shelby gt500 12.48@110

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
I don't mean this in a bad way, but the 1.80 60' time can easily be significantly improved on. Time to raise your launch rpm ;-) Every tenth shaved in the 60' is worth ~.15-.2 tenths at the end of the race.
Pretty amazing that heavy vert ran a 115mph trap bone stock.

Andy:

Please understand this question is coming from a road racer! I know VERY little about drag racing and don't have a huge interest either. BUT, isn't the weight of this vehicle going to have an effect on 60' times? This is the heaviest Mustang we've seen. :shrug:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Formula51

Established Member
10.5secAWDTALON said:
??? 12.48@110 with ET Streets is NO driving accomplishment in any way shape or form.

I beg to differ. 12.48@110mph in an approximately 4000lb.??? convertible is very respectable indeed. Now, this would not be the case if we were talking a 115mph trap speed like he ran with the stock tires (and on a different day if I understood him correctly).

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
10.5secAWDTALON said:
??? 12.48@110 with ET Streets is NO driving accomplishment in any way shape or form.

If you have nothing of substance to contribute, then I suggest you contribute nothing! :idea:

broeli

Established Member
A 12.48 at only 110mph is good. And yes the weight, gearing, etc. will have an effect on the 60'. A 1.8 out of a 2 ton car on stock gears is respectable :)

Fourcam330

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Andy:

Please understand this question is coming from a road racer! I know VERY little about drag racing and don't have a huge interest either. BUT, isn't the weight of this vehicle going to have an effect on 60' times? This is the heaviest Mustang we've seen. :shrug:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Yes weight does make a difference, as does gearing. However I never said the car should pull a 1.60 as someone inferred, I wholly believe a 1.70 is possible (possibly a hundredth or two lower) with a redline dump on properly heated tires at a well prepped track. I saw a bone stock Lightning (it actually had lowering shackles) pull a 1.69 on ET Streets at NRP FFW 6 years ago.
There's obviously a lot left on the table between gears/suspension and launch rpm, looking at the short time/mph vs. the stock tire passes makes me think the car definitely bogged with the ET Streets. It's a myth that a car will trap lower with slicks/ET streets than on street radials. If that happens with the swap to stickier meats then something else in the setup (ie. gearing, susp., increased launch rpm) needs to be changed to make use of the extra traction and/or not bog. A stickier tire means more actual HP applied to the pavement which will always net a higher trap.
Torque deficient/3350-3450lb N/A stock longblock 4.6 Cobras can pull 1.7X 60's with 3.27 gears and ET Streets.

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
let me get this straight. he ran 115 in a stock gt500 vert with 10+ headwind?

and this is bad how?:shrug:
because the shelby sucks. shelby = :kaboom:

:rollseyes lol

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
let me get this straight. he ran 115 in a stock gt500 vert with 10+ headwind?

and this is bad how?:shrug:

I dont think anyone was saying it was "bad" other than that Diamond star Talon guy.

Note to others..
My cars in the past have always trapped a little lower with ET streets on. You can typically expect about 1 mph less than running radials in my experience....
Yes its more average hp applied, but its also greater rolling resistance at the top of the track (this is part of the reason why people run skinnies). Thats why you end up with a better ET with slicks, but sometimes a slightly lower mph.
Just my .02

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Purvis said:
I dont think anyone was saying it was "bad" other than that Diamond star Talon guy.

Note to others..
My cars in the past have always trapped a little lower with ET streets on. You can typically expect about 1 mph less than running radials in my experience....
Yes its more average hp applied, but its also greater rolling resistance at the top of the track (this is part of the reason why people run skinnies). Thats why you end up with a better ET with slicks, but sometimes a slightly lower mph.
Just my .02
In my experience, 110mph on a 2.0 short time will get you a ~13.0. I'd say a 12.4 on 110mph is pretty decent, and even more decent when you consider this car is well over 4k lbs. with a driver. :thumbsup:

The "Diamond star Talon guy" is just trolling for fodder on LS2.com. I'm sure if the old fella' doesn't already have a link to this thread posted, he will soon enough. :loser:

I'm more impressed with a 115mph trap speed in a bone-stock, heavy 'vert into a 16mph headwind.
S.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Geez, I should have went to the shootout. How did the black Cobra vert do? He is a buddy of mine.

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
i am going to flash the comp back to stock for a few passes...but I can only run 1/8th mile around here...our 1/4 mile track is too dangerous to run on.

ya our 1/4mile track is like 3800da with cracks and water everywhere.. so its pointless for dave to even take it there for a true time.

bluestreak89

Established Member
I think that in good conditions with a good driver (Nothing at all against the driver because I dont know the conditions) this car will run 12.30's to 12.50's bone stock, tires and all. That trap speed on the vert says that it surely can with good conditions and no head wind. I have seen a 4500lb benz run 12.4 @ 111 on michelin PS2's with a 1.9 60'. This car can go 1.6x in the 60 ft. Traps speeds going down on ET's is not a new revelation. Should the coupe be faster in the quarter because of chassis rigidity?

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Purvis said:

Note to others..
Just my .02

Again, if you run a lower trap with a stickier tire something needs to be adjusted to make the most of the new meats--launch rpm, gearing, suspension. Rolling resistance doesn't factor into the equation much if at all--you're accelerating down the track, not coasting. The only thing skinnies really do is remove weight from the front of the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread