Shady deal on this low miler?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Find me another one that looked as good as mine did with a clean title and zero rust for under 8000.

I log information (VIN, price, options, miles, comments, etc) on every 93 cobra that sells on Ebay. On your car, I noted that it was, "a very nice driver, especially for the price, repaint/previous wreck, painted valve covers"). I thought 8K was a great price for yours, as it looked very clean. Even though it had been previously wrecked, and repainted.

As for the one in question, it looks very nice, but he's asking a premium and I feel everyone should know it's history. If it's history doesn't bother someone, then they'll pay whatever they feel it's worth. But, MOST people, when it comes to a very low mile 93 cobra, most actually care that it says theft/stripped on Carfax, and will either go somewhere else, or offer less. The problem with a history like that, is the miles could be completely wrong, as a stripped car could have needed a whole new dash/cluster, or the replaced parts could have been from a higher mile car. Nobody really knows, that's why a theft recovery simply doesn't have the value a regular car does. I'm sure it's a nice car, but there are too many questions about it to bring a premium. If the currant owner doesn't know anything about it, then that's too bad he didn't run a Carfax when he bought it, as that could be a multi-thousand dollar mistake/loss on his part.

And FWIW, I've probably pulled 25 engines in mustangs in my years, and scratched the firewall or core support maybe once. So saying that no scratches suggests Carfax is wrong, is being naive.

SRV1

Established Member
Well let me point out a couple of things that I found. Chime in and correct me if I'am wrong.

1. Wrong color oil pan as mentioned and oil drain plug
2. It has blue coolant hoses
3. It does not look like a Cobra brake booster to me more like a regular GT
4. The brackets for the bumper cover to core support has the wrong bolts. I believe they should be tan not shiny gold.
5. Cruise control? Dead give away
6. Scissor jack is blue? I thought they were black?
7. Crank dampner has overspray on it
8. passengers fender VIN tag has overspray, well that is what it looks like
9. Belt routing is wrong. It seems the smog pump is bypassed.
10. Decal for emission hose routing missing on coil cover
11. Sunroof? Did they all come with this or was it an option?
12. Wrong tape deck
13. Not original radiator. The stock radiator has a rib on the top plate and a Ford part number sticker on the tank where the upper radiator hose goes to. The sticker in the middle shows that it is a replacement and it has no rib.

James

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Also notice it has the early style upper intake yet the car is a 2k+ build number.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Well let me point out a couple of things that I found. Chime in and correct me if I'am wrong.

1. Wrong color oil pan as mentioned and oil drain plug
2. It has blue coolant hoses
3. It does not look like a Cobra brake booster to me more like a regular GT
4. The brackets for the bumper cover to core support has the wrong bolts. I believe they should be tan not shiny gold.
5. Cruise control? Dead give away
6. Scissor jack is blue? I thought they were black?
7. Crank dampner has overspray on it
8. passengers fender VIN tag has overspray, well that is what it looks like
9. Belt routing is wrong. It seems the smog pump is bypassed.
10. Decal for emission hose routing missing on coil cover
11. Sunroof? Did they all come with this or was it an option?
12. Wrong tape deck
13. Not original radiator. The stock radiator has a rib on the top plate and a Ford part number sticker on the tank where the upper radiator hose goes to. The sticker in the middle shows that it is a replacement and it has no rib.

James

The Cobra and 5.0 GT/LX use the same brake booster.
The bumper brackets are correct... natural metal w/plated bolts (they really were that shiney when new)
Sunroof was an option on all mustangs... it seems cobra's are a pretty close split on non-sunroof vs. sunroof

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
The Cobra and 5.0 GT/LX use the same brake booster.

I'm afraid they don't. Only thing between the Cobra and the 5.0L that are shared is the front calipers, front pads and the flexible brake lines (some but not all metal lines). Booster, M/C, prop valve, front rotors, rear brakes(obviously) and all other rear brake components (pb cables,calipers, etc) are Cobra specific only.

GT350R

Established Member
ok, I never said car fax was wrong.

19cobra93........ are you implying that car thieves handle the cars they are stripping with the same attention to detail that you do? I mean we are talking about car thieves. Thats what I am saying about it being a theft. Its a weird theft.

Do you know the history on my old car? When was it wrecked. When I bought it , the guy gave me a BS reason why the header was replaced. Said the body shop said the rivets wouldnt reattach inside the holes after the old ones were riveted out. I asked specificly about that. (I can still turf his lawn , right :) )

This thread is getting kind of neat to me. I love attention to detail and most dont have the knowldgebase to engage with just pictures to look at. I am learning too. Never knew there was a late style intake. Now on the booster, correct me if I am wrong. They look the same as the GT's, but are different due to the duel diaphram inside.

The radiator had an E8ZE part number silver sticker right on top. It was pretty think, and not knowing better, I thought that WAS a Cobra thing. Was the radiator Cobra specific? Or should it be like an F3ZZ Gt radiator?

Smog pump was rerouted. Can say for sure if it was bypassed, or pulled completely.

Also, dont know if its visable in the pics. On these cars. Is the thorttle bolt bolted to the intake? Or is it studs and nuts like the HO's? This had bolts.

Now does anyone know what years are supposed to have what as far as oil pans go? I save engine pics of low mileage engines. They seem to be grey and black. It looks like they were all black, until 1990, then they were grey, except for the Cobra's which were black. Correct?

remember, I have a 2200 mile 89 Coupe, so attention to detail on low mileage cars is my kinda game.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I'm afraid they don't. Only thing between the Cobra and the 5.0L that are shared is the front calipers, front pads and the flexible brake lines (some but not all metal lines). Booster, M/C, prop valve, front rotors, rear brakes(obviously) and all other rear brake components (pb cables,calipers, etc) are Cobra specific only.

Yup - the Cobra booster & MC is the most desirable combo (to most) when switching a GT/LX to rear disc.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member

19cobra93........ are you implying that car thieves handle the cars they are stripping with the same attention to detail that you do? I mean we are talking about car thieves. Thats what I am saying about it being a theft. Its a weird theft."

Yes some car theives will steal a car carefully strip it and hope to buy it when it shows up at an insurance auction, that is if they are the high bidder. Hoping they can reinstall the parts later.

"I love attention to detail and most dont have the knowldgebase to engage with just pictures to look at."

some of the people here have owned several of these cars in the past and presently and do know alot about them and can tell you alot from just the pics, stick around you might learn something.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member

19cobra93........ are you implying that car thieves handle the cars they are stripping with the same attention to detail that you do? I mean we are talking about car thieves. Thats what I am saying about it being a theft. Its a weird theft.

Do you know the history on my old car? When was it wrecked. When I bought it , the guy gave me a BS reason why the header was replaced. Said the body shop said the rivets wouldnt reattach inside the holes after the old ones were riveted out. I asked specificly about that. (I can still turf his lawn , right :) )

This thread is getting kind of neat to me. I love attention to detail and most dont have the knowldgebase to engage with just pictures to look at. I am learning too. Never knew there was a late style intake. Now on the booster, correct me if I am wrong. They look the same as the GT's, but are different due to the duel diaphram inside.

The radiator had an E8ZE part number silver sticker right on top. It was pretty think, and not knowing better, I thought that WAS a Cobra thing. Was the radiator Cobra specific? Or should it be like an F3ZZ Gt radiator?

Smog pump was rerouted. Can say for sure if it was bypassed, or pulled completely.

Also, dont know if its visable in the pics. On these cars. Is the thorttle bolt bolted to the intake? Or is it studs and nuts like the HO's? This had bolts.

Now does anyone know what years are supposed to have what as far as oil pans go? I save engine pics of low mileage engines. They seem to be grey and black. It looks like they were all black, until 1990, then they were grey, except for the Cobra's which were black. Correct?

remember, I have a 2200 mile 89 Coupe, so attention to detail on low mileage cars is my kinda game.

You didn't directly say Carfax was wrong, but indirectly you suggested it.

Pulling a motor in a fox is an incredibly easy ordeal. It wouldn't be unusual for anyone to pull a motor out of one, even in a hurry, without causing any damage. Like was mentioned, possibly the motor was pulled with anticipation of buying the car back and putting it back together. Who knows really, it could be anything.

As for your car being wrecked, someone made mention of a white headlight mount panel (aftermarket), combine that with the fact your car has been repainted, logic suggests it was wrecked. Maybe not, but it seems the case. Even then, it's not a big deal. My own 93 has been hit in the front previously. The repair work was awesome, and it didn't deter me from purchasing it. Turns out, it's nicer than the original paint 93 I had previously.

The radiator is not cobra specific, and the "E8ZE" part number seems to be correct. My catalog, for the 5.0L, only lists a/t and m/t as the options with E8ZZ-8005-A as the service part number for the m/t.

Ford went to the black oil pan in '93 when the hyper pistons were introduced in the mustangs. Prior to that the pans were grey. Not sure on the older ones. My 91 5.0 has an 88 engine in it, and I think the pan is black as well... Can't remember. Too many 5.0's, not enough memory.

Let's here some details on your low mile coupe.

SRV1

Established Member
Either way I would stay far away from this car. For that kind of money I would not want to buy a salvage title or theft recovery. It seems like a nice car but not for the money that aszhat is asking. That guy must be high on drugs.

James

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
.....is the engine compartment has NO scratches from having the motor pulled. It has not been repainted either. Still shows the factory primer behind the strut towers and all.

What primer? You should NOT be able to see any primer in the engine compartment in an original paint car

93 svt

03 ROUSH stage 3
Established Member
damn you mean i could of had cruise control. lol. Poeple who try to rip others off like that suck. I mean I was over seas for 1.5 years and came back and bought my teal one. I could just imagine if it was a fake knowing how hard I worked for the money to buy a legit 93'. that dude should be ashamed of himself.

GT350R

Established Member
What primer? You should NOT be able to see any primer in the engine compartment in an original paint car

Sorry, but true. Well, maybe your idea of primer is different then mine. I am not saying it looks like someone rattle canned the inside. But Ford certainly did not cover the entire engine compartment in paint. On the later cars it is much harder to notice, as they seemed to have gotten better at getting the strut towers. Look on the back side of yours where your EGR solinoid contol is and you will see what I mean.

I am sure others know what I am talking about. If not, I will pop up some pics.

GT350R

Established Member
Its a little more correct to say that the guy he bought it off of should be ashamed. I am sure this guy has no idea. He buys , plays with , then sells. Thats all. He does not seem like much of a computer/internet kind od guy, so I would think carfax is just not something he does.

Soooooooooooooo.............

My Coupe :)

Weird one. First off, does anyone know about the 41X code cars?
Its THE stripper coupe. 41x is more then a low or no option coupe. It was one option, that deleted everything, and only gave you one thing. A heavy duty battery. You also could not get any options if it was a 41x. So it has nothing. Basicly, a coupe body, and engine and a 5 speed.

I would like to find other people who know more about these 41x's as I cant find any way to verify them, other then the invoice, which I am lucky enough to have for my car.

I have not seen another 87-89 Coupe with under 5000 miles, and have seen very few cars at all that I could guess were 41X codes. So mine might be the ony low mileage one out there.
Black exterior, red interior, red pinstripe. Cover up and sits at Moms house so I cant bump it or go near it :)

Yes, I know its dusty, and I should be ashamed. Its not dusty anymore.
Picture043.jpg

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Sorry, but true. Well, maybe your idea of primer is different then mine. I am not saying it looks like someone rattle canned the inside. But Ford certainly did not cover the entire engine compartment in paint. On the later cars it is much harder to notice, as they seemed to have gotten better at getting the strut towers. Look on the back side of yours where your EGR solinoid contol is and you will see what I mean.

I am sure others know what I am talking about. If not, I will pop up some pics.

Mine does not. I am pretty sure the cars are dipped so I don't see how primer could be seen. If that was the case, you would be able to see the primer inside the cabin when the interior is removed which you cannot.

Users who are viewing this thread