Sell or not?

Zemedici

Established Member
You're a dummy if you sell and dont cut your friend off some of your $5.5K profit.

i'd throw him a bone, but it wouldnt be no 50/50 split. Opportunity, my friend. His friend could have asked more for the truck, no one forced him to sell it. A couple hundred bucks maybe. The OP is the one having to go through the work of cleaning up the boat, making sure its running right, selling it, etc. Few hundred bucks to the friend and he should be more than happy - He did NOTHING. Anymore and he can get ****ed.

Kornilov

Established Member
i'd throw him a bone, but it wouldnt be no 50/50 split. Opportunity, my friend. His friend could have asked more for the truck, no one forced him to sell it. A couple hundred bucks maybe. The OP is the one having to go through the work of cleaning up the boat, making sure its running right, selling it, etc. Few hundred bucks to the friend and he should be more than happy - He did NOTHING. Anymore and he can get ****ed.

From my perspective, I say an even dime would be perfect. That way the friend gets $4500 for a $9K boat and OP still makes off with a healthy $4.5K for his time and effort. OP feels good inside and also does something to preserve and grow a friendship, which over the long run makes $1K look like chump change.

Last edited:

03moneypit

Established Member
that kind of profit it would be gone if it was me unless I really like it. I bought one last year took it out a few times had a great time but if someone offered me more than double what I payed for it its gone. only way I wouldn't get ride of it is if it was rare or and sentimental value.

Zemedici

Established Member
From my perspective, I say an even dime would be perfect. That way the friend gets $4500 for a $9K boat and OP still makes off with a healthy $3.5K for his time and effort. OP feels good inside and also does something to preserve and grow a friendship, which over the long run makes $1K look like chump change.

Or the guy 'feels entitled' to more money (which would be the more common practice, imo) and it could potentially destroy a friendship. The friend should have put the time into cleaning the boat and he could have sold it for money. Its not OP's fault he made a good business decision. The friend isnt entitled to anything. If he wants to give his friend some of the cash, cool. If not, cool. None of the friend's business IMO. Once he signed the title over its no longer his concern. Same as if the OP paid for the boat and then promptly lit it on fire. What's it matter? The friend got paid :lol:

Kornilov

Established Member
Or the guy 'feels entitled' to more money (which would be the more common practice, imo) and it could potentially destroy a friendship. The friend should have put the time into cleaning the boat and he could have sold it for money. Its not OP's fault he made a good business decision. The friend isnt entitled to anything. If he wants to give his friend some of the cash, cool. If not, cool. None of the friend's business IMO. Once he signed the title over its no longer his concern. Same as if the OP paid for the boat and then promptly lit it on fire. What's it matter? The friend got paid :lol:

OK.

Its called class and honor. If the friend is some stranger, absolutely then this is a good business decision. If the friend is actually someone OP cares about, he should consider going the extra mile to take care of a friend in a tight spot even though it isn't required of him (the OP).

Zemedici

Established Member
OK.

Its called class and honor. If the friend is some stranger, absolutely then this is a good business decision. If the friend is actually someone OP cares about, he should consider going the extra mile to take care of a friend in a tight spot even though it isn't required of him (the OP).

He already did that once buy buying a boat from him. :shrug:

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
First off, my "friend" is more like a mutual acquaintance. He is one of my girlfriends friend's boyfriend lol. He is not going to get a dime if I make money off this boat. He makes more money than I do, and chooses not to be responsible with it. This is not my fault, and in no way shape or form do I owe him anything other than what I have already given him. I am diligent with my money, keep a reserve, and you're telling me since I have done the right thing with my money and he would rather spend his partying, that I should take the RISK of buying the boat, making sure it has no issues, spend hours cleaning it, that now if I sell I owe him something? **** that.

Zemedici

Established Member
Lol. So if I sold you my brand new Hellcat for $25K because I needed money yesterday and you turned around and sold it for $55K, are you doing me a favor?

yeah I gave you the 25k didnt I? If you wanted 55k for it you should have sold it for 55k? :shrug:

I dont understand the argument. Its not the OPs fault the guy accepted xxx for the car when it could be sold for more. No one held a gun to his head.

Zemedici

Established Member
First off, my "friend" is more like a mutual acquaintance. He is one of my girlfriends friend's boyfriend lol. He is not going to get a dime if I make money off this boat. He makes more money than I do, and chooses not to be responsible with it. This is not my fault, and in no way shape or form do I owe him anything other than what I have already given him. I am diligent with my money, keep a reserve, and you're telling me since I have done the right thing with my money and he would rather spend his partying, that I should take the RISK of buying the boat, making sure it has no issues, spend hours cleaning it, that now if I sell I owe him something? **** that.

Thank you. Voice of reason. Maybe he'll listen to you over me. hahahaha

Kornilov

Established Member

Fine, if he's an acquaintance, then that changes the issue somewhat. I would never do what you're doing to a 'friend' - at least not if I wanted to maintained a relationship or if I gave a shit about him.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
**** that, you couldn't pay me money to sell my boat. I realize this isn't profound but you gotta use a boat to enjoy having one. Time I spend on the water with my son: priceless. If you're not using it, take the money and run.

We do use it, alot actually, to be honest even if I sold it I would be looking for another boat in the 8K range, and put 1K in my pocket.

sell. you kidding? Put it down on a new Wakesetter

digi51831886.jpg

That thing would be ruined the minute I dumped it in the saltwater. And I have thought about putting a nice healthy downpayment on a newer bigger rig, but I hate financing toys and I love knowing if I ever did get in a pickle I could immediately dump this boat outright.

Had it been me the thread would be about how I flipped a boat and what to do with the profits. Sell.

That's pretty funny.

I'd sell before it starts costing money, or run it for the summer and sell it still for a profit.

This was my plan the entire time. Run it for the summer, and sell it right before the winter for about 7500-8k and still make a nice profit. To be honest it has a very nice 05 Mercury saltwater 90 on it. Good compression on all cylinders, fires right up, and runs great, I really don't know what could go wrong from now until then.

Zemedici

Established Member
Fine, if he's an acquaintance, then that changes the issue somewhat. I would never do what you're doing to a 'friend' - at least not if I wanted to maintained a relationship or if I gave a shit about him.

My friends finances are quite frankly none of my business. If he wants to sell me something cheap to help you out, that's fine. But that's the end of it. I'm not going to help you pay your mortgage with the money I make with my wisER business endeavors. That doesnt mean 'i dont give a shit about my friends', it means they're grown ass men and should look out for themselves.

Last edited:

weems

Mach Won
Established Member

I still consider him a friend, but honestly if me and my girlfriend broke up I would probably not have a relationship with him any longer, but either way, it is in no way shape or form my fault that he makes poor decisions with his money. Since I am financially responsible I can afford to do things like this, and since he is not, he has to pay the consequences. You must be a democrat.

Zemedici

Established Member
I still consider him a friend, but honestly if me and my girlfriend broke up I would probably not have a relationship with him any longer, but either way, it is in no way shape or form my fault that he makes poor decisions with his money. Since I am financially responsible I can afford to do things like this, and since he is not, he has to pay the consequences. You must be a democrat.

:lol:

Branhammer

Established Member
Sell that shit. That's a hell of a profit to put toward a better boat. Or better yet, something else. I'm biased against boats though, personally.

I really don't know what could go wrong from now until then.
It's a boat...so....a lot. Haha

"The second best day of your life is the day you buy a boat. The BEST day of your life is the day you sell it."

Of course, I hear boats have come a long way in the last 10 years or so.

Last edited:

Kornilov

Established Member

Im not a democrat, youre the one that sounds like a hoodrat Obama fone hustler.

C0bra99

Established Member
Wow, How some people treat friends who needs enemies. If he is a friend then paying a fair price is ok to help him out. Stealing it because he's down on his luck is not being a friend and just taking advantage of a person and his situation. Ok if you don't know the person, but sort of a douche move if it's a friend or relative.

Branhammer

Established Member
Wow, How some people treat friends who needs enemies. If he is a friend then paying a fair price is ok to help him out. Stealing it because he's down on his luck is not being a friend and just taking advantage of a person and his situation. Ok if you don't know the person, but sort of a douche move if it's a friend or relative.

He already explained this guy is not a close friend. Just and acquaintance. And the guy makes more money than he does and is just stupid with his money. I swear no one reads around here.

Financial irresponsibility leads to much deserved consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread