School me on salt water pools

lilcoop03

Established Member
Too many variables for us to know how long to run your pump to keep the pool clear, and to generate enough chlorine.

I'll say this again, get yourself a good test kit, know what's going on in your water. Stay out of the pool stores and don't waste your time with test strips. I recommend this kit TF-100 Test Kit ™ and get the salt water test kit K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

Do some reading on this site, you won't need to go anywhere else Trouble Free Pool

Start up and closing... Swimming Pool Start-up and Closing

Thanks!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do a bucket test like Dale said.
Fill a bucket with pool water and mark it and set it on the top step. Also mark the water level in the pool.
If they both go down the same, evaporation. If the pool goes down, but the bucket doesn't you have a leak.
The evaporation may be more up there because you don't have pool cages.

I imagine the bucket will always evaporate a little more, as the temperature of the water will be warmer.

Mine drops about an inch a day or so when it's 90+ outside.

lilcoop03

Established Member
overnight bucket test looks good so far. going to check it again this evening when I get home. Local pool store guy said its completely normal to lose the amount I'm seeing to evaporation right now.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's why you set it on the top step in the water Nick.

ah-duh.jpg

lilcoop03

Established Member
So the pool passed the bucket test which means I'm not dealing with a leak (thankfully!) It is just that much evaporation! Sucks to have to keep the water topped off but oh well... Cool front came through last night and its supposed to be cooler through the weekend so I suspect it wont be so bad in the next several days at least.

Does anyone keep their salt pools open through the winter? Im sure you FL guys do...Im thinking of going that route instead of covering it. Just seems like a real PITA to deal with..

Coiled03

Established Member
step 1: fill pool up with dirt

step 2: drink a 30 pack and smile because you will never have to deal with a pool ever again !

That sounds like a good plan to me, assuming I had a pool in the first place.

Honestly, reading this thread, I don't know why anyone bothers.

lilcoop03

Established Member
I enjoy the convenience of the pool right behind the house. There is also a nice 800sw ft pool house with a full bathroom and kitchen. Swimming in the sun in the day is fun, but there is nothing like swimming at night with the wife!

I love the lake too for different reasons..(jet ski)

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Swimming in lakes here is great, as long as you don't mind sharing it with the gators.

And the brain-eating algae?

you mean the amoebas and don't forget the cotton mouths

if we find a house we really like and it has a pool thats one thing but I damned sure wont be having one put one in. Pools are like boats and other water toys imho - find a friend that has em and throw in beer/gas money

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My kids learned to swim in our pool in a week. Being around water it is a must. During the summer we have been busy with kids coming over. At least they all got away from fortnite for a few hours.

Me with a mop is like a frog riding a bicycle.

Users who are viewing this thread