Selling Cobra for Something Different

Cabbage

Established Member
I’m contemplating selling my cobra to pick up a CTSV or ZL1. Wondering if anyone has sold and regretted it or was happy with the switch?
a95f0fb0d1a3b50517f0c212790ccf9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
i dunno man, your car is pretty hot looking, i'd buy it! haha...aesthetics aside, regret would depend on what you get rid of versus what you ultimately get. i'd make a list of what you love about your car and another list of what you do not love about it. is there anything you can do to make you love yours more? lookswise? performancewise? are you looking for something purposed differently? track or daily or beastmode for the streets? etc...i have seen plenty of mustangs that i would get rid of in half a heartbeat for a ZL1 or a CTSV and never look back. mine is not one of them, so i'm staying put.

Cabbage

Established Member
i dunno man, your car is pretty hot looking, i'd buy it! haha...aesthetics aside, regret would depend on what you get rid of versus what you ultimately get. i'd make a list of what you love about your car and another list of what you do not love about it. is there anything you can do to make you love yours more? lookswise? performancewise? are you looking for something purposed differently? track or daily or beastmode for the streets? etc...i have seen plenty of mustangs that i would get rid of in half a heartbeat for a ZL1 or a CTSV and never look back. mine is not one of them, so i'm staying put.

My main reason for wanting to sell is the next round of mods would be a built motor and a 4r70w or 6r80. Car has a gen 2 tvs and makes 655rwhp on c16 (safe tune) I’m just not sure if I want to spend more money on it or get into something newer and more family friendly. My wife doesn’t want our 2yr old in my car cause she feels it’s too loud for him and I’m starting to be more of a dad and thinking about safety of the cobra not cause I’d ever drive like a-hole with my boy in it but if someone were to run into us I’m not sure if it’s safe as a newer car. Not sure? Just looking for opinions.
Thanks

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
My main reason for wanting to sell is the next round of mods would be a built motor and a 4r70w or 6r80. Car has a gen 2 tvs and makes 655rwhp on c16 (safe tune) I’m just not sure if I want to spend more money on it or get into something newer and more family friendly. My wife doesn’t want our 2yr old in my car cause she feels it’s too loud for him and I’m starting to be more of a dad and thinking about safety of the cobra not cause I’d ever drive like a-hole with my boy in it but if someone were to run into us I’m not sure if it’s safe as a newer car. Not sure? Just looking for opinions.
Thanks

There are some pretty valid and admirable reasons to part with it right there! Always glad to see a responsible Daddy. I am sure other Cobra owning Daddies will chime in (i'm just a single 48 year old manchild who is ultra responsible in every facet of life except has yet to commit to a wife and kids), but IMHO I'd keep the Cobra for myself and get something else for the family (if that is financially or otherwise possible, of course)- that right there would eliminate the possibility for any regret. Maybe consider getting a nice sporty/fun sedan of some sort- Charger, M3/M5, CTSV, S4/S6, etc.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have no experience with the ZL1 (and never will). Don't like Chevy.....

My Dad has a Cadillac CTS-V. I have driven it and besides creature comforts it is very comparable to the Cobra. You're making 655 HP, so baseline you're already making more HP that the stock CTS-V. My Dad's is a 2011 and is rated at 556HP. The CTS-V has a very stiff suspension. My Dad has ridden in my 2015 Challenger and said it rides smoother than his CTS-V. His CTS-V has a pretty throaty exhaust. Not crazy loud, but could be with a more aggressive set up. The back seat (as his is a coupe) is just as much of a pain to get in and out of as the Cobra.

So, if you're looking for something more family friendly then the CTS-V isn't it as it is not family friendly. I've always thought family friendly sports car was an oxymoron anyway :D..........

Now, if your looking to change from one toy to another the CTS-V is very comparable to your Cobra power wise, so then you would just need to decided which do you think looks better?

Lastly, I have been on this site since 2008 and I can't tell you how many threads I have read where the person regretted selling his Cobra and how many "I'm back in a Cobra" threads I have read. I sold my 89GT and regretted it. I'll never let my Cobra (coupe) go. :)

Cabbage

Established Member
I have no experience with the ZL1 (and never will). Don't like Chevy.....

My Dad has a Cadillac CTS-V. I have driven it and besides creature comforts it is very comparable to the Cobra. You're making 655 HP, so baseline you're already making more HP that the stock CTS-V. My Dad's is a 2011 and is rated at 556HP. The CTS-V has a very stiff suspension. My Dad has ridden in my 2015 Challenger and said it rides smoother than his CTS-V. His CTS-V has a pretty throaty exhaust. Not crazy loud, but could be with a more aggressive set up. The back seat (as his is a coupe) is just as much of a pain to get in and out of as the Cobra.

So, if you're looking for something more family friendly then the CTS-V isn't it as it is not family friendly. I've always thought family friendly sports car was an oxymoron anyway :D..........

Now, if your looking to change from one toy to another the CTS-V is very comparable to your Cobra power wise, so then you would just need to decided which do you think looks better?

Lastly, I have been on this site since 2008 and I can't tell you how many threads I have read where the person regretted selling his Cobra and how many "I'm back in a Cobra" threads I have read. I sold my 89GT and regretted it. I'll never let my Cobra (coupe) go. :)

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the comparisons.
The ctsv I’m looking at is a 4 door and has a weaponX package on it and it’s making 650rwhp. So power wise I’d be happy I think? but I’m sick of shifting gears. Want an
3800ddf721eed8c25e8abb68ac494d0a.jpg
auto in something. Here’s a pic of the car I’m thinking about getting.

joker21705

Established Member
No I have 2 trucks. Denali daily and short box to commute in. Car would occasionally used in summer.

Technically you don't have to have your kid in the cobra you have other cars you can drive with him, so keep the cobra lol unless you really want the CTS which is also a nice car but not a cobra.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I was about to share what I did being a father of 4 - but if you only have 1 kid and 3 vehicles - I'm not sure I share the same struggle as you. Especially since you have a Denali - which I would assume should be big and safe enough to carry the whole family.

All I can say is all my kids prefer the ride in my wife's minivan since it has a screen for movies and cartoons; but they really enjoy the loud convertible Cobra as well. They really like being dropped off at school or daycare in it. Backing up to the play ground at daycare causes all the kids to rush the fence and talk about the yellow race car that just drove up - brings out a lot of smiles for sure.

That said I purchased a 3rd car to satisfy the family needs - but only once baby #4 showed up. I didn't feel a need prior to that - nor do I feel unsafe in the Cobra. I will agree that newer vehicles are way safer though.

But it sounds to me that you are at a phase where you are probably bored with the Cobra and want something new more than looking for a transportation solution. And this is the point where I don't see eye to eye with you since I'm still happy with my Cobra as it is.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
now knowing that you have 2 other vehicles that are more than sufficient for a family of your size, why are you really looking to do something with your Cobra? do you want to have NO cars that are strictly for fun or are you really bored with your Cobra and want to 'upgrade' (this could be subjective you know!) or do you just want something else that is dual-purposed as a fun car AND that the family can enjoy safely and at a reasonable volume? if it is the latter then I would stick with the CTSV or a Charger or M3/M5 or S4/S6...if you love your Cobra and would prefer to keep it but for the family, then i'm lost on why you are having this discussion in the first place? either way, it sounds to me like this discussion is being had because you are at least somewhat bored. just my opinion of course.

badmpg03

Established Member
Drive the other cars and see what you think. Kind of obvious but CTSV is a BIG car, so is ZL1 and will feel way different which you may or may not like.
For me I drove them but happy staying with a terminator because I don't daily drive it and to me it is a smaller/sportier feeling car than the new mustangs/camaro's....even though a ZL1 would have more mechanical grip and run rings around me.
I think some people miss that feel as they aren't making short wheelbase, 3700 lb muscle cars with 17 or 18 in wheels anymore. Short wheel base smaller cars are just fun to drive and always will be IMO.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
When I was just looking at different cars I kept running across ads where the owner said he would consider a trade/part trade for a 03-04 cobra. So I thought there must be a reason.

I guess it's where your at in your life. My 03 cobra gives me what I am looking for now, a 70's muscle car feel with bluetooth and airbags.

But a ctsv wagon would be cool too. But good luck finding 1 under 55k not beat on.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I am on my 3rd Cobra, I just seem to come back to them. I sold my first one for a "responsible" '08 G35 sedan, quickly got bored of it and traded that in for an '06 Z06. The threat of losing my job forced me to sell that wonderful machine and get back into another Cobra. Of course that turned out to be a horrible decision because it sat as a broken paperweight in my garage for the past 3 years. I'm only just now seeing the light at the end of this build. Still miss my C6Z though.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have other daily drivers,.....I say keep it or you'll regret it.
I've never owned a Terminator, but I wouldn't mind owning one. Good luck man!

Users who are viewing this thread