with a 26-spline input shaft, new TOB retainer and carbon-fiber syncro blocker rings. At the same time I replaced 2nd gear and the 1-2 syncro assembly because they were severely damaged by me forcing the tranny into 2nd while racing with a bad clutch.

At the time of the rebuild, I added a Pro-5.0 shifter, MGW handle, and filled the tranny with GM Syncromesh. Ever since that time, the syncros would not function properly in the cold weather. It got better when the tranny warmed up but still not great. This morning I switched the fluid back over to Mobil1 synthetic ATF and took it around the block. The car was ice cold and it's about 20 degrees here and guess what, the car just shifts 10X better. I tried GM Syncromesh to get smoother shifting and in my tranny it had the opposite effect.

FWIW,

MJ

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
i don't know if i sound dumb, but depressing the cluth and letting it out 3 or 4 times when starting cold, as well as cycling the gears upon startup when stopped makes it a little better. i don't know if this is just implied or not. i don't wanna sound like a rookie, but i am pressing submit nonetheless

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by FKing1
GM Syncromesh helped my 04, but, still notchy going into 2nd. Don't see how an aftermarket shifter will cure this.
Fred K.
I tried Redline MTF which didn't help at all. It made the tranny shift even worse, especially in cold weather. It certainly didn't cure my notchy shifting. I also installed an aftermarket shifter. It helped a bit, but not to the extent I had hoped for. The real problem is the tranny. And just adding new fluid or adding a shifter isn't going to totally fix the tranny issues. I personally believe the best cure is a new clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster. That seems to solve most of the issues people have with the T-56. It's on my list.

P.S. My biggest complaint with my tranny is downshifting from 5th or 4th into third gear. Most of the time it does not go into gear. The faster the engine speed the worse the problem is.

rezcobra

Established Member
Running a 5.0 shifter with a Centerforce clutch kit, new TOB rertainer sleeve, switched to aftermarket quadrant with new stock cable, a firewall adjuster, and changed the fluid to GM sychromesh and its a different car. The smoother shifting is awesome, its like now you can shift with just your fingers even 1-2. I changed everything at once so I can't say which mod made the most difference.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
now i've got SERIOUS T-56 problems

cobrabob - i was having similar problems you described while downshifting into 3rd -

well this week, something got effed up - big time - because now if i put it in 4th gear it will not come out!! i learned the hard way twice by having to stop the car and wrestle with it. also it will pop out of 3rd if i don't hold it there.

i researched it a little and the 3rd and 4th gear shift forks/rails are the same rail (?). i have been driving yesterday and today like 1-2-3-5-6

i have been wanting to get an aftermarked shifter and quadrant/adjuster, i guess i waited too long

when i bring the car in this week, i will ask if they would consider installing one when they rebuild/replace my transmission

DSG03Snake

Established Member
My 1-2 shift sucks too, with my tri-ax and with the old stock shifter, dont really want to do a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant yet because of warranty tho.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by DSG03Snake
My 1-2 shift sucks too, with my tri-ax and with the old stock shifter, dont really want to do a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant yet because of warranty tho.

I already have an aftermarket quadrant/firewall adjuster and it didn't help.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread