Sell for a Classic???

coild

Established Member
Help me out, fellow Terminator owners!!

I'm getting a really weird 'bug' about selling my nearly stock, 2003, 18,000 mile garage queen Terminator for a 1970's classic Mustang.
Have been thinking about buying a 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland 4V and a 4 speed. Probably looking for a clean original or older restored one.
I'm no stranger to 1971 Fords.
I have owned two different 1971 Boss 351's, (the ultimate muscle Mustang of its time) a '71 Mach 1 with a 351C 4V, 4 speed & Ram Air, '71 Sports Hardtop; 351C 4V, 4 speed & Ram Air.
Also a 1971 Torino GT with the 429 CJ, 4 speed & a Shaker.
I turn 50 in April... maybe it is just a case of getting old... not sure. There is just something 'special' I miss about the old classic muscle cars. Especially how great they sound at an idle.
I love the Cobra, but I'm on the fence if my heart really belongs to the old classics.

I look forward to your input. Thanks!!

Last edited:

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
Help me out, fellow Terminator owners!!

I'm getting a really weird 'bug' about selling my nearly stock, 2003, 18,000 mile Terminator for a 1970's classic Mustang.
Have been thinking about a 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland 4V and a 4 speed.
I'm no stranger to 1971 Fords.
I have owned two different 1971 Boss 351's, (the ultimate muscle Mustang of its time) a '71 Mach 1 with a 351C 4V, 4 speed & Ram Air, '71 Sports Hardtop; 351C 4V, 4 speed & Ram Air.
Also a 1971 Torino GT with the 429 CJ, 4 speed & a Shaker.
I turn 50 in April... maybe it is just a case of getting old... not sure. There is just something 'special' I miss about the old classic muscle cars. Especially how great they sound at an idle.
I love the Cobra, but I'm on the fence if my heart really belongs to the old classics.

I look forward to your input. Thanks!!

Are you talking about making an even swap between individuals, or a dealer, or selling the 2003 car and using the cash to buy the 71? That would have alot to do with it, if it was me.

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
If you love the speed, then stay with the cobra. I'm 42 and love the speed, but I also wish I had a really nice classic to play with and just cruise and show it off. It sounds like you are in love with the older Fords which is a good thing. Go with your heart and good luck with your decision.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I'm 55 and have had some old mustangs and grew up in the era of the late 60's and early 70's mustangs. I now have an 04 cobra with 11,000 miles and some nice mods. Like you I do not drive it much except for nice sunny days and some cruises. I have come to realize how fragile life is and like having 4 wheel disc brakes,anti-lock brakes,dual airbags and all the other safety features. I do have the traction control turned off though. I cannot find these in an older mustang unless it is a restomod and I have thought of doing that at times.
GL

Last edited:

gabe1530

Banned
i have a 66 and a 03.
i think of my 66 as my old fun car and the 03 as my newer toy. the cobra gets more miles just because i love my 66 too much to drive it everywhere and im always worried about leaving it in the weather.

also, are you thinking of building one (restomod?) or just looking for a nicely restored boss?

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Im 55 as well and to be honest the cars we grew up with were great for thier time.
But a stock 68 ss396 camaro would get owned by a 300hp v6 camaro a 70 mach 1 [ i had a 69 w/323 gears great top end car in its day] couldnt touch a new gt, plus parts blah blah yada yada----the 30/04 Cobra is one of the best mustangs ever made, stock it will beat any mustang before it and w/a little bit of modding will run with just about anything.
Like a lot of us I've had GTO's 396 Chevelles, a Mach1, 5.0 and unfortunatlly for a very short period of time an 03 Cobra [ had to sell times were tight] and IMHO I would take another Cobra over ANY classic car.
Just my .02

Last edited:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Maybe a well built "66 Fastback. I'm not a fan of the '70's style. I'm sure if you do go to an older "classic" Mustang you will sorely miss the Cobra.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I did it the other way around. Sold my 68 camaro, but it was in pieces. SO i would say no.

gabe1530

Banned
well im sure youve heard the phrase, "its a buyers market"

if you have the money and time... i dont see why not have both

YellowCobra04

Established Member
I like the 1969 Mach 1's the best, and if you really want to go in style get a R-Code (428 CJ Ram Air) or Q-Code (428 CJ Non Ram Air)

Im a big fan of the FE Big Blocks if you cant tell by my sig... lol

black 10th vert

Established Member
Im 55 as well and to be honest the cars we grew up with were great for thier time.
But a stock 68 ss396 camaro would get owned by a 300hp v6 camaro a 70 mach 1 [ i had a 69 w/323 gears great top end car in its day] couldnt touch a new gt, plus parts blah blah yada yada----the 30/04 Cobra is one of the best mustangs ever made, stock it will beat any mustang before it and w/a little bit of modding will run with just about anything.
Like a lot of us I've had GTO's 396 Chevelles, a Mach1, 5.0 and unfortunatlly for a very short period of time an 03 Cobra [ had to sell times were tight] and IMHO I would take another Cobra over ANY classic car.
Just my .02

This is spot on with my feelings! I'm a bit younger (41), but have had a ton of older Mustangs, as well as a super nice '65 Cobra replica, and I can honestly say that the Terminator is the best all around car in the bunch! I miss the '65 Cobra the most of any of them, but that was mainly for the cool factor, and attention it got (of course at the time, the attention was usually a pain the a$$!:rollseyes). Keep the Cobra, and buy the older model as an extra toy if you can afford it, if not, then follow your heart!:beer:

MWoods26

Established Member
I was looking to trade a 1970 Mach 1 for a clean term. last fall on here and people were not so friendly in there replys. I ended up buying an 04 but I still have the Mach for sale.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I went that route. Bought a 70 fastback in great shape with dreams of making it perfect. Now, the advise I give is this:

Before getting that older car to restore, first dig a hole in your driveway. Each morning, before going to work, take all the money out of your wallet and drop it into the hole, then go on to work. After doing this for a few months, if that old Mustang still looks good, then go ahead and do it.

I dropped over $5,000 into that fastback and my wife couldn't tell I'd done anything. After being down for a few weeks, the float in the carb cracked and sunk. The starter would just cause a stream of gas to shoot out the top of the carb. One carb rebuild later and the brakes leaked down through a bat piston seal. It was one thing after another. The happiest day of my life was watching that Mustang loaded onto a tow truck with a check for it's sale in my hand.

Never again. The new cars are faster, handle better, are more comfotable and more reliable, not to mention they get better gas mileage. Now, there are NO HOLES in my driveway and I feel great! But that's just me. If someone gave me another old car outright, I would probably refuse it.
:pop:

landrol

Established Member
There is an appeal about the older ones. I have a '66 I'm restoring for my wife, they just have character. The rattles, the leaks, the smell... no substitute.

I think you need both.... A classic and modern era version :)

No Offense, but its good to see fellow "over 40" folks here.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
When i retire from the Military in 8 more years, i plan on getting something in the late 60's to restore with my dad. So if you can afford to have both, then i would definitely go that route. If not, i would keep the Cobra.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I'd sell mine to go toward a nice e body mopar :)

A 67 -69 lsx camaro would be cool too

JymBart

Established Member
I've owned a 19971 Boss 351, .. loved it more than life only had 10,000 miles on it when I sold it after having it for 10 years. I always wanted to get another one, .. even after I bought and still have two Cobras, . I still wanted that 1971 Boss 351 Mustang. Until I had a chance to drive one a few years back. It only took about a half hour of driving .. I couldn't believe how much I disliked the car, ....it was a beast. Guess I like the way the Cobras perform better, ..... and being able to have AC goes a long way, .............. but still.

You"ll regret not having the Cobra.

mrose75

Established Member
Who wouldn't want a classic Mustang? And you grew up in the era of muscle cars, too. Nostalgia is a powerful mutha... Go with your heart, I'm sure it'll keep you just as happy as the Cobra, but mean more to you. I spend some of my childhood in Germany and my wife drives an '07 BMW 335i, but I always stop and stare at the late 80s 635CSIs. I absolutely love them. And they don't have all the fancy bluetooth, navigation, twin turbo'd engine, etc. I would sell my Infiniti for one pretty quick if the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread