Second Daily Driver - 2010 Ford SHO

Ryushin

Established Member
I was looking forward to picking up the new 2010 Ford SHO for a second daily driver or when I don't feel like driving the Cobra (Does that ever happen?) and driving in the snow. Well, that evaporated after reading this review:

First Drive: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO offers excellence without emotion

It's a giant pig at 4,368 pounds. The end paragraph sums it up:

"In the end, we prefer to think of Ford's highest-spec Taurus as a compellingly priced full-size luxury car for those who aren't hung up on expensive labels. It's an exceptional executive express, and it'd surely be a monumental partner on a transcontinental journey. It's even a great sleeper in the grand tradition. But it isn't a sport sedan. And to us, at least... that means it isn't really a SHO."

Such a shame. I guess I'll have to find something else. I was originally looking at an Acura RDX but put that on hold after hearing that the SHO was coming out again. Maybe I'll look at the new TL or the RDX I guess.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I was looking forward to picking up the new 2010 Ford SHO for a second daily driver or when I don't feel like driving the Cobra (Does that ever happen?) and driving in the snow. Well, that evaporated after reading this review:

First Drive: 2010 Ford Taurus SHO offers excellence without emotion

It's a giant pig at 4,368 pounds. The end paragraph sums it up:

"In the end, we prefer to think of Ford's highest-spec Taurus as a compellingly priced full-size luxury car for those who aren't hung up on expensive labels. It's an exceptional executive express, and it'd surely be a monumental partner on a transcontinental journey. It's even a great sleeper in the grand tradition. But it isn't a sport sedan. And to us, at least... that means it isn't really a SHO."

Such a shame. I guess I'll have to find something else. I was originally looking at an Acura RDX but put that on hold after hearing that the SHO was coming out again. Maybe I'll look at the new TL or the RDX I guess.

i've driven the new taurus at the dealership without the sho package, and it runs out nice

i'd wait til one hits the lot and drive it before you discount it, i think the car is going to be pretty nice, most luxury sedans are around 4200 lbs or so, so the weight isn't ridiculous, hell the challenger weighs about 4200

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I like the 1st generation SHOs. The newest model is one ugly ass car.

Ryushin

Established Member
It's a sport sedan. It's supposed to be competing with the BMW, Mercedes, and the like cars. Not acting like a porker that can go fast in straight line and do little else.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It's a sport sedan. It's supposed to be competing with the BMW, Mercedes, and the like cars. Not acting like a porker that can go fast in straight line and do little else.

the car has a sport tuned suspension for handling, a 365hp engine

you are interested in the car, you like the car, and now your badgering it over one article when you've never seen or even sat in the car?

it's far from a drag car???

go drive one and then make a decision for yourself, like i said, i've driven the reg 10 and they are pretty nice

i imagine the sho is going to be way nicer

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
here ya go, heres another review of the car

The return of the high-powered daily driver on par with the V8 offerings of upscale competitors at a fraction of the price. Quite possibly the “sleeper of the year”.

More of everythingAlready building on a solid foundation, Ford has upped the ante, bringing back the famed SHO nameplate to the Taurus model. You can pronounce it S-H-O, or just SHO (like “show”)- either way it stands for more power, better fuel economy, and a revised suspension system that when rolled together give you Super High Output.

Starting with the same 3.5L V6 found in Taurus SE, SEL, and Limited, Ford engineers added twin-turbochargers. The complete package, called EcoBoost, offers V8 engine levels of power while maintaining V6 engine levels of fuel economy. While the normally aspirated version of the Taurus pumps out a none-too-shabby 263-horsepower- the SHO with it’s EcoBoost V6 takes things one-hundred and two steps further. Power output has been raised to 365-horsepower.

Horsepower isn’t the only thing Ford engineers have added to the SHO to make it special. Unique spring and damping tuning on the suspension, better steering turn in and responsiveness, and larger wheels add some serious handling creds for what is basically a family sedan. Ford has also tuned the SelectShift transmission for quicker downshifts. For example, a 4-3 downshift in the SHO takes only .5 seconds, whereas the same shift in a BMW 335i takes nearly twice as long. It’s comparisons like this that remind us the Taurus SHO isn’t just a pretty face- it’s been designed as a serious sport sedan.

Adding to the mix, the SHO comes standard with all-wheel-drive, 19″ wheels HID headlamps, push button start, leather trimmed Miko Suede seats, and a tasteful rear spoiler. Optional 20″ wheels are there if you are so inclined.

Also an option if you live in warmer climates an SHO performance pack. It offers performance brake pads, EPAS calibrated steering, the ability to turn AdvanceTrac completely off, a 3.16 final drive ratio, and 20-inch Goodyear F1 tires.

Comparing the SHO to its closest competitors, the Pontiac G8 GT, Dodge Charger R/T, and Chevy Impala SS, it’s hard to deny the advantage Ford has given it. The Charger R/T slightly bests the SHO in power at 368, but falls short of the SHO’s fuel economy. The G8, slightly below in power, also can’t touch the EcoBoost V6’s fuel sipping nature. The Impalla comes closer, only down by 1-mpg, but falls way short of the SHO in horsepower.

Ford is even so brash to compare the Taurus SHO to upscale sedans like the Audi A6. Fuel economy and power are nearly the same between the two, but you can buy the Taurus for nearly $20k less. As you can see- the SHO is a lesson in economics. More power, more fuel economy, and a lower price. It’s what makes the SHO an incredible entry into this segment.

Behind the wheelAfter driving a 2010 Taurus Limited the prior day, Ford set us out to drive in the twisty roads of northeast North Carolina. Switchbacks, steep inclines, and awe-inspiring views in the SHO. These are not a set of roads you want to send a group of journalists out on unless you are completely sure your car will stack up.

And the SHO does. All of our complaints from the previous day’s drive (slow steering, okayish acceleration) became a distant memory. As we bustled up and through the mountains it was almost too easy to forget we were behind the wheel of a four-door full-size sedan. The EcoBoost V6 is strangely un-turbo like. Only once did we catch the faintest whiff of wastegate noise. Low-end torque is so abundant, turbo-lag is a complete non-issue.

With all the standard features of the Taurus Limited and a blatant heap of power- we were coddled in comfort at the same time we carved up with glee some of the tightest roads we’ve driven on. It’s the same experience you would have only expected out of a BMW or Audi- except your driving a Ford… and a Taurus to boot. Suddenly everything we knew about what this segment should be turned fuzzy.

ConclusionI’ll openly admit I’m a sucker for a good sports car. At the same time, I’d never turn away luxury, which is why I’ve been a fan of BMW and Audi for a long time. No US automaker has even come close to the refinement and driving experience the Germans have seemed to perfect- until now. No, the interior isn’t as nice as an Audi and you don’t quite have the prestige of a BMW- but you will have considerably more money left in your pocket for nearly the same performance- not to mention quite a few pieces of technology those other guys don’t offer.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
The SHO is going to be one badass ride. Wait til the guys who tune these cars get ahold of them. I may be looking into one of these.

Silverboost

Established Member
what does it have for internals? Forged rods and pistons? I bet it could be a beast with the boost cranked up.

Do we know what the factory boost level is?

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
I rode in one at the 45th Anniversary show at Barbers.

I'm telling you, you need to test drive one before you make a decision. This is one article out of several that I've read that had anything negative to say.

This thing not only goes.....but it turns and stops just as well. The suspension is very flat and stable in hard turns and elevation changes...which in a heavy car surprised me to say the least. There was very little noticeable body roll.

And for it to be a little heavy, the binders do their job VERY well. We made a couple high speed stops and it stopped much sooner than I expected.

So, for what it's worth man, I've never put much stock in articles since everyone likes different things. I think until you actually physically test drive one, your doing yourself a disservice.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, at 4,368 I am honestly shocked it weighs that much. I saw a 2010 Taurus parked next to me yesterday. To be honest, I was very disappointed with both the exterior and the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread