Shifter Experiences...

Marc

Established Member
So, I know this has been addressed many times...but, which shifter are you running on your Shelby?

I am sporting the stock one and just looking for a tighter shift.

My buddy had a Barton in his and it felt pretty tight.

I hear a lot of people running the MGW Gen I and a few out there running the new MGW Gen II.

I am looking more towards the MGW Gen II shifter right now. Looking for experiences of others out there running these type shifters. Do you run the regular MGW or Race Spec? Difference in the two? My car will be primarily on the street 90% of the time. Do you use the shorter shifter stick or the taller version? Is there in NVM noise?

Thanks in advance!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
First Gen MGW here. Regular/street bushing. (Never tried the race bushing, so can't speak to difference.) IIRC, it's set to 4 "turns." Stock height stick.

I remain happy with the "feel," which is considerably more precise than the stock/OEM unit. No discernible increase in NVH.

ThomasL

Established Member
I got the shifter bushing upgrade from Van. Less than a hundred bucks. I never miss a shift or get locked out of gears. Feels great.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Not a big fan of the MGW, I'm running the factory 13 GT500 shifter currently. I used the Steeda in my 2008 Shelby and loved it.

99VERT

Established Member
I have the MGW 1st gen with stock length stick and love it! There is more transmission noise than with the stock shifter on mine. Mostly on initial take off, after that no abnormal noises. I have the setting on 6 which is a little notchy but I like it that way. Definitely a good investment over stock!

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I have the 1 gen MGW and it's great. I'll be getting the g2 to eliminate the wobble. that's the only issue with gen 1 and stock. in gear, they will wobble. I'd prefer it to be solid.

Ablaze

Established Member
Still running stock and love it. I had a bit of 2nd nibble but changed the transmission juice and it's at 99.9% now.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Love it.

Speeda Triax Shifter, Hurst Short Shifter Stick and Knob, Rehagen Racing Shifter Shim (Stock Shim(s) Measured .4965" & .4970"...Very Tight, So Used 100 Grit to 220 Grit to 3M Fine to 3M Superfine To .4940" & .4950")

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I have been using the Revan Racing Shifter bushings front and rear on my car for the past year and I really haven't had any complaints. I haven't scratched 2nd gear and the shift feel is more precise.

Speedboosted

Established Member
For those that run Van's shifter bushings, did you get an increase in NVH in the lower rpm range?

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
For those that run Van's shifter bushings, did you get an increase in NVH in the lower rpm range?

I thought I got a bit more NVH. I really started noticing additional NVH when I swapped clutches to the twin disc Spec SS but that could mostly be related to the clutch itself.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I thought I got a bit more NVH. I really started noticing additional NVH when I swapped clutches to the twin disc Spec SS but that could mostly be related to the clutch itself.

Okay glad someone else had this...swapped to an RXT and the vibration was really bad. I actually had to take the bushings out.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Can you swap the bushings all from under the car? Or is it necessary to pop the interior console? I'm trying to avoid messing with my interior parts. I have a rattle free car for the first time ever..LOL

-Jeff

Speedboosted

Established Member
Can you swap the bushings all from under the car? Or is it necessary to pop the interior console? I'm trying to avoid messing with my interior parts. I have a rattle free car for the first time ever..LOL

-Jeff

Technically I think you could, but I took the isolator out of the handle at the same time so I had to remove it

HighVelocity

Established Member
Not a big fan of the MGW, I'm running the factory 13 GT500 shifter currently. I used the Steeda in my 2008 Shelby and loved it.

Have you even taken a look at the Gen II MGW shifter? If not, you have no idea how much better their shifter geometry is verses both stock and other aftermarket shifters. At this point in time, I believe it to be the best GT500 shifter on the market.
The Steeda looks like Chinamart stuff compared to it.

I would suggest watching MGW's in depth video on their Gen II shifter.

[video=youtube;DHXYSjOuWzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHXYSjOuWzw[/video]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread