Scuba Diving thread

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My oldest is certified, and certified as a fireman. My oldest grandson (his kid) now wants to learn.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I started when I was 12. Grew up watching Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt. I was hooked. Great discipline for a kid to learn.

Established Member
I believe I'd be breathing a lot faster and camera shaking a fair amount more than you.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not that bad. These Caribbean grey reef sharks are pretty docile. They get a little animated when there are speared fish in the water however.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
It's not that bad. These Caribbean grey reef sharks are pretty docile. They get a little animated when there are speared fish in the water however.
No it's when you get bumped by a 25 ft Hammerhead when things get interesting. Big problem with them is their eyesight is garbage and so have no idea where you and said food is. The one shark I do not trust is Bull, you look up shark attacks and they are NO 1. by a country mile. My friend says he has 3 spear guns all cocked and ready if he knows Bulls are in the area. He's a Lionfish exterminator off of the Atlantic and Gulf coast of Florida, lives in Coral Gables, sadly these fish has done irreparable damage to the Florida waterways and habitat, as people just keep releasing them in said ocean and gulf and so keep eating and ravaging the local fish population.

Last edited:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, bull sharks are, by far, the most dangerous, based on attack numbers. Would not want to have one hanging around. These reef sharks kind of reminds me of a dog that wanders the neighborhood looking for scraps. Usually pretty mellow.

The lionfish have done serious damage to reef fish in Cayman as well. The guides spear regularly, but I'm sure there are plenty beyond diving depths.

rborden

Established Member
I’m scared of everything in the ocean. That’s a big fat nope for me.

But cool video. I don’t mind watching it on tv or the computer from the comfort of my home.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Understandable. When you're in the ocean, you're not at the top of the food chain. On the other hand, if you go walking through the woods, you're not at the top either.

Zemedici

Established Member
Always wanted to go, have done some shallow snorkeling in the keys and loved it.

Was a lifeguard in earlier years so strong swimmer, parents always had pools. Guess I’ll be going solo, cuz wife is afraid of the ocean lolol

Jealous, awesome videos

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Always wanted to go, have done some shallow snorkeling in the keys and loved it.

Was a lifeguard in earlier years so strong swimmer, parents always had pools. Guess I’ll be going solo, cuz wife is afraid of the ocean lolol

Jealous, awesome videos
So easy now a days to get certified. You do the bookwork online. Do a couple of sessions in a pool, then do 1 or 2 open water dives and you're good to go. Back when I started, they taught you a lot more. PADI, a certifying agency, had broken a lot of those disciplines into separate certifications. The joke is, what does PADI stand for? Put Another Dollar In. I hate to say it, but I've seen people diving that shouldn't be. Big fat guys with a zipper running up their chest etc. Scary.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
This was over 11 years ago on Little Cayman. The Grouper there are almost tame.
IMG_6845.JPG

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, have done plenty of diving in Puget Sound, but once you get in tropical water, it's hard to get back into the Sound.

The thing about PNW water, it's not very clear. Sometimes things can sneak up on you right in front of your face. However, I did some diving off the coast of Washington between it and Vancouver Island, and it was as clear as any tropical water I've been in.

I've also been face to face with a Wolf Eel. Look it up. I think it's what all alien monsters are modeled after.
Generally, it's pretty tame down there. Wish I had a picture of a rock wall I saw in the Sound many years ago. It was covered in white anemones. That white contrasted with the green of the water was absolutely beautiful.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Yes, have done plenty of diving in Puget Sound, but once you get in tropical water, it's hard to get back into the Sound.

The thing about PNW water, it's not very clear. Sometimes things can sneak up on you right in front of your face. However, I did some diving off the coast of Washington between it and Vancouver Island, and it was as clear as any tropical water I've been in.

I've also been face to face with a Wolf Eel. Look it up. I think it's what all alien monsters are modeled after.
Generally, it's pretty tame down there. Wish I had a picture of a rock wall I saw in the Sound many years ago. It was covered in white anemones. That white contrasted with the green of the water was absolutely beautiful.

I remember seeing a Wolf Eel up close and personal at an aquarium when I was a kid and they are absolutely terrifying looking. Pretty much what monsters are made of. My old barracks was on an inlet of tye Sound and we would fish and jump in the water periodically and I saw some weird ass shit swimming in those waters. The Sound is also home to prehistoric sharks.

Users who are viewing this thread