Self Tuning With SCT Pro Racer

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Dude that's awesome!! I'm hoping for about the same #'s. Our differences are I have a huge trunk ice tank, will run about 27#'s and I've also got a crusher inlet/TB. Yours is cammed and I'm not. I'm curious to see how you do in 1/4 (et & mph).

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Dude that's awesome!! I'm hoping for about the same #'s. Our differences are I have a huge trunk ice tank, will run about 27#'s and I've also got a crusher inlet/TB. Yours is cammed and I'm not. I'm curious to see how you do in 1/4 (et & mph).
Are you stock block? I'm going to talk to my guy about putting a 2lb lower on after I do my cooling mods. I need to see if I have enough injector for 27-28lbs. Don't want to push it too much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have a Teksid with main and head studs and Gibtecs that are 9.5:1. I think you should be able to get into the 9's with your setup right now. What's your end goal?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I was gonna wait until Friday to post when I picked up the car. Ended up making 711whp @ 25lbs of boost. I don't have any other details yet. It was hot out today (91) and he said Iat2's were hitting 150's. So I guess I'll invest in some cooling mods and hit the rollers again in the fall.

He did say he got a good tune, no problems, and drivability should be good.

When I get the car back I'll have a dyno sheet, and I copy of the tune I can modify if I wish. I'll probably work off it to create a 93 tune.

All on all not bad / not great but I'm satisfied. I really think that when get the Iat2's under control and a bit cooler weather I'll have some nice gains.

Hey it busted 700! That's a start!

Seems a little low for the combo.....but that's a lot of heat and no one knows how much the dyno itself is a factor. Could be real stingy. Looking forward to seeing the sheet and more importantly driving impressions.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I have a Teksid with main and head studs and Gibtecs that are 9.5:1. I think you should be able to get into the 9's with your setup right now. What's your end goal?
Just to have a nice street stomper. Nothing crazy.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Hey it busted 700! That's a start!

Seems a little low for the combo.....but that's a lot of heat and no one knows how much the dyno itself is a factor. Could be real stingy. Looking forward to seeing the sheet and more importantly driving impressions.
Yup I agree a little low. I really think the heat and Iat2's probay left 30-50rwhp on the table. Yeah, can't wait to drive the thing.

Also I'm not sure if that's sae or standard correction. I also think he is very conservative on the tune.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Picked up the car this morning. My tuner said Iat2's were hitting 180's on the dyno and he got them down to 150's by jumping the ic pump. He said the computer was pulling timing and timing ended up about 18 even though he has it set for 22. With proper cooling and a cooler day he seems to think the number will be around 750 on his machine.

THE car starts, idles, and drives very nice. I still have a slight rich tip in that I will work on this summer.

He said on the phone yesterday 711 but my sheet says 701 so I'll ask him about that.

THE dyno is a mustang dyno so I'm pretty happy with the number. They tend to read low. Sometimes much much lower then a dyno jet.

Next step is cooling mods and another trip to the dyno in the fall.

Bonus: he gave me the tune so I can tweak it using my PRP software. I'll use it to tweak the tip in and build myself a 93 tune.
c4de6b7fb82266f365b1518239c10c2a.jpg

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Picked up the car this morning. My tuner said Iat2's were hitting 180's on the dyno and he got them down to 150's by jumping the ic pump. He said the computer was pulling timing and timing ended up about 18 even though he has it set for 22. With proper cooling and a cooler day he seems to think the number will be around 750 on his machine.

THE car starts, idles, and drives very nice. I still have a slight rich tip in that I will work on this summer.

He said on the phone yesterday 711 but my sheet says 701 so I'll ask him about that.

THE dyno is a mustang dyno so I'm pretty happy with the number. They tend to read low. Sometimes much much lower then a dyno jet.

Next step is cooling mods and another trip to the dyno in the fall.

Bonus: he gave me the tune so I can tweak it using my PRP software. I'll use it to tweak the tip in and build myself a 93 tune. View attachment 1645962

Use the A-B compare in PRP to see where the differences are.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
That's a good idea. He used hp tuners and pulled my tune said I did a good job. Such a good feeling to to be at this point.

Yeah. If you've got a nice, clean tip-in now, it'd be interesting to know what he changed. On the IAT2 thing, anything you can do to improve flow - headers, exhaust, cam, etc - will reduce back pressure (the thing we know as "boost") and as back pressure comes down so does temperature. A lot of folks think that higher boost is better but it's the opposite. When I was tuning my Coyote, I got boost down from 12 psi to 7 by adjusting the cam timing. Engine ran cooler, IAT2 was lower and power was unchanged.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I have all of the above. Tip in needs some work is what I was trying to say. It's not bad but can use some cleaning up. I was thinking about adjusting manifold volume.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I have all of the above. Tip in needs some work is what I was trying to say. It's not bad but can use some cleaning up. I was thinking about adjusting manifold volume.

Maybe ask your tuner about tip-in - does he have any tricks he uses? Swing by the shop, tell him how fantastically happy you are with the work he did and see if he has any tips on tip-in. Or did you do that already?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Maybe ask your tuner about tip-in - does he have any tricks he uses? Swing by the shop, tell him how fantastically happy you are with the work he did and see if he has any tips on tip-in. Or did you do that already?
I'll reach out to him at some point here really soon and see what he thinks. I'll be sure to compliment / Thank him again as I am really grateful.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Did you set up the LWFM table yet? Awesome numbers.
I don't believe he did anything with the failed maf. I will get some logging done and use the histogram to fill it in. That might help.

Again the tip in problem is not that bad. I could live with it but I'm a perfectionist lol.

Aside from that the car runs great. He even said modulars with cams can be tricky sometimes but no problem with mine.

He also said my fuel trims were just fine as far as the bank to bank difference.

Tonight I'll open up his tune and compare to mine.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
That's awesome man. Damn I can't believe your IAT2's hit 180! With my trunk ice box I can start the 1/4 at 80 degrees and finish in the 90's. This is with my 2.3 VMP tho, curious how the 3.4 is gonna be with the ice box.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
That's awesome man. Damn I can't believe your IAT2's hit 180! With my trunk ice box I can start the 1/4 at 80 degrees and finish in the 90's. This is with my 2.3 VMP tho, curious how the 3.4 is gonna be with the ice box.
I'm sure a ice box will make a big difference. Just debating trunk vs underhood. Street car so I'm keeping the heat exchanger and I'll use the ice for the dyno or if I ever take it to the track.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
The two red hoses are the feed/return, the green lever is a drain hose, the red/black connectors are wired into the stock pump wiring, I just soldered the wires and ran them all the way back to the trunk.
5DA36079-670B-4148-B65D-967D36998F5C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread