Seattle shooting

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
From what I read yesterday, you have to have a concealed carry license to open carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

Other than that, WA's laws are about on par with every other sane state's laws.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Ive lived in WA State. Hard to believe OC is allowed West of the Cascades. Mentality west of the cascades is pretty much like CA

RIP to those that lost their life.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The guy that threw the bar stool at the gunman, his brother died in NYC during 9-11. He wasn't gonna die hiding under a table he stated, good for him, he is a hero.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Senseless brutality, but it was inevitable according to the killer's brother.

"The suspect's brother, Andrew Stawicki, told The Seattle Times that Ian Stawicki had long struggled with mental illness, but refused to talk about that or his anger.

"Someone like that is so stubborn, you can't talk to him," he told the newspaper. "It's no surprise to me this happened. We could see this coming. Nothing good is going to come with that much anger inside of you."

Society now is very reluctant to institutionalize people like this. They unfortunately have to commit a very violent act before anything is done to keep them off the streets. Society would rather shove drugs on them (and hope the person takes the drugs when they're supposed to). So we have ticking time bombs all around us. One has to question with his unstable mind how he got those two guns. Likely illegally. Pretty scary to consider how many nutcases there are out there, walking the streets carrying weapons. Reminds me of that movie 'Falling Down' with Michael Douglas.

I commend the guy who threw the bar stools. He put himself in harm's way to save others. He's a hero!

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Did not know that... too bad someone wasn't carrying. I agree the guy who actually did something is a hero, if the title is ever deserved he certainly earned it. IMHO

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
From what I read yesterday, you have to have a concealed carry license to open carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

Other than that, WA's laws are about on par with every other sane state's laws.

I've actually almost gotten in trouble for this. If you have your CPL then the gun has to be on your person while driving the vehicle. I got pulled over with the gun between my seat and console because it was uncomfortable to drive with and they threatened to confiscate it. If you don't have a CPL then it has to be in a case, in the trunk, separate from the ammunition.

Ive lived in WA State. Hard to believe OC is allowed West of the Cascades. Mentality west of the cascades is pretty much like CA

RIP to those that lost their life.

The laws here are very relaxed I'd say considering where we are and how liberal the state is. I sold all my guns because I had nowhere to keep them close by while I live on base. But after all this craziness going on lately it's making me want to get another pistol. It's almost that you don't worry about yourself necessarily, it's just that you never know what situation you might run into and what assistance might be needed. Someone carrying might have been able to save 1 or 2 more lives in this situation.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
One has to question with his unstable mind how he got those two guns. Likely illegally.

I saw an article yesterday talking about how we need to ban all guns now and they were asking the same question. Unfortunately (as biased as the media can be) your first guess differs from the reason they came up with.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Truly unfortunate.

Props to the guy with the chair. Everything becomes a weapon in a situation like that.

I won't be surprised if it comes to light that a family member got him the gun. The ones who knew he was troubled the most.

Too bad someone wasn't able to take him out before anyone died. I support open/concealed carry.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Truly unfortunate.

Props to the guy with the chair. Everything becomes a weapon in a situation like that.

I won't be surprised if it comes to light that a family member got him the gun. The ones who knew he was troubled the most.

Too bad someone wasn't able to take him out before anyone died. I support open/concealed carry.

ATF Form 4473 said:
Question 11f:
Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

Question 11.f. Adjudicated Mentally Defective: A determination bv a court,
board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked
subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease:
(I) is a danger to himself or to others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract
or manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (I) a finding of insanity by a
court in a criminal case; and (2) Those persons found incompetent to stand trial or
found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.

Committed to a Mental Institution: A formal commitment of a person to a
mental institution by a court, board, commission. or other lawful authority. The
term includes a commitment to a mental institution involuntarily. It also
includes commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness. It also includes
commitments for other reasons, such as for drug use. The term does not include a
person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental
institution. Please also refer to Question ll.e. lor the definition of a prohibited​
person.

without knowing his mental history it's quite possible that he was not prohibited from purchasing a firearm. and then there are always private sales with much fewer restrictions, especially if the state allows for face to face private sales without the need for a background check.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread