Self employed folks; healthcare?

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
20C978A3-69A4-4DB7-85A0-DD2CEED0BFC0.jpeg
2 mil. Jesus. Glad you beat it. :D
Thank you so much it was one hell of a ride. I had CNS cancer in the brain, pulled me out of my house unconscious for 3 days. They told my daughter in March I would not live through the weekend, but weird and I immediatly with chemo started gaining weight and they released me 4 weeks later in May...I can tell you how to beat it you must be in shape before you get it. If you are you have a good chance to beat it. I am a commercial fisherman and so because of that I was always in physicals shape

nxhappy

Established Member
yep it's ****ing bullshit, and the rates are going to be jumping each year.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Man I feel you pain. We pay $22,000 a year with an $8,000 deductible. I've contemplated putting that money in a HSA and self insuring myself.

96 cobra

Established Member
View attachment 1449804
Thank you so much it was one hell of a ride. I had CNS cancer in the brain, pulled me out of my house unconscious for 3 days. They told my daughter in March I would not live through the weekend, but weird and I immediatly with chemo started gaining weight and they released me 4 weeks later in May...I can tell you how to beat it you must be in shape before you get it. If you are you have a good chance to beat it. I am a commercial fisherman and so because of that I was always in physicals shape

Very badass, congrats! ...and nice to see another Long Island member on the forums.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Man I feel you pain. We pay $22,000 a year with an $8,000 deductible. I've contemplated putting that money in a HSA and self insuring myself.
You'd have to have hundreds of thousands of dollars tucked away, and be able to afford to lose it all in the event of accident of serious illness in order to truly be self insured.

The way to do it is go old school with what used to be called major medical back in the day. You only have insurance for catastrophic medical bills, (as in, have a very high deductible plan now) and you pay all your routine doc visits and prescriptions out of pocket.

Established Member
I would argue that the plan was to force the independent middle class and upper middle class into the government dependency system. Once you get on the government tit, they know you will ultimately do and vote for whatever they want. Even if its ultimately bad for you. Just look at pretty much every urban city center.
My wife went to work at the school district for the insurance. I figure $30-40K a year soft money savings. Notice how the government now has me a little in their pocket? It was the least bad option, but you know every one of those public unions expect you to tow the line. She is so far down the list we just stay unnoticed. Still crap.

beeradd

Established Member
Check into a high deductible health savings account...
I made the switch years ago and am glad I did. It is a little scary the first year until you can get your account built up but you are also not wasting any money. If you don't use it you keep it, roll it over to the next year, invest it, etc...

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Here goes:
All states are different, but here are things to consider or look at. This information is based on Ohio residents, but the federal mandates are the same for each state.

Individual policies:
Most, if not all policies are HMO network. There are no. PPO networks in Ohio. PPO is way better than HMO, but can be more expensive because of the freedom.
Consider an HSA compatible plan as it may be the only plan type offering additional tax benefits.
Add the premium and in-network and max-out-of-pocket expense to determine the real cost of care for a major health issue.
Always check if you qualify for a subsidy based on family size and household income.
Some BCBS(Anthem BCBS) no longer offer individual plans. This includes Aetna and United. These national carrier networks would be best for those that travel, if available.
If age 30 or younger, consider catastrophic coverage to reduce cost, if available and you do not qualify for a subsidy.
Group Plans:
If your self- employed, have at least two employees (hint: spouses as an example) and your company is an S Corp or C Corp, you can consider obtaining a group plan with a national PPO network. These are the best policies. One spouse can do a qualified waiver of coverage to go on one family policy ( essentially a 1 person/family plan).
A national PPO plan is now available.
Bronze individual plans usually cost less the bronze group plans, however silver group plans can cost less than silver individual plans (in Ohio).
HSA compatible plans are available in group.

Again, this information is based on Ohio healthcare. Other states may be similar, worse or better. Just some points to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
The affordable care act aka Obama care is a ****ing disaster! Everything they told us about it was a lie just to pass this joke of a bill.
Trump’s plan to repeal and replace is equally bad. Just repeal that terrible bill.
My insurance goes up every single year and I get less and less coverage through my employer.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
The affordable care act aka Obama care is a ****ing disaster! Everything they told us about it was a lie just to pass this joke of a bill.
Trump’s plan to repeal and replace is equally bad. Just repeal that terrible bill.
My insurance goes up every single year and I get less and less coverage through my employer.

This is very true as the system is failing in most states. If the ACA plan stays “as is”’ premiums will keep increasing.

The BIG issue is.....how does the government keep those that are uninsurable on a plan that has affordable premiums AND not have all taxpayers pay for it.Unfortunately, there is not an easy answer and both Dems and Republicans do not want to take responsibility when the system fails and those uninsurable loose their coverage.

Personally, I think the direction needs to be a bipartisan solution. Unfortunately, both Dems and Republicans are essentially at war with each with the blame game. Neither side wants the all out failure of healthcare and loss of coverages on their watch.

Im just glad my plan is grandfathered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread