Max torque SAE net, lb-ft 500+ @ 4000 rpm
Transmission 6-speed manual
Curb weight, lb (est) 3450-3550
0-60 mph, sec (est) 3.9
EPA mpg, city/hwy Not yet rated

Last edited:

stang22

Established Member
AWESOME CAR!!...And Carroll's dream car for ford to build!! This car would definitely look like a contender to beat the Z06 and viper,...but that price??!!!...Ouchhhhh!!!

fordification

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Pics don't work and it's already been killed

(DEARBORN, MI) ,March 24, 2006
TheGT500Source.com -
What else is there aside from a GT350? Speculation has long held that the next production Shelby won't be a Mustang, rather a replacement for the Ford GT. Sources told us that the Shelby GR1 might be renamed the "Cobra" should it become a production model. We first reported that Ford was dropping the Cobra name from the Mustang on 15 December 2005.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
DBK already posted it was not go for production. Won't meet federal crash standards and they weren't going to develop a new brand new engine for a low production car.

Anyway, it even says late 2006 on sale. You would think someone somewhere would have some actual information on a production one. They are even closig the plant where it would be made.

Not hating at all, but no way this thing makes it into production by Ford.

fordification

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
DBK already posted it was not go for production. Won't meet federal crash standards and they weren't going to develop a new brand new engine for a low production car.

Anyway, it even says late 2006 on sale. You would think someone somewhere would have some actual information on a production one. They are even closig the plant where it would be made.

Not hating at all, but no way this thing makes it into production by Ford.

so Ford will just trash all r&d, materials, and machine tooling from the gt. maybe I'll give them a call and they'll just give it to me for free!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
It's just a show car. No big loss. Every car company makes concept cars that never make it. They have that built in their R&D budgets.

Look at it from a reasonable perspective:

1. They don't have a 427 DOHC V8 and nothing currently that could get them to that. Do really think they are gonna develop an entirely new engine, durability and emissions test/register for ~1000 unit a year car?

2. The plant that they would make it at is scheduled to close

3. Without some design changes, it will never pass federal crash standards

4. The biggest reason: Ford is a "you know what" hair from going bankrupt and needs FAR more than another ultra low volume sports car to boost their plumeting sales.

5. It already approaching mid 2006 and nobody has heard a peep about this car. You would think that a car scheduled to go on sale in late 2006 would have been spotted/photographed/road tested by now.

I would love for them to build it, but after the production problems with the GT ($$$$$ warranty work and QC issues), consolidation/cut backs at SVT and all the other more pressing needs the odds are stacked way against it.

fordification

Established Member
Get off my back!
As I mentioned before, the idea was to use some of the r&d, materials, and machine tooling from the gt. And Carrol has already stated his last goal was to recreate the Cobra. And I deleted the 2006 sales date so no one freaks out! :mj:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
if they build it and offer it for sale i will buy it know matter what the price. that is the coolest car i have ever seen........period

fordification

Established Member
Shelby-GR1-Concept-048.jpg

Shelby-GR1-Concept-043.jpg

Shelby-GR1-Concept-010.jpg

Shelby-GR1-Concept-036.jpg

Very similar curves as the DB9. I have a question, if GM can steal the Monaro from Holden, and Chrysler can steal the Crossfire from Mercedes, couldn't Ford get some involvement from Aston Martin? Perhaps Ford has a little more respect for themselves to do so.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
fordification said:
Get off my back!
As I mentioned before, the idea was to use some of the r&d, materials, and machine tooling from the gt. And Carrol has already stated his last goal was to recreate the Cobra. And I deleted the 2006 sales date so no one freaks out! :mj:

Take it easy man, I wasn't riding you.

It wouldn't surprise me if Shelby made something by himself, I just don't see Ford making another expensive car.

You make a good point about using some of AM stuff/technologies. However, if they just took one of their car, engines, or much anything else and slapped a Ford logo on it, it would water down the AM name and take away some of the exclusivity from the brand. People that buy AM/Bentley's/Rolls/Ferrari's etc don't want their cars rebadged and sold cheaper under a more "mainstream" name. They pay for that privlege. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the way of the world.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The view from the rear is badass. Very muscular It has a little viper in it IMO, which intern has some Daytona in it.

This should have been made instead of the GT

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
really not sure about this thing, in fords present state i dont see them building this thing at all. the last thing they seem to need is a low volume "halo" car that isnt going to make any money.

however, at the same time all the money, and effort, and engineering that went into building the platform for the Ford GT it would only make sense for them to use that platform again for a new car rather than use it for 2-3 years and then leave it to die. i mean since its not like they have to start from scratch. but i havent seen or heard anything about it since it debuted so thats not really a good sign.

fordification

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
However, if they just took one of their car, engines, or much anything else and slapped a Ford logo on it, it would water down the AM name and take away some of the exclusivity from the brand. People that buy AM/Bentley's/Rolls/Ferrari's etc don't want their cars rebadged and sold cheaper under a more "mainstream" name. They pay for that privlege. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the way of the world.

DB9 is 155k and the GR-1 is estimated at 130k.

Users who are viewing this thread