Shady Car Dealer?

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hi Gang,

As you guys know I am in the market all the time to buy/sell/trade my cars. I do keep some longer than others though...lol.

I recently put in an off on a brand new Challenger Super Stock. The offer was accepted, the financing approved.

Just as I was about to go to the dealer to get the car I get a text saying I needed to come sign the paperwork, leave my down payment (20K) and once the deal was funded I could pick up the car...

never ever heard of this practice, so I told the dealer no thanks...who in there right mind would give someone 20k down and not leave with the car???

anyways, it's the first time I tried doing business with this dealer and they are a "south side" dealer in a kinda bad area of the Chicago suburbs. His justification was the SRT cars are stolen constantly and this was the dealers policy for ANY srt vehicle...

the owner of the dealer even called me to assure me there was nothing unusual...I still passed up the deal.

i told them I would be happy to sign all the paperwork, have the deal get funded and then I would bring the 20k and they could give me the car at that time...they still said no...

anyways, just curious if anyone had ever dealt with this. i have bought DOZENS of cars and never heard of this practice. Hell, i've had dealers let me take a car for the weekend before deciding on it!

pic of the super stock...lol...

cu-3.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No. They aren't being shady.

Your check will take 3-5 days to clear, the deal would take a day or so to fund.

I would ask them to electronically sign it and it will fund within hours.

If you walk in with your check, give it to them, sign all the paperwork, and then leave with the car...your check bounces, even if the deal funds, they're still out the $20k.

Dodge cars have been HIGHLY targeted for theft/fraud.

The dealership is basically saying that they are not willing to assume the risk. Not a super common practice (I don't do this), but there are a lot of dealerships that do, and it's preached as a 'best practice' in the auto industry.

If you like the car, I would ask them to electronically sign the contract and then give them 24-48 hours for you to pick up the car.

Zemedici

Established Member
as nick said, Dodges get stolen regularly.

Trackhawks / hellcats / scat packs, you name it. Simply because they're so easy to steal now.

Not to mention you're in Chiraq. lolol

ArabianOak

Established Member

Your check will take 3-5 days to clear, the deal would take a day or so to fund.

If you walk in with your check, give it to them, sign all the paperwork, and then leave with the car...your check bounces, even if the deal funds, they're still out the $20k.

The dealership is basically saying that they are not willing to assume the risk. Not a super common practice (I don't do this), but there are a lot of dealerships that do, and it's preached as a 'best practice' in the auto industry.

If you like the car, I would ask them to electronically sign the contract and then give them 24-48 hours for you to pick up the car.

i could bring cash or a certified check...also, he did mention e sign but said it takes 24-48 hours....thoughts?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
i could bring cash or a certified check...also, he did mention e sign but said it takes 24-48 hours....thoughts?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the deal is good.

I'd tell them that you'll e-sign, bring them a cashiers check (cash = more paperwork) and you will pick up the car in 48 hours.

ArabianOak

Established Member
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the deal is good.

I'd tell them that you'll e-sign, bring them a cashiers check (cash = more paperwork) and you will pick up the car in 48 hours.
4k under msrp...but this must be the reason the car hasnt sold...what happens if they dont give me the car? we both know getting that 20k back will take a long time (court etc)

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
as nick said, Dodges get stolen regularly.

Trackhawks / hellcats / scat packs, you name it. Simply because they're so easy to steal now.

Not to mention you're in Chiraq. lolol

Curious, why are they so easy to steal now?

I was going to list another theory as to why they are stolen but its not politically correct.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

madscotsman

Established Member

I was going to list another theory as to why they are stolen but its not politically correct.

I have a 2018 Charger Hellcat and from what i've been reading on some of the groups, they WERE bypassing the factory alarm by breaking a quarter window, then it's easy to access the PCM with some wires under the glove box to plug a laptop in and create a key. There is a transmission release lever (for towing) under the change compartment next to the shifter with a neon orange flag on it that can be accessed and pulled in less than a minute once inside. Pull that and they push the car into the street while programming a key, and they're gone. Now people are saying they can create a key with a phone app that grabs your signal from your existing key. Stories of guys from Chicago finding their cars having 5-6 keys programmed when they only have 3 themselves. 99.9% of the people getting these stolen are people who own them in apartments, or have no garage, so sitting out on the street is like a golden goose.

Zemedici

Established Member
I have a 2018 Charger Hellcat and from what i've been reading on some of the groups, they WERE bypassing the factory alarm by breaking a quarter window, then it's easy to access the PCM with some wires under the glove box to plug a laptop in and create a key. There is a transmission release lever (for towing) under the change compartment next to the shifter with a neon orange flag on it that can be accessed and pulled in less than a minute once inside. Pull that and they push the car into the street while programming a key, and they're gone. Now people are saying they can create a key with a phone app that grabs your signal from your existing key. Stories of guys from Chicago finding their cars having 5-6 keys programmed when they only have 3 themselves. 99.9% of the people getting these stolen are people who own them in apartments, or have no garage, so sitting out on the street is like a golden goose.

Right on the money sir

See our thief above :D hahahaha

and I lol'd

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Great points. I jumped the gun.

But by jeez, if anyone meets finance qualifications, it's gotta be the Oak.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

Wow that’s wild. Thanks for the explanation.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nothing like leaving a $100K sports car parked on the side of the street. Screams Steal me!
I know some have to do this if they don't have a garage, but NO WAY would I even think of leaving a car this expensive parked overnight on the street in a questionable area. I probably wouldn't do it for even a couple of hours. In a nice neighborhood, yes on a couple of hours. Still NO overnight.

@ArabianOak, are you going to discuss this again with the dealer?

ArabianOak

Established Member
I know some have to do this if they don't have a garage, but NO WAY would I even think of leaving a car this expensive parked overnight on the street in a questionable area. I probably wouldn't do it for even a couple of hours. In a nice neighborhood, yes on a couple of hours. Still NO overnight.

@ArabianOak, are you going to discuss this again with the dealer?
Not sure. It’s dead of the winter so there’s no rush. Just curious if anyone ever heard of this tactic. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread