Security deposit: Am I being unreasonable?

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Not unreasonable at all, in any way. Get your money any method you can, as long as you get it. They are in violation, so everything you do is on them. Most landlords/property managers are absolute parasites that would treat you like dirt if you did that to them, so respond in kind.

Well I hope it just comes in the mail and/or I get a call today or tomorrow. However, I would relish the opportunity to show up at their office, which is only 15 minutes away, if shit goes sideways. I would rather enjoy an in person disagreement. Make the scumbags squirm. I want my pound of flesh! LOL

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're definitely not being unreasonable. But getting rental deposits on time is probably a negative experience for most renters.

Getting all communication in writing is always smart (letter, email or text). Phone alone isn't always satisfactory, depending on the quality of customer service. I cancelled a supplemental car warranty package on my G70 in February and it took almost 4 months to get the refund. The worse "passing the buck" fiasco I've ever encountered.

I hope your rental office pays back your refund within the next few days. Did you take dated photos of the interior before you moved out? It's usually beneficial to take photos of walls in all the rooms. A video isn't a bad idea, either.

Last edited:

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Management companies are all crooks. Can't change my mind.

Previous tenant of current place didn't clean the carpets, management company said they would before we moved in, never did. Now in order to get my security deposit back I have to spend 1/3 of it to give them the house back in WAAAAAAAY better shape than they gave it to us.

Posts and likes are not mine.

MG0h3

Established Member
I sure hope you did a walk through with a prop manager when you moved out.

I would go back by the property and see if it looks like anyone has moved in.

If you didn’t do a walkthrough and someone moved in, you left it perfect.

And I would go down there tomorrow, or call again. Depends on your temperament. Who knows, maybe they really did just overlook it.

I’ve been a landlord for all of about 1 yr since I was 20. If I can keep a separate account for the tenant and reimburse them as soon as they are out and I’ve made any needed repairs, they sure can.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bronze123

Established Member
Well congrats on the house.

my previous lease was just as bad. We did a walk through and we all agreed it was acceptable. Yet two weeks go by and we get a check with 400 less than our 1,500 deposit. Claiming ink spot of the carpet. Major headache but look at the bright sides. You ain’t no ones source of income on something you will never own again. Plus I would call twice a day until you get the 2k back

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Is it a large corporation with rentals all over the country?
A little research on you part will locate the Operations VP an email to him mentioning the local Manager by name and throwing the local TV station in the conversation may do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

patc84

Established Member
We had a shitty managment company that we rented from, when we moved out, we made it very clear and had to in the past, that if it is not taken care of in X days, you will be hearing from my attorney. Needless to say, we got our deposit back a couple days after we were gone from there. We also left the house cleaner and nicer than it was given to us by them.

CobraG

Established Member
I don't think you're being unreasonable. When we owe money we're expected to pay it right then, 6-8 mins over the phone, however, when they owe us money it's acceptable for them to take 6-8 wks to mail a check.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Make sure to check the law and see if it says that they have xx days to state what amount, if any, they will withhold from the total amount of the security deposit. In my state it is 15 days. If they do not state within that time frame what amount they are withholding, they forfeit the ability to withhold any amount, and must pay the full deposit back to the tenant.

I say this because they may come out with a check for $1500 or something and say they withheld $500 for abc repairs, repainting, whatever other bs they make up. Tell them you need the full amount because they didn't send the initial letter within the statutory time frame enumerating any repairs and their costs/deductions from the deposit, and therefore owe the entire amount.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, we took the plunge and finally bought a house after living here for 2 1/2 years! This is house #3 for us in our third different state LOL.

Our lease ended on July 31 in our rental and Nevada law says that the landlord/property manager has 30 days to return our security deposit. Well, Sunday was 30 days, so yesterday when the mail came and the check hadn't come, I called them. It was 4:45PM (only open until 5PM) so I got the answering service. I kindly left a message. This morning around 11AM (they open at 9AM) I called and spoke to them. I told them I hadn't received my security deposit back yet and this is day #32. He said he would check on it, put me on hold, and came back a minute later and said he can't find record of it. He said he would need to put in a "help ticket" to a property manager because he doesn't have access to everything and they will have to sort it out and will get back to me. I asked when I will receive a call back because I left a message yesterday and now I'm being pawned off onto a property manager. I told him they were in violation of Nevada law. He said he understands and that he would open a ticket immediately. I told him I could be to their office in 15 minutes to pick up a check and it would be a pleasant meeting, or I could be there in 15 minutes for an unpleasant meeting if they don't get this straightened out.

Am I being unreasonable? I've been stewing over it all day. The deposit was $2K. This management company makes their tenants pay the rent 5 days in advance (so rent was always due on the 25th for the following month) and they refused to drop from the lease their policy that the tenant must have the house professionally cleaned and carpets professionally cleaned upon move out. It cost like $600 for those two services, which I provided receipts for at the time I handed in the keys. I'm ready to **** somebody up. I waited all month patiently because I know they have 30 days. I told the guy I never paid the rent late, so they should be courteous and get me my money on time, which they haven't.

I like the 2 choices of "meeting types" you offered for an in-person interaction. Nicely done! You are not being unreasonable BTW.

Ive only rented 1 time and it was almost 20 years ago... I was in my 20s before kids.. just my wife and I. We got screwed out of a $1800 deposit and it burned me up for MOOOOOOOOOOOONTHS! I couldnt get it out of my head. We rented from some bitch woman who was literally crazy.... i saw the signs early and should have reacted. I was young and could have really used that money back then.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I hate getting rental deposits back. Learned a harsh lesson once when I was 20. Bought a house 2 years ago and was looking forward to my 2k deposit back. I wore a go pro around ny neck and had a walk around done in person. The inspector said everything was good and we would be getting our full deposit back. Ended up only getting 300 back due to un foreseen repairs..... Yeah went to court they paid up and court fees. Never again trusting any company that owes me money. Be proactive!!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I'll let you guys know what comes of this. I spoke with the property manager and he said the check was mailed and should arrive today...Friday at the latest. I told him if it doesn't arrive I'll be picking it up in person on Monday morning. Ball is in their court.

As far as the amount is concerned, we asked for them to recommend a cleaning company and carpet cleaner so they can't come back and say "you used an unsatisfactory vendor." The woman who owned the cleaning company said that she had cleaned that house for them in the past. She wondered if we even lived in it for the past two years it was so clean. LOL We have it all documented (pics, etc.)

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
LOL We have it all documented (pics, etc.)

Good!

I had an apartment complex tell me there was a "smell" after I moved out and they had to remove and replace all carpet because it was badly stained. I sent them detailed photos of the place immaculately cleaned top to bottom and asked for them to point out the stains in the photos. They replied with an apology and that my full deposit would be returned. Rental places are the worst.

I hope you get your full amount and good luck with everything.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, we took the plunge and finally bought a house after living here for 2 1/2 years! This is house #3 for us in our third different state LOL.

Our lease ended on July 31 in our rental and Nevada law says that the landlord/property manager has 30 days to return our security deposit. Well, Sunday was 30 days, so yesterday when the mail came and the check hadn't come, I called them. It was 4:45PM (only open until 5PM) so I got the answering service. I kindly left a message. This morning around 11AM (they open at 9AM) I called and spoke to them. I told them I hadn't received my security deposit back yet and this is day #32. He said he would check on it, put me on hold, and came back a minute later and said he can't find record of it. He said he would need to put in a "help ticket" to a property manager because he doesn't have access to everything and they will have to sort it out and will get back to me. I asked when I will receive a call back because I left a message yesterday and now I'm being pawned off onto a property manager. I told him they were in violation of Nevada law. He said he understands and that he would open a ticket immediately. I told him I could be to their office in 15 minutes to pick up a check and it would be a pleasant meeting, or I could be there in 15 minutes for an unpleasant meeting if they don't get this straightened out.

Am I being unreasonable? I've been stewing over it all day. The deposit was $2K. This management company makes their tenants pay the rent 5 days in advance (so rent was always due on the 25th for the following month) and they refused to drop from the lease their policy that the tenant must have the house professionally cleaned and carpets professionally cleaned upon move out. It cost like $600 for those two services, which I provided receipts for at the time I handed in the keys. I'm ready to **** somebody up. I waited all month patiently because I know they have 30 days. I told the guy I never paid the rent late, so they should be courteous and get me my money on time, which they haven't.

Send a certified letter to the management company demanding your deposit. This will get their attention and let them know that you are not ****ing around.

That said, most states have a grace period after move out. In MN it was 45 days. I used to own rental property and hated my renters so I would ride it out to the last day. Also it is pretty easy for landlords to take some or all of the deposit. I would bill for time to inspect, light bulbs, keys, etc. Like I said I hated my renters and made it a game to **** with them. Hopefully your landlord does not piss icewater.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Maybe i missed it, but during youre exit walk through did they say you are getting the entire amount back? What day did you do the final walk through?

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Send a certified letter to the management company demanding your deposit. This will get their attention and let them know that you are not ****ing around.

That said, most states have a grace period after move out. In MN it was 45 days. I used to own rental property and hated my renters so I would ride it out to the last day. Also it is pretty easy for landlords to take some or all of the deposit. I would bill for time to inspect, light bulbs, keys, etc. Like I said I hated my renters and made it a game to **** with them. Hopefully your landlord does not piss icewater.

We left the place in better shape than it was in when we moved in. Like I said, we were great tenants. We had owned a house in Ohio when we lived there and in Wisconsin as well. When we moved to Vegas it took us some time to figure out where we wanted to be so we ended up renting for almost 3 years before pulling the trigger on buying. Being former homeowners (multiple times) we took care of the place and always notified the property management when something was wrong, even when it wasn't an emergency.

Maybe i missed it, but during youre exit walk through did they say you are getting the entire amount back? What day did you do the final walk through?

I don't know how much we are getting back yet. Today they told me the check was in the mail and should arrive by Friday. Our lease was up on July 31 but we had the house and carpets cleaned on July 28. Keys and walk through happened on July 29.

Users who are viewing this thread