School me on salt water pools

lilcoop03

Established Member
Hey guys, I may be purchasing a house that has a salt water pool... I've always heard they are lower maintenance than chlorine pools but I was hoping some of you can provide some first hand insight on maintaining them because I know nothing about them..

Do they have to be covered in the winter or left open year round, cost of supplies, etc etc

Thanks

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I've heard the same. Most folks who have them swear by them. I can't be super helpful, only to encourage you to do that over a chlorinated fresh water.

mtb01

Established Member
This is how mine works. When I open the pool after the winter I put about 8 bags of salt. Pool salt not the kind for a water softener. Plus I put in a pool opening kit that has the chemicals that shock the pool.
The key to the whole thing is your chlorinator that turns the salt into chlorine must be working well. They last about 5 years and are not cheap. Mine went out and it cost 500 for new a one. You’ll need to clean it after every season to take the salt build up off. If your chlorinator isn’t working properly you are screwed. Mine went out several years ago and it was a very expensive summer just trying to survive as a chlorine pool.
I’m very fortunate that my pool place is 2 minutes from my house, so about twice a week a take a sample. They tell me what I need for chemicals based on that sample. So far last several years knock on wood I haven’t needed whole lot. Most the time its to bring my PH down.
If you get a lot of rain and have to bring the water down, it’s best to get a sample tested. We recently had a ton of rain so I needed to add another 40 pound bag of salt.
Your chlorinator should have a ton of green lights that tell you when you need to add more salt, like I said I take samples to my guys at the store.
I have a cartridge filter compared to not having a sand filter. I wish I would have went with sand but didn’t know the difference. I think pool builder uses cartridges cause you have to buy new ones about every 3 years and not cheap. Plus I have to clean them several times a season.
my wife bought this cheap fountain that runs continually when pump is working and I swear it has been another thing that has helped keep my chemical expenses down. It may just be in my head, but the year we didn’t have it was more expensive year in Chemicals.
I have to close and open my pool every year because we have a winter here. If you don’t have a winter it can be open year round.
Hope this helps. Any other questions I’ll do my best to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Basic salt lessons.
It's almost the same as a regular chlorine pool, except you're making your own chlorine. The salt that's in the water goes through the cell and you're making a chlorine gas. Still chlorine, but a much friendly form. Was easier on eyes, hair, skin, clothes and it makes the water feel softer.
You'll need to watch the salt levels (most machines have a read out) and the stabilizer. You need the stabilizer in the water to actually let the pool hold the chlorine, otherwise it would just dissipate quick.
Still need to watch your PH levels depending on the type of pool.
When it's time to add salt to the pool, make sure you turn the salt chlor system off and let the pool run for 24 hours to let the salt distribute through the pool or you can possibly blow one of the boards in the machine. We don't cover our pools here, so I've zero knowledge of that.
I could go into more detail, but that's kind of the basics.
What brand of salt system is it?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Test water before adding salt. Check out Haywards salt water control boxes.

The coolest thing about the system is you skin and clothes do not smell like chlorine. Granted the sodium chloride (salt) is making chlorine through the salt cell with electrolysis versus adding chlorine manually.

There is a push button method to super chlorinate the pool after hard use or before using after seaonal pauses.

You will only lose salt if your pool has a leak, hard rains, or splash loss then refilling water level.

Salt levels, really depending on what you system recommends should be about 2700-3600ppm. The water will not taste salty or have the mildest of saline noticeable.

The company that built my pool maintained it for the first year, then we went with a local guy who has a great reputation.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Test water before adding salt. Check out Haywards salt water control boxes.

The coolest thing about the system is you skin and clothes do not smell like chlorine. Granted the sodium chloride (salt) is making chlorine through the salt cell with electrolysis versus adding chlorine manually.

There is a push button method to super chlorinate the pool after hard use or before using after seaonal pauses.

You will only lose salt if your pool has a leak, hard rains, or splash loss then refilling water level.

Salt levels, really depending on what you system recommends should be about 2700-3600ppm. The water will not taste salty or have the mildest of saline noticeable.

The company that built my pool maintained it for the first year, then we went with a local guy who has a great reputation.
You must have a Hayward Aqua-Rite system Dale.

CV355

_
Established Member
We have a saltwater hot-tub and going the salt route is worth it. Not only do you not feel dry or slimy when getting out, the water itself smells good instead of having any chemical smell.

As others pointed out, the salt electrolysis unit does require periodic maintenance and replacement eventually and is not cheap.

The cost winds up evening out, chemicals vs 5yr replacement on the salt unit.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I love my salt water pool, it's been my experience that a lot of people don't know how to take care of their pool, it's more than just keeping it "crystal clear". Most important thing you need is a good test kit, no need to visit a pool store.

My advice is to check out this site...Trouble Free Pool

lilcoop03

Established Member
Great info here, thanks. I do not know what brand system it has on it and I have never owned a pool myself of had to maintain one. It is a very nice clean well kept pool though and I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on this place. It has a 50x60 shop, large pool house, and a freaking tennis court too lol

We have mostly "mild" winters here in upstate SC and the pool will probably be used march-april through November-ish.. We did have a hell of a cold snap this past January but its rare...Might see snow here once a year and when it does, it usually melts within a day.

How much does the salt cost? What about "advice" from the pool store? If that costs anything Id rather just get the kit to do it all myself..

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Idk about you guys. But
We have a saltwater hot-tub and going the salt route is worth it. Not only do you not feel dry or slimy when getting out, the water itself smells good instead of having any chemical smell.

As others pointed out, the salt electrolysis unit does require periodic maintenance and replacement eventually and is not cheap.

The cost winds up evening out, chemicals vs 5yr replacement on the salt unit.
i have the opposite experience. I’ve been in 2 salt Water pools and both I’ve been in made me feel like a slimy slug. Hated it.

CV355

_
Established Member
Idk about you guys. But

i have the opposite experience. I’ve been in 2 salt Water pools and both I’ve been in made me feel like a slimy slug. Hated it.

Really? That's usually an indication of organics, definitely a chemical problem. I haven't been in many saltwater pools/hot-tubs, but my experiences have always been positive vs the dry/irritating hard chlorinated versions.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Great info here, thanks. I do not know what brand system it has on it and I have never owned a pool myself of had to maintain one. It is a very nice clean well kept pool though and I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on this place. It has a 50x60 shop, large pool house, and a freaking tennis court too lol

We have mostly "mild" winters here in upstate SC and the pool will probably be used march-april through November-ish.. We did have a hell of a cold snap this past January but its rare...Might see snow here once a year and when it does, it usually melts within a day.

How much does the salt cost? What about "advice" from the pool store? If that costs anything Id rather just get the kit to do it all myself..
I would have the professionals set you up initially. Our local Pinch A Penny does a pretty good job and has good prices with a knowledgeable staff.

A bag of quick dissolving salt can go from 8 to 11 dollars per 40lb bags. The biggest salt cost will of course be with the first setup.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Idk about you guys. But

The older systems did use a higher PPM than the new systems. IIRC, my old system used to call for about 4500 PPM where the new ones run between 28-3200 PPM. Big difference in the way the water feels and tastes. You can hardly taste the salt in the new ones. It's like a tear drop in taste.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
One thing to keep in mind....

Heat catalyzes the chlorine back into salt, so the hotter it is outside, the longer the chlorine generator has to run in order to maintain the correct amount of chlorine and that will affect your electric bill.

As for the comments about the Hayward units, I had the opportunity to help a neighbor rewire some of his aux relays in his this past weekend and was very impressed with the build quality of their controller. It definitely is top notch stuff.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
One thing to keep in mind....

Heat catalyzes the chlorine back into salt, so the hotter it is outside, the longer the chlorine generator has to run in order to maintain the correct amount of chlorine and that will affect your electric bill.

As for the comments about the Hayward units, I had the opportunity to help a neighbor rewire some of his aux relays in his this past weekend and was very impressed with the build quality of their controller. It definitely is top notch stuff.

This is why you keep your CYA (stabilizer) level up (70-90ppm) and get a variable or two speed pump. I make plenty of chlorine on low and it keeps my pool clear. Initial hit on the price of the pump, but big difference on the electric bill running on low.

Users who are viewing this thread