Serious Engine Problem

BillsSnake

:cuss: Here is my little story. Your comments would be appreciated and are solicited. This morning I fired up the R and did my normal routine while letting it warm up to operating temperature. Everything seemed ok so off to work I went. About an hour later my wife called and said that there was oil on the garage floor around the area of the left rear wheel. The oil looked dirty but when she put some on her finger it looked new. Gotta love a woman that will stick her well manicured fingers in oil on the garage floor. Well, I worked for about 6 hours and went out and fired up the R. Not only do I now have a tapping noise at the top left rear of the motor but I got a small amount of oil in the left front exhaust pipe. I noise quieted down somewhat as the motor got warm and I didn't notice any new oil in the pipe. Anyone have a similar problem? OR some advice. I am contacting my mechanic on Monday. Or maybe I will yell at SVT. Comeon guys let me have it.:cuss:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Are you saying that you had oil comming out the exhaust pipe tip onto the ground?

Is the car smoking and or running poorly otherwise?

I believe that nobody in here has mentioned a problem like this, but we surely will help if we can.

BillsSnake

The car is not smoking. The engine is not running rough. The oil was laying inside the pipe and there was not a lot of it, just enough to catch my attention. The engine noise is what really concerns me. :mj:

kevin

bill. i've posted this b4. i have rather loud tapping noise from the top part of the engine, pass side towards firewall. a svt ford guy at ra this past sept said it was no big deal. of all the 00r's i've heard - they all sound a bit diff from each other.

the oil - is it motor or rear diff. seems to me that a long time ago someone posted that a oil sensor or piece was leaking from the factory. svt replaced the part when the old was sent in. i can't remember exactly which part or who it was that posted it.

my rear diff is leaking a bit and the look can be confused with clean motor oil. i think it's just the seal cause it's coming right off the bottom (drip by drip)

BillsSnake

Kevin - my major concern is the oil in the exhaust pipe and the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the head on the drivers side. This just started and sounds like lifter noise on the old motors.:cuss:

kevin

Originally posted by BillsSnake
Kevin - my major concern is the oil in the exhaust pipe and the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the head on the drivers side. This just started and sounds like lifter noise on the old motors.:cuss:

that's what my noise sounds like. but never seen oil at the exhaust tip. at the track i'always look the tips to be sure i haven't damaged them cause i tend to cut a close apex on the gators. never seen oil

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
. seems to me that a long time ago someone posted that a oil sensor or piece was leaking from the factory. svt replaced the part when the old was sent in. i can't remember exactly which part or who it was that posted it.

I believe Paul (svtguy) had something simular to what you are talking about, Kevin. Maybe he will let us know when he sees this. He replaced the part himself, so I am sure he will know exactly what it was.

Brian

svtguy

Established Member
My oil cooler adapter, part the oil filter screws onto, leaked engine oil. I called SVT and they gave me the phone number of the manufacturer of that part. I do not remember who it was but I called them and they sent me a replacement part and I installed it myself.

XLR8-R

Established Member
Bill, mine makes some lifter noise also. Plus, when cold, I think I hear the forged pistons rattling. It's not unusual for a motor with race tolerances to make some noises. Has your oil level dropped? I have also wondered if the lifters and followers have been tested with the lift of the R cams,(much more than other mod motors stock). I have heard busted valve springs cause lifter noise too, but then I have bounced mine off the rev limiter several times when I'm not watching the tach. So... at least if there's a problem, sounds like you're not the only one. One more thing, mine has sounded the same since the day I got it and though it doesn't get driven everyday, when it does, it is DRIVEN like it was designed for.(no tickets yet, knock on wood) It's been to the drags, autocrossed, etc. Also the oil is new looking with a couple thousand miles. Anyways, I've probably really confused you now, but my guess is it's fine.

Carter

Andy M

Established Member
Guys,

My R makes the same knocking sounds that the rest of you have...but I have never seen any oil coming from the pipes?? :eek:

Please let us know how this gets resolved??

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I have the noise, especially when I first start it up....no oil leakage from the exhaust....however....the dealer I purchased it from had an engine oil leak, which I believe was coming from the cooler....I have the paperwork somewhere in my binder....I'll dig it out and post the info here....

BillsSnake

When I first took delivery of the R I had an oil cooler line that leaked onto the top of the splitter. We didn't find this till I took off the splitter to wax the car. That little problem was solved with a couple of wrenches. This, however, concerns me. The car only has 3700 miles on it but it has been "DRIVEN" like I stole it more than once. I will keep you guys updated. :cuss:

kevin

When I first took delivery of the R I had an oil cooler line that leaked onto the top of the splitter. We didn't find this till I took off the splitter to wax the car. That little problem was solved with a couple of wrenches. This, however, concerns me. The car only has 3700 miles on it but it has been "DRIVEN" like I stole it more than once. I will keep you guys updated. :cuss:

i have about the same # of miles as yours. and believe me it's been driven hard on the track. i've seen no leak your describing

BillsSnake

Kevin - today I started the R up and let it idle in the garage. No oil in exhaust pipe or on the floor. I checked the undercarriage and no oil but now the entire top half of the motor is making the same noise. Yesterday it seemed to be located left rear. hummmmmmm This thing was as quiet as a church mouse till yesterday. :cuss: Guess what I got in the mail today!!!!! woooohooooo

Cobra-R

Established Member
My R #148 is quieter than #131, but not at all as noisy as Kevins car. I agree that these engines are more prone to making noises with the 24 valve heads and all.
With that said, I think I would have it checked out, Bill. Better safe than sorry.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
My R #148 is quieter than #131, but not at all as noisy as Kevins car. I agree that these engines are more prone to making noises with the 24 valve heads and all.
With that said, I think I would have it checked out, Bill. Better safe than sorry.

Brian
Hey Brian, has your R somehow lost 2 cylinders man? Cause my R has 32 valves... hehe!! :-?

all together now ... 4 valves times 8 cylinders = 32 valves

Sorry Brian, I couldn't resist?! Besides, I just beat Kevin to it...and I am alot easier than Kevin on this sort of stuff?! :bash:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Hey Brian, has your R somehow lost 2 cylinders man? Cause my R has 32 valves... hehe!! :-?

all together now ... 4 valves times 8 cylinders = 32 valves

Sorry Brian, I couldn't resist?! Besides, I just beat Kevin to it...and I am alot easier than Kevin on this sort of stuff?! :bash:

You guys got 32 valves???? Damn, I knew something was wrong with my cars. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Andy and Matt. Yes, you were alot easier on me than kevin would have been.

BillsSnake

:-? :-? Ok guys, now I get the impression that the valve train noise that I have just acquired is "normal?" Now all I have to do is find a qualified SVT mechanic to look at it. You would think that South Florida would have one or two. Thanks my friends.

kevin

Kevin - today I started the R up and let it idle in the garage. No oil in exhaust pipe or on the floor. I checked the undercarriage and no oil but now the entire top half of the motor is making the same noise. Yesterday it seemed to be located left rear. hummmmmmm This thing was as quiet as a church mouse till yesterday. :cuss: Guess what I got in the mail today!!!!! woooohooooo

whaddya get n the mail??????

Users who are viewing this thread